jasonD2

Are Cold Cuts (aka Deli Meats) Safe?

Rate this topic

Has anyone gotten sick from cold cuts that are sliced at the deli?

I won't buy meats sliced at the deli. Too much risk of crosscontamination. Some of the glazes on other meats like hams can contain gluten. Applegate Farms, Boar's Head, Hormel Natural Choice, and Welshire Farms all state on their websites that they are gluten free. Jenny O also has some gluten free meats. Check their website to see which ones. I beleive Oscar Meyer is also. Check their website to confirm. I rarely eat lunch meats or sandwiches. I just stick to peanut butter and jelly or tuna.

You do need to avoid the deli. As stated the risk of CC is very high. Even if the slicer is wiped down between uses it still has captured 'debis' inside the blade guards etc. I used to work in a deli and one of my jobs at closing was cleaning the slicer. Frankly it was disgusting.

There are a lot of prepackaged lunch meats available so it just isn't worth the risk.

I only buy Hormel Naturals. There with the presliced meats not the deli. They have no nitrites, trates or gluten and are delicious. I eat the ham for breakfast every day.