munchkinette

Wheat Free Shrimp Paste?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know where I can find shrimp paste that does not contain wheat flour? It's used in a lot of Asian cooking. Please help... my brother is threatening to make it at home if we can't find it. Ew.

lol, I didn't know there was such a thing as shrimp paste! I guess being from KS it didn't come up alot in recipes, lol. Unfortunately, "making it yourself" is something most of us have become very familiar with. Trial/error and experimenting is the name of the game...unfortunately. But, it's kinda fun to finally figure something out and get it right!

I've seen something along the lines of shrimp paste from companies that make Cajun food ingredients. I'm a bit concerned about making shrimp paste, because it requires fermentation of seafood... that's just asking for food poisoning, in my opinion.

Shrimp paste is often used in sambal and other types of Indonesian and Malaysian cooking. We have both learned to make a lot of Asian food at home for obvious reasons. There may be wheat free shrimp paste in our local Ranch 99 (Asian supermarket), but half the labels are in other languages.