This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Does Anyone Else Have Costochondritis?

Tiff

Tiff Apprentice

Hello Everyone,

I am 30 years old and started having alot of medical issues that started in Jan 2009. I have been on a journey to find out what the heck is goin on with my body.

Throughout my doctor visits I was diagnosed with costochondritis. It is a lingering pain that feels like a heart attack. I must mention that I also have Hashimotos Hypothyroid disease which I have had since the age of 14. I realize that most autoimmune diseases cluster up and I am trying to figure out which one is linked to costochondritis? I have been gluten free for one month now. Although I feel better I am still now feeling myself yet. I have read that it can take up to a year to feel better on the diet. I am considering going dairy free as well. Because I was recently diagnosed with a severe vitamin d deficiency (level 6) and I was taking 50,000 iu of D2 a week. Now I am on 5,000iu of D3 daily. I am also taking weekly shots of Vitamin B.

I am still having constipation issues and my costochondritis flares up every once in awhile. I have been tested for RA and lupus and it has been negative. My celiac blood test was also negative. And 2 Lymes disease tests were negative as well.

I'm gonna keep going to doctors until they can figure out what is going on with me.

Thank you for all responses

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am glad you are seeing some improvement on the diet. As you know it can take some time to heal. It can be hard at first getting to know the ins and outs of the diet and all that goes with it. Deleting daity for now is a good idea you can always add it back in later when you are feeling better. You also might want to consider restricting soy and then adding it back in at a different time from the dairy as that is another thing we often have problems with. Welcome to the board and I hope your issues resolve soon.

Takala Enthusiast

Yes, I've got it, it's inflammation of the connective tissues of the ribcage and is associated with AS or spondylitis arthritis, a sero negative (non rheumatoid) arthritis. Mine goes along the lower ribcage more. The inflammation moves around from body area to body area. I don't seek treatment for it because it has lessened so much after sticking to the diet for years, and the doctors here are clueless about arthritis anyway and there is nothing they can give me.

A month is not a long time, it will get better as you heal.

Tiff Apprentice
I am glad you are seeing some improvement on the diet. As you know it can take some time to heal. It can be hard at first getting to know the ins and outs of the diet and all that goes with it. Deleting daity for now is a good idea you can always add it back in later when you are feeling better. You also might want to consider restricting soy and then adding it back in at a different time from the dairy as that is another thing we often have problems with. Welcome to the board and I hope your issues resolve soon.

Hello Ravenwoodglass,

Thank you for your advice.

I actually had a question for you. You said in another post that Iodized salt can cause DH breakouts. My homeopathic doctor has prescribed me one drop of iodine drops every other day. Just wondering what your thoughts on this was.

Thanks TIFF :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello Ravenwoodglass,

Thank you for your advice.

I actually had a question for you. You said in another post that Iodized salt can cause DH breakouts. My homeopathic doctor has prescribed me one drop of iodine drops every other day. Just wondering what your thoughts on this was.

Thanks TIFF :)

If you have DH don't do it. Also be VERY careful with homeopathic remedies, I was severely glutened by a naturopathic doctor that figured a little bit would be okay. It wasn't for me. I have reactions from gluten distilled grains, not everyone does, but do check and make sure the alcohol that is in the remedies is not wheat derived just to be safe since you are very early into this (very important to ask if it is wheat derived because distilled is considered gluten free so even if it is wheat derived you will get a 'yes it is gluten-free' if you ask. . Also I would give the diet a bit longer before you start searching for other causes, it does take some time to heal and you don't want to be medicated for something that may disappear after another month or so on a strict gluten-free diet. My arthritis took only about 2 or 3 months to go into remission, I hope the same happens for you.

happy2bme Newbie
Hello Everyone,

I am 30 years old and started having alot of medical issues that started in Jan 2009. I have been on a journey to find out what the heck is goin on with my body.

Throughout my doctor visits I was diagnosed with costochondritis. It is a lingering pain that feels like a heart attack. I must mention that I also have Hashimotos Hypothyroid disease which I have had since the age of 14. I realize that most autoimmune diseases cluster up and I am trying to figure out which one is linked to costochondritis? I have been gluten free for one month now. Although I feel better I am still now feeling myself yet. I have read that it can take up to a year to feel better on the diet. I am considering going dairy free as well. Because I was recently diagnosed with a severe vitamin d deficiency (level 6) and I was taking 50,000 iu of D2 a week. Now I am on 5,000iu of D3 daily. I am also taking weekly shots of Vitamin B.

I am still having constipation issues and my costochondritis flares up every once in awhile. I have been tested for RA and lupus and it has been negative. My celiac blood test was also negative. And 2 Lymes disease tests were negative as well.

I'm gonna keep going to doctors until they can figure out what is going on with me.

I never heard of that. I have a lot of heart pain and I catch my breath at night when I sleep and sometimes it is really scary. I used to make it worse by panicing. After years of food elimination and testing and reading what my body has to say I found that in my personal case it was any thing with soy (any type of soy even lecithin.) Also BHT. I want to get my heart checked. I read somewhere that people with food issues can lay down and rest and there is a valve that after relaxing wither closes or stays open which may cause the gasping. I have no insurance to I have not made it a priority to have it checked. It was listed as harmless. Celiac in bllood testing is a joke. A lower GI is the best way. If your body doesn't like something no matter what your tests say listen to it! Careful on Vitamin D you can over do it. Try elimintating soy and watch the BHT as well. It is in gum and many other foods. See if this helps. When I stopped wheat my hormones went loopy as well. It took about a year for everything to balance out. Good luck to you!

ranger Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

I had it years ago when I got on a roll and played 36 holes of golf in one day (bad idea). The pain was very intense and lasted for 6 long weeks. It went away and I've not had it again till 3 weeks ago, in my knee. Not as bad - only took 21/2 weeks to heal. Once again, caused by overdonig it. Have you done anything lately that could have inflamed your ligaments? I hope you find the answer, but if not try the gluten-free diet and if it works - there's your answer. Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wenmin Enthusiast

This was probably one of my worst symptoms....Costochondritis in the rib cage...Even after one year of being gluten free (July 15) this is a sure sign for me that I have been glutened. The pain is very intense and can make you believe that you are indeed having a heart attack....Once the gluten is out of my body, things get back to normal.

Question: Can costocondritis cause pain in your legs? Because lately, I feel pain in my legs constantly.

Tiff Apprentice
This was probably one of my worst symptoms....Costochondritis in the rib cage...Even after one year of being gluten free (July 15) this is a sure sign for me that I have been glutened. The pain is very intense and can make you believe that you are indeed having a heart attack....Once the gluten is out of my body, things get back to normal.

Question: Can costocondritis cause pain in your legs? Because lately, I feel pain in my legs constantly.

Thanks for responding! :D

I have not had any pain in my legs besides the occasional joint pain.

I have severe pain in my chest. It feels like I fell down some stairs and I'm completely sore in my chest. Sometimes its hard to breathe or even move a little. And with a 1 1/2 year old it makes it very challenging to be a stay at home mom. I never thought I would feel this way at the age of 30.

Thanks TIFF

nasalady Contributor
Hello Everyone,

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the soft tissues attached to the rib cage.

Open Original Shared Link

I have fibromyalgia, which is considered to be sort of an "arthritis" of the soft tissues. People with fibro frequently have costochondritis. I've only had one episode, but it was excruciating! It literally hurt to breathe; I couldn't even turn over in bed without agonizing pain.

I haven't had a flare up of the costochondritis since going gluten free.

I hope you continue to feel better! Good luck!

JoAnn

still coping Newbie

Yes, I, too, have costochondritis, but since I've become 100% gluten-free, haven't had an episode. And oddly enough didn't even realize this might be connected to celiac disease until your question caught my eye! Nightmares and insomnia (it's now 2am and I'm still awake), as well as craving sugar and a periodic ravenous appetite (because the body is craving nutrients it's not receiving) were also things that caught my eye on this forum site. It's absolutely amazing how much gluten affects the body! I suggest giving it time on the gluten-free diet, as everyone else suggests. That seems to be the answer to everything, and we just have to have faith! Take good care of yourself, and be well.

• 9 months later...
madmaxperf Newbie

Yup... I have what I think is Costo. The chest pain/feeling of a heart attack has been my worst, most mentally effecting symptom. Feels like Im having a heart attack all the time, and with the anxiety, it really wears on you. Mine hurts into my left shoulder and arm too. If I could get that to go away, I could live with the Celiac. I have only been gluten free for about three weeks though, as I finally figured out that I was Celiac. Have been for 20 years, Im confident of that.

Wolicki Enthusiast

I was first diagnosed with costochondritis at age 19 and suffered on and off for almost 10 years. Then the costo magically "went away" and it became pleurisy. Whatever you want to call it, it was awful pain, stabbing, I thought I was having a heart attack. It went on for weeks unless I took a round of prednisone. Finally after 10 more years, they finally figured out it was Celiac. Once I started the diet, it has not come back, even with a glutening, thank Goodness.

• 3 months later...
mslee Apprentice

Hi Nasalady! :)

I think I have it, I have a dx of sle lupus & fibro as well as hashi's & celiac. They have checked out my heart a couple times & my lungs, no cause of pain found so we (Drs & I ) are guessing inflammation somewhere in the chest..which can be a symptom of lupus or fibro. didn't know it could be a symptom of celiac.

good luck! hope you are feeling better!

• 4 weeks later...
undiagnosedillness Newbie

I've had it for over 4 years with no reason why. It's extremely painful.

I hope you find the answers because I know the pain you go through. :( I'm hoping going gluten free helps with the inflammation.

Archived