elle's mom

Is This Another Sensitivity?

Rate this topic

OK, I am still trying to figure out my 4yo celiac daughter. When she first got diagnosed and started gluten-free diet, we saw a drastic improvement in her. She remained dairy free also for 1 month, then slowly added it back in and she seemed fine. She started growing and was generally a much more cheerful, happier kid. Her pot belly tummy seemed to really go down a lot. This all lasted for some time, maybe like 6 months. Since then her REALLY bad, crabby, naughty mood comes and goes (I call her jekyl and hyde sometimes-only to myself). It's like she turns into the devil, but cannot explain to me what is making her so crabby.

Anyway, I am sure she is sensitive to something else which is causing her mood swings. We've tried a dairy free trial for 2 weeks and NO difference. I know soy, egg, and other sensitivities are common, but any suggestions as to figuring this out other than just a trial elimination? What is most likely after the dairy? Is two weeks enough time? Actually, since we added dairy back into her diet she seems happier, so I'm sure it's something else.

Also, does anyone know if the doctors can do an actual test to find out what it could be? We don't really have a knowledgable pediatrician-I teach him things. Although he is really nice and will order whatever I request, so any suggestions would be helpful. Last time he suggested that maybe she is constapated-it doesn't seem like it but we've been doing the fiber in her morning OJ....Fibersure (I checked and think it's gluten-free, but any contradictions appreciated).

She could just be being, well, four. One thing you could do if you suspect other sensitivities is have her tested by Enterolab to see if she is forming antibodies to other proteins. They test for yeast, egg, gluten, soy and can do a test for malabsorption. Insurance doesn't usually cover the testing and you would order right from the Enterolab web site. The other option is of course eliminating the other suspect items one by one.

Potatoes, nuts and seeds, rice, corn, alternative flours you may be using, bell pepper, cucumbers, squash, bananas. I noticed many people on here with celiac have sensitivities to many other foods. The ones I put down may sound silly. They are no no foods for my daughter. They even make her cry, get pink under her eyes, and misbehave. Goodluck finding the culprit. Maybe even have a food sensitivity panel done on her to put you one step ahead of the game. Goodluck to you!

Are you giving her processed foods? Or breads or foods labeled gluten-free? Lots of these have low amounts of gluten that can affect the sensitive. It does sound like she's getting gluten somewhere, sneaky gluten.

The other possibility that comes to mind is food dyes. My little niece is sensitive to red dye and she turns into a little monster on it. She doesn't eat anything red including vitamins. My friend's grandson even cannot take pink antibiotics because of the dye.

Potatoes, nuts and seeds, rice, corn, alternative flours you may be using, bell pepper, cucumbers, squash, bananas. I noticed many people on here with celiac have sensitivities to many other foods. The ones I put down may sound silly. They are no no foods for my daughter. They even make her cry, get pink under her eyes, and misbehave. Goodluck finding the culprit. Maybe even have a food sensitivity panel done on her to put you one step ahead of the game. Goodluck to you!

Ok, so apparently I am really green at this because what is a food sensitivity panel, and is that the same thing the other poster was referring to from Enterolab? Any idea how much this would be?