Googles

Gluten

Rate this topic

So I'm trying to figure this out in my head. My situation: I am living in an apartment type situation (complicated don't ask) with two roommates with whom I share a kitchen. I have made myself a small area to prepare food but share the sink, stove, microwave, dishwasher and fridge. I will also sometimes put my food/plates down in their section of the kitchen (though never something I'm going to eat off of- a spoon for example). Do I need to worry about gluten getting on the bottom of my plate from their part of the kitchen? There is no way for my cooking area to be beside the stove as there is a counter on only one side. What about touching faucets and door handles. If I am washing any gluten I may have on my hands before I eat then why can't I wash it off my dishes? It seems like a lot of advice is to get new dishes. I will probably be doing this when I move next month but I was wondering about details. I can't ask my roommates to be gluten free so I know the stuff is around. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about the bottoms of your plates touching their counter. With door handles and faucets- it should be fine unless you were in a bakery covered in flour. It is good to wash hands before eating anyway, but I wouldn't worry about that being your reason for getting glutened. You can also wash dishes by hand or in the dishwasher and don't need your own set, unless you want it.

Good luck!

My DH eats gluten and I share his dishes. He also does all the dishwashing. If you're still getting sick, then look for CC.

I also have a gluten and gluten free shared kitchen with my hubby. we use the same dishes and silverware and stainless steel skillets. we use a dishwasher.

to keep my kitchen safe here are mymain precautions:

we do not share butter. he has his tub and i have mine and they are not the same brand so there is no risk of confusion. bread crumbs are spread much too easily and it is simply not feasible to use multiple knives for one piece of toast.... he has his tub to gluten to his little heart's content because everything else he has to be on his guard for me :D

gluten free stuff that is boxed can be in the same cabinet. flours cannot be...

wheat flour is usually stored on my counter in airtight containers so that i can see if it has any leaking out. if it is in the shelf above eye level i am afraid it will eventually spill out and contaminate other things.

i wash my counters every time i cook. this may not be necessary but i dont mind. its worth it. and it makes me feel i can more safely cook some of his favorites without making him feel guilty. i also label everything that i make extra of and freeze. i keep a sharpie in the kitchen and write directly on the bag or container, so no worry that stickers can fall off.

other than that you want to avoid sharing scratched teflon or cast iron cooking pans because gluten is not very easilyremoved from these items. wood is another thing. no sharing wood spoons or cutting boards! other than that there should not be any issue. i have cooked gluten and gluten free food in the same over at the same time and not been contaminated.. though if there is a possibility something may spill over even a tiny bit, i definitely do NOT recommend that. hope some of this helps a little :)

Thank you all. My symptoms have mostly always been minor so I just wanted to check as I wouldn't necessarily know if I was getting really small amounts or not (I dont' know if I would respond with symptoms). It just worried me because I am sure I got cc'ed at a restaurant and so started having questions about my own kitchen. Your advice helps me not worry until I move and then have my own kitchen all to myself.