River*

Wolf Blass Wine Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

Is Wolf Blass wine gluten free?

I wish I knew, too- I love Wolf Blass... Most wines are considered "safe" although there is much controversy re: sealing oak barrels with flour paste. I'm sticking to unoaked wines just now although I LOVE oaked! I am a "super sensitive"- what bothers me may not bother you.

Good luck and !Salud!,

lisa

I contacted the company and here is what they wrote back: 06/03/09

Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Wolf Blass.

Additives that contain gluten cannot be added to still wine and dessert wine and, therefore, can be consumed safely in moderation. Australian-made sparkling wine does not contain any additives that contain gluten, but imported sparkling wine and Champagne may contain spirit derived from wheat grain.

Fortified wines and sherry, are permitted to add caramel during production. Caramel, which is additive number 150, may originate from wheat starch and hence may contain residual gluten. This cannot be known with any certainty as the identity and purity specifications referred to in the Australian Food Standards Code do not regulate the base grain from which the caramel is derived, and wine makers may source caramel from different suppliers during vintage and between vintages. Therefore, you should avoid consuming any fortified wines and sherries that include caramel among their list of ingredients on the back of the bottle label.

The French Wine Barrels that we frequently use are sealed with a flour/ water paste. However, the amount of gluten contributed to the wine from the paste would be very minimal and below the limit of analytical detection.

We strongly recommend you contact your General Practitioner to discuss this information further. Alternatively, the Coeliac Society of Australia can be contacted on www.coeliac.org.au.

Please contact us again should you have any further queries we can assist you with.

Kind Regards,

Wolf Blass Consumer Relations

1300 651 650 (Australia) | 0800 651 650 (NZ)

Thank you, River!

lisa