DaisyDaisy

Am I Overreacting?

Rate this topic

Hi

I know it's not anyone's place to give a diagnosis, I was just wondering if any of my symptoms sounded familiar to anyone or if someone could let me know if they thought I was either overreacting or barking up the wrong tree? I absolutely hate going to the doctor, so I'd rather have a stronger idea that I'm not just blowing things out of proportion.

I'm 26 and I've always had a weak stomach, I've had diarrhoea at least once a week for as long as I can remember. Because it's so often, I just thought that it was normal for me. I get sore stomach's a lot, often feel run down and can be super gassy. Which is lovely. I've never made an effort to stop eating certain things before but the other week I was reading about gluten intolerance and recognised a few of the symptoms so thought I'd give it a go. I was super strict for a week and felt absolutely amazing. I was full of energy, felt really happy, my stomach behaved itself entirely, it was wonderful. So I then started eating wheat again 3 days ago, just to see what would happen, and I'm back to feeling like I was before. And only in the comparison do I realise how rubbish it is. I've got a sore stomach, had D a few times, feel bloated and miserable, I'm really tired etc.

I'm just wondering if this is maybe in my head?! Like, can it really make such a difference so quickly? And if it is an actual condition or something how can I have possibly made it to 26 without having more serious problems? Also, I'm slightly over weight so am definately not malnourished or anything!

Any thoughts from anyone with experience with Celiac disease or anything else would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Daisy.

Hi Daisy. Doesn't sound like it's in your head, sounds like it's in your stomach (gut)!

I think over the years I, indeed, thought most of my symptoms were just my "norm." And "our family has always had touchy guts." Duh! That's probably because half of them (or more) no doubt have celiac disease. My son (diagnosed as an adult) and I, and I'm certain my Mom's had it most all her life - although I can't (at 79) get her down the path to testing (hard to give up your favorite things at that age?).

Your positive reaction to eliminating gluten from your diet could be telling you something.

If you do have it, it would be better to know sooner than later. Eventually my problems (which were due to malabsorption from intestinal damage) grew include migraines, roving pins and needles (neuropathy), balance problems (gluten ataxia), DH, osteopenia, in addition to the stomach and intestinal woes.

I encourage you to pursue this further. Many on this forum (and my son, too) are self-diagnosed and never felt the need for medical confirmation. There are genetic tests (http://www.celiac.com/articles/21567/1/Ten-Facts-About-Celiac-Disease-Genetic-Testing/Page1.html) to see whether or not you carry the gene for it, and the conventional blood panels (http://www.celiacdisease.net/testing) and endoscopy. I was diagnosed by both the latter.

Hi LDJ,

Thanks very much for the advice. I think I just needed a bit of confirmation that I'm not just being a hypochondriac. Most of my family have "touchy guts" too, so I just thought that I was the same. I'll make an appointment with a doctor as soon as I can. The further problems you mentioned do not sound pleasant so I'd rather face the doctor now than face them in a few years. :)

Will the week off the gluten 3 days ago affect a blood test?

Daisy

Hi Daisy,

Your story sounds very similar to mine and worth checking out.

3 days gluten-free shouldn't affect the blood test, just don't make any more diet changes if you are going to follow-through with seeking out a formal medical diagnosis.

Good luck :)

Jillian

Hi LDJ,

Thanks very much for the advice. I think I just needed a bit of confirmation that I'm not just being a hypochondriac. Most of my family have "touchy guts" too, so I just thought that I was the same. I'll make an appointment with a doctor as soon as I can. The further problems you mentioned do not sound pleasant so I'd rather face the doctor now than face them in a few years. :)

Will the week off the gluten 3 days ago affect a blood test?

Daisy