• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Carriefaith

Celiac Friendly Restaurants In Canada

Rate this topic

in Victoria:

The Joint pizzeria has gluten-free pizza and it's GOOD!

(250) 389-2226

1219 Wharf Street

Victoria, BC

we were only there for two days but I got pizza there three times :)

I would love to hear any info about Montreal gluten-friendly places since I'm going there this summer.

bon appetit!

Wow! Moxie's has become a great place for gluten-free meals. I went to the Moxies on 7th Ave by the C-train. The manager came out and talked to me when I told the server about my allergies. He actually brought out a separate menu that they had prepared for celiacs. Everything on it was completely gluten free and it didn't cost anything extra. It was great!

Guest Viola
Wow! Moxie's has become a great place for gluten-free meals. I went to the Moxies on 7th Ave by the C-train. The manager came out and talked to me when I told the server about my allergies. He actually brought out a separate menu that they had prepared for celiacs. Everything on it was completely gluten free and it didn't cost anything extra. It was great!

Is this the Moxie's in Calgary? :o:D I'm hoping to visit there within the next year or so. We haven't been able to go for awhile since we keep going up north to help my parents out. But sometime I hope to get back to Calgary :rolleyes:

Glad we could help!

WOW :D Do you have directions to this place? I'm going to be living in the Toronto area within the next year and would love to eat there! Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your replies on restaurants in BC. I will keep those places in mind if I travel there in the future :)

Hi everyone,

new here, trying to sort out some places in Calgary for a friend who is arriving on Sunday, we have heard of Splitt, any other places?

Also, what about food, as we are new to this, please.... where do you get it? There is a health food store near us downtown, can we buy stuff there?

Any name brands you can help us with?

Any help is greatly appreciated

mairilee@yahoo.ca

Is this the Moxie's in Calgary? :o:D I'm hoping to visit there within the next year or so. We haven't been able to go for awhile since we keep going up north to help my parents out. But sometime I hope to get back to Calgary :rolleyes:

Yep. That's the Moxies in Calgary. The best location is the one downtown. It's right along 7th Ave at the 7th street C-train station. I tried the Moxies in the NW in Market Mall as well but the server was kind of ditzy. I spoke to the manager and he was more helpful. But I was REALLY impressed with everyone's knowledge of my allergies at the downtown location.

I hope you have fun in Calgary when you come!

Howdy,

Thought I should add two more places that I've been to recently in Edmonton...

The Keg on Whyte. The staff was super good about everything and was really kind about be being such a pain. She wrote everything down and double checked everything twice. It was a super busy night, one of the hockey games, and probably not a good night to go but all the same it was a success.

Von's. I highly recommend! The waitress knew exactly what celiac was, and before I even really said anything about my questions regarding choices for the way I wanted something done (I had the Ahi Tuna, which can be prepared soooo many ways) she was already prepared with the answer. She came out after she'd gone to the kitchen and said that they couldn't guarantee my choice (mango salsa) so they said they would make up a salsa just for me. I was very comfortable and could relax entirely. Again, it was a busy night, another Hockey game, haha. Do we detect a trend?

Anyway, just thought I'd post.

I've eaten very well indeed at Von's too. They are careful, in my experience.

Moncton: Vien Dong, Thai/Vietnamese.

Have gluten-free menu.

Ate there on Friday for the first time: delicious.

Elsinore

gluten-free since 94

I'm a newb and am hunting around Toronto for places to eat, though I low-carb most of the time so it's not a huge deal. I just want to know my Chinatown options!

If you do pizza and pasta, Magic Oven is AMAZING. You can have any pizza or pasta gluten-free, and they have options for dairy-free as well. They also have gluten-free chocolate cake and carrot cake. Two locations, they also deliver.

I'm a newb and am hunting around Toronto for places to eat, though I low-carb most of the time so it's not a huge deal. I just want to know my Chinatown options!

If you do pizza and pasta, Magic Oven is AMAZING. You can have any pizza or pasta gluten-free, and they have options for dairy-free as well. They also have gluten-free chocolate cake and carrot cake. Two locations, they also deliver.

I don't know about Chinatown options, I haven't eaten in Chinatown since discovering that I'm celiac. The places I would usually go to in Chinatown had a lot of wheat-based food- especially the dim sum.

Last spring I was in Toronto before officially going gluten-free- but I scouted out a few places for future visits.

I liked Ginger 2 (downtown on Yonge across from the Delta Chelsea)- they also have another location that I didn't try. The staff was very nice and seemed knowledgeable about gluten- they use rice noodles and rice paper, not wheat. But I didn't ask about all of their sauces.... soy sauce, tamari sauce, etc.

If you look into it further, let me know how it works out.

Another option I was planning to look into for future visits are some of the Ethiopian restaurants in Toronto- injera (Ethiopian flat bread) can be made from a gluten-free grain called teff. Many North American restaurants might use a teff/wheat combination or just wheat. So I was planning to call some of the Ethiopian places and see if any make traditional injera from just teff without wheat added. Here is one location, I haven't been there or called ahead yet to find out if their injera is gluten-free:

Ethiopian House

4 Irwin Ave

Toronto , ON

Phone: 416-923-5438

Cuisine: Ethiopian

My parents went to a restaurant in Cabbagetown- on Carlton. I forget the name of it, but I think I found it listed on a celiac friendly list on the Toronto CCA website. They said it was good and staff were knowledgeable about gluten-free- but it sounded a little out of my price range. I'd prefer more casual, cheaper places.

I'd love to hear about any places you find.

In Edmonton.....

OPM!!!! is excellent!!! its chinese food and its gluten free and it is soooooooo good...I miss chinese food so much cause its so chalk full of gluten.....this place has a huge gluten free menu.....The curry shrimp and the five spice beef is fabulous!!!!! i recommend it 50 times over...

also there is a chianti in edmonton too that has gluten free pasta.....

If you're ever in Ottawa, The Bella Vista Restaurant on Bank Street has incredible gluten-free pizza (no extra charge) and two or three gluten-free pasta dishes that I haven't yet tried. They also have gluten-free beer, which IS more expensive so I stick to my one glass of chardonnay... :)