Chef16

Vinegar 'intolerence'?

Rate this topic

I get sick after eating anything with vinegar in it, but I don't know why! Does anyone have something like this? Can you be allergic/intolerent to vinegar?

I get sick after eating anything with vinegar in it, but I don't know why! Does anyone have something like this? Can you be allergic/intolerant to vinegar?

Yes, but it's very possible that vinegar is just too acidic for you at this time.

Sorry I left this out, I also react to foods that are cooked in any kind of wine too.

I can only tolerate a small amount of vinegar at a time--like the amount in a salad dressing. For me, I think it's the acidity of it--coffee affects me the same way.

Since the wine affects you the same way, it could be a sulfite issue too. If this cropped up soon afer going gluten-free, you may just need to heal a bit.

I've been gluten-free for a year now but thanks. I'll check out sulfites.

Although I dont have problems with vinegar, it seems to be more and more common with visitors to Hawaii. Since I work with a lot of hotel chefs, we've come up with some vinegar substitutes based on sour fruit like bilimbi and green starfruit juice as well as a number of others. Some of us think that it might be the acid as well as or instead of sulfites.

Good luck finding out, and please let us know when you do

Ken

I've been gluten-free for a year now but thanks. I'll check out sulfites.

vinegar has bothered me for years, long before becoming celiac. Not only does it affect my stomach, but my tongue swells up real big.

I also have an intolerance to sulfites, which makes vinegars and wines very hard. I have found that apple cider vinegar has the lowest sulfites. I also, as Ken suggests, use lime very often. So I make cucumber salad with lime juice, red onion, salt and pepper. But that won't help if it is the acidity.

The sulfite intolerance will make your mouth and joints swell-- if it is bad enough it can kill you. It can also give you photosensitivity, as well as a nice bright red rash. Some people experience nausea and intestinal upset as well.

One way to figure it out is to see if dried fruits, dehydrated potatoes and other high-in-sulfite foods get you too. The link tarnalberry gave you has a list of sulfite-containing foods.

Good luck figuring it out!