Laura333

What Is Current Standard Bloodwork For Celiac?

Rate this topic

What bloodwork would you expect most GP doctors to do to screen for celiac?

A few years ago, my doctor did TTG IGA and gliadin IGG and gliadin IGA, which were all negative. I'm still having symptoms that may or may not be caused by gluten, and am thinking about asking the doctor to test again. I'm just not sure he knows which test to order, so I'd like to be able to request specific ones in case he's agreeable. The lab is probably going to be Quest.

Also, I know all tests are more accurate if you're currently eating gluten. I definitely feel better off gluten, and have been trying to limit it for the last 2 years or so. I'll do real well for about 2-3 weeks, then give in and start eating it again -- a hamburger roll here, a full pasta meal there. Is that enough for bloodwork to show positive, or should I eat pasta every day for a week? a month? before requesting bloodwork?

Also, does the lab used make a difference? As I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure my insurance will use Quest.

The Celiac Research Centers recommend 3-4 slices of bread (or gluten equivalent) daily for a 6-8 week period for the optimum in serologic testing.

This is the full panel you should receive:

Antigliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgG and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.