Rate this topic

Just wanted to introduce myself!

I'm new here to the forum, though I think I had visited once before.

A friend's father who is a doctor referred me to this forum for Celiac Support.

I figure I've had Celiac Disease for a long time.

It runs in my family, and my mother, aunts, uncles, first cousins, etc etc have all been diagnosed with it.

I never realized I had it for SURE until recently though, because my DH is different than my mother's and I thought I was just sick, when I was suffering from the IBS.

My mother gets DH on her knees, face, scalp, elbows, etc etc etc, and hers turn red, and she says they itch and burn.

I only get a few here and there, and mine are only on my fingers, scalp, and toes.

I thought the ones in my hair might just be acne or something, and that perhaps I had gotten something stuck in my skin with my fingers and toes, so I never thought much of them.

Mine are clear, and just itch, until I pop them, and they are slightly irritating until they dry up and go away.

IBS was something that I didn't get often up until about a year after I gave birth to my daughter.

I suddenly found myself sick nearly every day.

I realize now it was probably because we were trying to live a healthier lifestyle, and switched to using whole-wheat products! (Lol!!!)

I called up my doctor, and told him I thought I needed to be tested.

He told me we would get the blood test, but that it was a very poor test, and sure enough, it came back negative.

He said, however, that the real test would be to quit gluten for 3 weeks and see how I felt.

So I did, and boy will I never go back!

After I quit gluten I would say I felt 80% better.

Then I realized I had become lactose intolerant, so most dairy products I had to give up, and now I would say I am 90% better.

I have been sick a few times in the last few weeks, but I was told that I was eating too many fats from the nuts in my diet, and in combination with the celiac, I was having IBS again.

Has anyone else here ever had that problem?

I was waking up in the middle of the night around 3am feeling like the food I had eaten was stuck in my stomach, and not passing out of it.

I had to go force down a glass of water, and wait until I felt it move out, and then I would have to make a trip to the bathroom, before I could go back to sleep.

This was all accompanied by abdominal cramping, and I was burping a stagnating taste.

Anyway, reading the forum has answered some of my questions, and I feel that it will be really helpful for me.

I may have to refer my mother here! Haha!

Ashley

Hi Ashley, and welcome! :)

I eat a lot of nuts with no problem. You might want to keep a food/symptom diary for a while.

I don't have your problem......just wanted to give you a proper welcome!

I'm sure someone will come along eventually that can better relate.

Many celiacs discover that because of the damage done by gluten, they also have issues with other things, such as dairy or soy. Sometimes these foods can be re-introduced after enough healing has occurred.

Many celiacs discover that because of the damage done by gluten, they also have issues with other things, such as dairy or soy. Sometimes these foods can be re-introduced after enough healing has occurred.

How long does it generally take? I've been gluten free for a few months now.