ruhbehka

Purging The Gluten From My House/kitchen - Tips?

Rate this topic

After my 3 year old celiac has started complaining about ongoing tummy aches, and quite a few known accidental CC incidents, we've decided just to go 100% gluten-free at home.

I've already replaced both toasters with a new (dedicated gluten-free) one. I'm planning to run all of our pots, pans, utensils through the dishwasher tomorrow, clean out all the drawers, pantry shelves, etc. Google questionable pantry items that I've been lax about (natural flavorings, etc.).

Help me think of things we might miss?

cutting boards, plastic utensils, scratched non-stick cookware, bread machine, hand mixer, rubber utensils. Any porous items.

If you have pets check out the pet food as children seem to be attracted to pet food! Most do not have problems with pet food but if one is super sensitive they will react . Our pets are gluten-free, no more skin problems for our pets.

hth

Look carefully at your spice cabinate. Spice blends often have gluten added. I didn't think about it till another poster mentioned she double dipped into various spices with gluteny spoons. Guilty! I had to throw a bunch of those out. I felt better then. I also realized I was reacting to some delicious Dutch cocoa I bought it back in the day at a bulk food store, probably CC.

I react to lotions and shampoos/conditioners, hand soaps, sunblock etc as well as food. I've also read to toss any wooden spoons in the kitchen as the wood holds onto the gluten even after a wash. Check her vitamins (if she takes them) and cold medicines. I've set aside two special pots and pans just for gluten free cooking and that has seemed to help as well. I also avoid letting any of my food or utensils touch the counter or table tops, even after a good scrubing - you never know when a pesky crumb could be hiding there.

I too just went through my entire kitchen with a good cleaning. I've been feeling much better since - good luck!

Update

Wow! What a difference this made. Since we did this, he hasn't had a single tummy ache.

Thanks so much for everyone's help, and it's wonderful to see our whole family now 100% committed to keeping our home free of gluten for the little guy's sake.