lharper

Can An Overweight Person Have Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

So, my 6 yo daughter was diagnosed with Celiac in November 2008. Because of this I certainly I have a lot more knowledge about the disease than I ever did previously. I have been having some very severe gastrointestinal symptoms, along with other unexplained symptoms including muscle and joint aches, headaches, total lack of energy etc for probably 3 years now. However, I am overweight and most of what I have read states weight loss, not weight gain, is a possible sign of Celiac. I am considering having a Celiac screen done, but was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has been diagnosed while overweight. Thanks!

Simple answer -- yes. Happens frequently.

richard

What Richard said . . . and . . .

I am considering having a Celiac screen done . . .

If someone in a family has been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, there is a much higher chance that additional family members are at risk for having it or developing it later in life (due to the genetic/hereditary component of the disease).

My daughter's GI recommended that our whole family be screened (siblings & parents). Throw in your symptoms and there is all kinds of justification for getting some blood work done.

The weight loss thing may be an indicator, because your body cannot absorb nutrients and basically starves itself. However, because of this same reason, you can end up with a severely distended stomach and not lose weight - just look puffy everywhere. For years we always thought my dad was overweight with a big belly. As soon as he went gluten-free, he lost the ENTIRE belly and gained exponentially more energy so he was better able and healthier to work out more at the gym - so all the weight came completely off. Now he is a 67 year old man who looks like a 50 year old athlete, but has the energy of a 30 year old athlete. He is very active and in amazing shape. Before he was overweight, had a heart and cholesterol condition, had a heart attack, had no energy and could barely swim and nearly drowned once (due to energy - not skill). Every single one of those reversed when he changed his diet. It is like a different man. He got so many years back.

For me, I am 5'8" and 120lbs, fit/thin build and I was skinny all through childhood. After going gluten-free I haven't had any weight change issues other than gaining a few pounds of lean muscle because my body is better able to absorb nutrients and I have more energy.

I would never look at an overweight person and tell them there is no way they have Celiac or gluten intolerance because of their weight. I think the way you feel and the symptoms you have is way more of an indicator - and remember all symptoms are symptoms you MAY experience. All of us on here have different symptoms. Even me and my dad - we are related by blood and have the same condition and do not experience it in exactly the same way.

So don't rule it out. Consider you may have it, but you may have some other condition going on as well which you should also not rule out.

Good luck :)

I believe the percentage of overweight persons with celiac disease is 34% of total persons with celiac disease. I am one. I am self diagnosed and when I finally was able to see my dr, he gave me that look. You know the one, you are not skinny, I doubt you have celiac disease.

It's likely you could have it. Your child inherited it from someone.

So, my 6 yo daughter was diagnosed with Celiac in November 2008. Because of this I certainly I have a lot more knowledge about the disease than I ever did previously. I have been having some very severe gastrointestinal symptoms, along with other unexplained symptoms including muscle and joint aches, headaches, total lack of energy etc for probably 3 years now. However, I am overweight and most of what I have read states weight loss, not weight gain, is a possible sign of Celiac. I am considering having a Celiac screen done, but was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has been diagnosed while overweight. Thanks!

Excellent answers from everyone else. My experience was that I was skinny as a kid, worked hard to gain weight through my teens, started putting on excess weight later on, lots of joint pain, rheumatoid arthritis and eventual digestive issues and finally a diagnosis this past February. Once gluten free and paleo I lost weight drastically and started gaining muscle again as my body started being able to absorb nutrients. I takes time though and everyone reacts differently. I think that makes it frustrating for medical people as it is not only hard to diagnose, but also hard to predict how the body will respond to proper treatment. The more you understand going absolutely gluten-free I think the better you will respond. I tried to go normal gluten-free with all the extra treats and alternate grains and only got less sick. It was only after going radically paleo that real health returned for me.

Yes, indeed. More than I realized. I was skinny as a kid, but at diagnosis (in my 50s) a good 25 lbs overweight.

I am self diagnosed and when I finally was able to see my dr, he gave me that look. You know the one, you are not skinny, I doubt you have celiac disease.

I think that's what I am a little afraid of.. haha. I don't want to feel stupid by asking for a test and have the doctor give me that look. -lol- I definitely think I need to get tested though. Even if it isn't Celiac, it would be good to rule it out.

Thanks everyone for the responses! Definitely gave me the push I need to get the test.

Yes, many of us are overweight rather than underweight.....please see the following threads on this forum for more info:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=59617

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=183

JoAnn :)

• Upvote 1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17032202 here it says 5% are underweight and 39% overweight. Print it out for your doctor. Mine refuses to hear or read anything, he says only severely underweight people can possibly have celiac.
  • Upvote 1