This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Was It Like?

runningcrazy

runningcrazy Contributor

If your interested*, my history is basically explained in these two posts..if you want to read it.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=60112

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=60276

What was your first appointment with the Gastroenterologist like? Im going in this Thursday and i'm very anxious.

What did they do for you? I know i probably wont have much done, which stinks because im in pain all day now. Its gotten worse each day, and I am now getting shooting sharp pains.

I am 13 by the way, so i dont know if that will affect what happens.

My pediatrician says my stomach pain may have earned me an endoscopy, but im unsure.

What was your experience like, and any advice or anything?

And also we are bringing in my bloodwork, xrays, list of questions and the meds im on.

Please share your experience and any advice.thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

runningcrazy Contributor

And also, did you ask about celiacs or did the GI suggest it? Were going to ask just to be sure.

How long did it take until you were diagnosed?

runningcrazy Contributor

Sorry to keep replying to my own post but i keep remembering questions...

Do most GI doctors know about celiacs. The GI im going to has a small profile on the offices website and he specializes in esophagus disorders, chronic abdominal pain. Nothing about celiacs..

shendler Rookie

For me, I didn't have a first appointment since I was constantly at the doctor. I always had bronchitis, migraines, rashes, abdominal pain, diarrhea..etc. I was suggested to go wheat free in September but I didn't understand enough about celiac to stick to a diet. Then on my own I went gluten free this year and I feel a lot better. I would still bring it up with your doctor though since a lot of other people out here have self diagnosed. Also celiac, it's not something many doctors will specialize in, so I'm not surprised it's not on their website.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

My first and only appt. with the gastro was confusing. I didn't feel like he was listening to me very well. I told him that I wasn't having BM's, at all. So he checked and looked surprised when he found that I was right. He said that I had IBS due to allergies,unrelated to celiacs. He ordered a scope (not sure now what kind) and told me to go see my allergy Dr. I cancelled the scope, three times. I know I need to have that test done to check for cancer but at the time drinking a gallon of cold liquid to make me have lots of BM's sounded like torture.

I did go to the allergist. He diagnosed me with a bunch of allergies. When I took those foods out of my diet, I found that I was reacting very strongly to the few foods left in my diet that contained gluten. Oatmeal was giving me rashes and stomach aches. I went back to the allergist. He looked at my knees and elbows and said, "You have celiacs." as he walked me out to the receptionist. It was weird. He was acting like the problem was solved but I was really confused. I knew what celiacs was, basically, but had no idea what to do next.

Thank goodness for this website!

Hope you're feeling better soon. RA

runningcrazy Contributor

Thanks for your help. It's nice to know what to *somewhat* expect=)

Archived