Stiffy

New Member To The Glueton Free Life

Rate this topic

Hey I just got back from the VA (veterans affairs) hospital and they got the results back from a upper endosocpy that tested positive for celiac disease. I am a Iraq vet with no history of this in my family, or any symptoms. If anyone could give me some help on anything and everything that would be awesome of you thanks.

I would get elisabeth Hasselbeck's book on the gluten-free Diet because she talks about how to grocery shop & things to watch out for so you don't get sick in restaurants and how to avoid getting sick from cross contamination (like if you put your gluten-free toast in a toaster that has wheat crumbs in it). Basically the book gave me info that drs didn't tell me when I 1st found out I had celiac. I wrote a review on it & basically I felt that if I had that book when I 1st got diagnosed, it would have saved me a lot of grief.

Elizabeth Hasselback's book really does have some great information on celiac disease. It explains basically everything you need to know and should help you a lot!

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Celiacs Disease:A Hidden Epidemic was very helpful. It really explains what is happening inside your body. I'm stubborn, I always follow the rules if I know why I have to! Being military you are probably less rebellious than I am but it's still good to know why the diet works and why you can not cheat.

I encourage you to spend a little time around here reading everything you can.

I'm not really sure where to direct any help.

Do you have an idea of what foods you should and shouldn't eat?

Do you have an idea of how you're going to change what you have in your home?

Do you know about cross-contamination in your kitchen, and in other foods?

Do you know how you're going to handle this with friends/family?

Do you have special considerations (a job with travel, etc.) that complicate things?

A new, online support group serves communities along I-105, including Norwalk, California. In response to your request, "Stiffy," I'd like to invite you to visit, and to consider joining this group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/GFW105/