jasonD2

Is It Safe To Grill?

Rate this topic

Hi-

Is it safe to cook on grills that are used by other people? im going to see my family next week and we are gonna have a bbq on sunday. im concerned about CC, but would that be an issue since everything is heated? if i wiped down the grill with isopropyl alcohol would it clean off any residual gluten? i suppose i could always just grill my stuff on some aluminum foil

thx

i would cover it with foil if it were me just in case. then you could have your own section that is easily identifiable and there wouldnt be concern of the possibility that all the gluten was effectively washed away.

Gluten is not a germ or bacteria so alcohol and heat don't do anything to it. It is a sticky substance that has to be scraped and scrubbed off(if that's even possible). We have a cast iron grill that we used to use for gluten stuff but I tossed the grate in the oven on self-clean, scrubbed good, reseasoned and now it is dedicated to gluten-free only. We have a separate grill that is used when we have BBQ's for others at our home and that one is for the gluten marinated stuff. Maybe get yourself one of those wire baskets where you put your stuff between a wire mesh sandwich and it has a long handle-as long as your stuff doesn't touch the grates or other food. I don't know if that'd work, just an idea.

We always use foil when using other people's bbq's

the barbecue is unlikely to get over 600F, which is the temperature you'd need to break down the gluten by heat. so please use foil to avoid contamination.