AMQmom

My Daughter Reacts To Rice Dream

Rate this topic

For all of you out there who are sensitive and can relate - my daughter reacts (gets ill) when she has Rice Dream products - including the newly labeled organic "gluten-free" rice ice cream. No doubt that it was this product that she reacted to and she will not go near it now (she is 8 and ice cream usually was a temptation). We have to use rice ice cream because of soy and dairy allergens. I wanted to let others of you out there who react to Rice Dream know that she eats the ice cream and "milk" by Good Karma and has no ill effects. I am thrilled! For those of you with soy allergies - watch out for the Key Lime Pie and some others with "cake" - they have soy flour.

I called the company to let them know how thrilled that I was not to have to always make her ice creams! We are really happy with the product and their response. I am also able to find the product in mainstream Kroger stores and Whole Foods.

Wishing you all a healthy summer!

AMQmom-

Rice Dream is processed using barley enzymes. THey say that their products are gluten-free on their site, but then say that they may contain a'residual' amount...20ppm.

http://www.tastethedream.com/info/qa_ricedream.php#faqid474

"Yes. Although RICE DREAM Beverage is processed using a barley enzyme, the barley enzyme is discarded after use. The final beverage might contain a minute residual amount (less than .002%) of barley protein."

Interesting blog post about Rice Dream and gluten:

http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/is-ri...luten-free.html

I recently started drinking Rice Dream again, after giving it up for a while because I suspected that it made me sick. In the past the carton would contain the words that it contained a minute amount of barley. Some cartons (travel size) had that wording, others did not.

The past few weeks, something has been making me sick, and once again, I suspect it is the Rice Dream. I have stopped using it , and the nausea and stomach pains have stopped.

I will never purchase this product again, obviously I'm sensitive to the small amount of barley that it contains.