Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CateK

Nut Meal Substitutions

One of my sons is deathly allergic to nuts and peanuts. So many of the gluten free recipes call for nuts, almonds, pecans, walnuts or peanuts I was getting discouraged that we would ever eat pie crusts, cookies and breads again.

Then I experiemented a little and discovered that a one to one ratio (1 cup of each) raw sunflower seeds and raw pumpkin seeds put through a good buzz in the food processor makes a great substitute for most of the nut meals called for in recipes. If the recipe, for instance, calls for 1/4 cup of almond meal, I substitute a 1/4 cup of my seed meal.

One seed or the other just doesn't quite work. More sunflower to pumpkin makes it taste a little more peanutty.

If the recipe calls for roasted nuts, I toss the meal in a dry iron skillet for a few minutes on high heat, stirring constantly until it smells roasted.

I am going to experiment a bit further by adding some flax seed and or sesame seed or poppy seed for a bit more fiber.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks for this great idea! We don't have nut allergies, but I am always trying to make breads, muffins, etc more nutritious. Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are a great source of several nutrients, so even for those without allergies, this is a nice idea for adding more nutrition to those flour mixes that have so much corn starch and tapioca starch in them.

How about flax meal or hemp seeds? Both good sources of protein and omega-3's.