This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Negative Blood Test And Biopsy

glutengal

glutengal Contributor

I had testing through blood and biopsy that were both negative due to gastrointestinal problems (indigestion and stomach pain, headaches, sinus congestion, cough that lingers and biopsy only showed gastritis.

I also have asthma that came on as an adult and runs in my family, as well as my mother also has hypothyroidism. Daughter has hypothyroidism that was brought on from radiation treatments due to brain tumor as a child. No know family history of celiac but daughter also has many problems with digestion and I have tried the gluten-free diet with her also and it seems to be helping. Just can't get a definite diagnosis as to celiac disease. Don't know what has caused myself and my mother to be hypothyroid. I found out when I had blood work done and routine checkup. Really had no signs physically to indicate being hypothyroid as I wasn't feeling any different.

This is kind of uncomfortable to talk about ... but I did have an incident about six months ago where I felt nauseous and had diarrhea (a whole lot) that had alot... of blood in it that only lasted about an hour and then cleared up. I have not had anymore blood since. I was then constipated with no BM for 14 days and becoming concerned went to Dr. who told me to take Miralax and finally about 2 days later started having small BM's that were very narrow but no signs of blood at all. Lower back ached very badly where I could not stand for very long. Had a CT done and Dr. said everything looked OK. After using Miralax about a week BM's started to return to normal and no problems since. Very strange thing with the amount of blood and I do know for sure in was not due to menstrual cycle (as I had that 2 weeks before) and the blood was coming out anal not vaginal. Could any of this be due to possible celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

no-more-muffins Apprentice

It could be celiac, or non-celiac gluten intolerance. There are a lot of people around here who have had negative test results for celiac but have a definite problem with gluten. I am surprised that your dr. didn't order a colonoscopy for the blood in the stool.

You definitely sound like you have symtoms that fit with gluten problems. You might check the stool testing with enterolab at www.enterolab.com. Or you could try a gluten-free free diet and see if it helps. It is free to do that and definitely worth a try when you have symptoms such as you do.

Maybe it is time to find a new doctor?

glutengal Contributor
It could be celiac, or non-celiac gluten intolerance. There are a lot of people around here who have had negative test results for celiac but have a definite problem with gluten. I am surprised that your dr. didn't order a colonoscopy for the blood in the stool.

You definitely sound like you have symtoms that fit with gluten problems. You might check the stool testing with enterolab at www.enterolab.com. Or you could try a gluten-free free diet and see if it helps. It is free to do that and definitely worth a try when you have symptoms such as you do.

Maybe it is time to find a new doctor?

Thanks for the info. and yes I agree I should find another Dr.

dadoffiveboys Rookie
I had testing through blood and biopsy that were both negative due to gastrointestinal problems (indigestion and stomach pain, headaches, sinus congestion, cough that lingers and biopsy only showed gastritis.

I also have asthma that came on as an adult and runs in my family, as well as my mother also has hypothyroidism. Daughter has hypothyroidism that was brought on from radiation treatments due to brain tumor as a child. No know family history of celiac but daughter also has many problems with digestion and I have tried the gluten-free diet with her also and it seems to be helping. Just can't get a definite diagnosis as to celiac disease. Don't know what has caused myself and my mother to be hypothyroid. I found out when I had blood work done and routine checkup. Really had no signs physically to indicate being hypothyroid as I wasn't feeling any different.

This is kind of uncomfortable to talk about ... but I did have an incident about six months ago where I felt nauseous and had diarrhea (a whole lot) that had alot... of blood in it that only lasted about an hour and then cleared up. I have not had anymore blood since. I was then constipated with no BM for 14 days and becoming concerned went to Dr. who told me to take Miralax and finally about 2 days later started having small BM's that were very narrow but no signs of blood at all. Lower back ached very badly where I could not stand for very long. Had a CT done and Dr. said everything looked OK. After using Miralax about a week BM's started to return to normal and no problems since. Very strange thing with the amount of blood and I do know for sure in was not due to menstrual cycle (as I had that 2 weeks before) and the blood was coming out anal not vaginal. Could any of this be due to possible celiac?

Bouts of constipation and diarreah can be signs of celiac or gluten intolerance. Some of your symptoms sound alot like my own - including severe constipation and back pain. So far anyone I've known that I've seen put on miralax ended up testing positive for some kind of gluten intolerance. Asthma can be caused by reflux, hence shown by your "gastritis" in the stomache - which is the only thing that showed up on my endoscopy. Just so you know, going gluten-free removed my gastritis AND asthma! It also did so in my son who was (at age 5) complaining of fatigue and being treated for Asthma. Taking him off gluten his Asthma completely disappeared and the doctor couldn't believe it either.

You should clear up the bowels within a few days but the Asthma can take upto 2 MONTHS to clear up.. so you should try gluten-free for a few months before deciding it isn't working (if you don't feel much different).

glutengal Contributor
Bouts of constipation and diarreah can be signs of celiac or gluten intolerance. Some of your symptoms sound alot like my own - including severe constipation and back pain. So far anyone I've known that I've seen put on miralax ended up testing positive for some kind of gluten intolerance. Asthma can be caused by reflux, hence shown by your "gastritis" in the stomache - which is the only thing that showed up on my endoscopy. Just so you know, going gluten-free removed my gastritis AND asthma! It also did so in my son who was (at age 5) complaining of fatigue and being treated for Asthma. Taking him off gluten his Asthma completely disappeared and the doctor couldn't believe it either.

You should clear up the bowels within a few days but the Asthma can take upto 2 MONTHS to clear up.. so you should try gluten-free for a few months before deciding it isn't working (if you don't feel much different).

Thanks so much for responding. Did you or your sons test positive for celiac or gluten intolerance. How long did it take for your gastritis to clear up? The problem I seem to be having is that sometimes I eat and get pain in the chest area where I feel as though I need to burp and usally last between 10-20 minutes and then when I burp the pain is gone. This does not seem to happen with any particular food (ex: Dairy) as sometimes I eat something with dairy and have no indigestion and not exactly sure what I am eating that could be causing it. It is not an everyday occurrence. I am trying by suggestion from someone else to use probiotics and whole leaf aloe vera juice to help the gastritis (5 days now) and last night I had the indigestion again which last about 10 minutes, burped and the pain was gone. I was trying digestive enzymes before the aloe with the probiotics and the indigestion was worse and after some research realized that if you have gastritis you should not take digestive enzymes that contain protease as they can irritate the stomach lining making the gastritis worse. I stopped the digestive enzymes (Papaya) and indigestion is not as bad but still periodic. All my other symptoms have seemed to clear up except this one.

Also, as far as the asthma...I use proventil, flovent (daily for maintenance)and flonase (nasal spray-daily).

Did your son stop his meds when he started gluten free to see if the diet helped the asthma. Just wondering how you can tell if the diet cleared the asthma if you still use your meds daily?

dadoffiveboys Rookie
Also, as far as the asthma...I use proventil, flovent (daily for maintenance)and flonase (nasal spray-daily).

Did your son stop his meds when he started gluten free to see if the diet helped the asthma. Just wondering how you can tell if the diet cleared the asthma if you still use your meds daily?

You need to talk to your doctor, but I don't believe Flonase is gluten-free!! I know that sounds crazy but if you are going gluten-free you definitely need to check all your medicine.

My son on medications (in his case was on the nebulizer inhaled medication pulmicort)... his full effective lung was 420. Off medicine and with gluten it was 300. OFF gluten and no medicine it was 530. He was better w/o medicine and no gluten. My doctor considered his asthma 'food induced' because the numbers don't lie and it's a 'medical' test!

Some people also have dairy problems and ALOT of inhaled asthma medication contains MILK - lactose is the main mechanism to deliver medication. I can't tolerate dairy and I have seasonal allergies so I have to take a dairy free inhaler. Definitely it will take you some time to work out the food problems with the Asthma in order to see if it helps you! I'm sorry it's so complicated but that is the way the drug companies have made it.

glutengal Contributor
You need to talk to your doctor, but I don't believe Flonase is gluten-free!! I know that sounds crazy but if you are going gluten-free you definitely need to check all your medicine.

My son on medications (in his case was on the nebulizer inhaled medication pulmicort)... his full effective lung was 420. Off medicine and with gluten it was 300. OFF gluten and no medicine it was 530. He was better w/o medicine and no gluten. My doctor considered his asthma 'food induced' because the numbers don't lie and it's a 'medical' test!

Some people also have dairy problems and ALOT of inhaled asthma medication contains MILK - lactose is the main mechanism to deliver medication. I can't tolerate dairy and I have seasonal allergies so I have to take a dairy free inhaler. Definitely it will take you some time to work out the food problems with the Asthma in order to see if it helps you! I'm sorry it's so complicated but that is the way the drug companies have made it.

Thanks again. I will check with dr. on gluten-free statis of flonase but according to the website www.glutenfreedrugs.com it list flonase as gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived