Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

momxyz

Gluten And Depression

He's right that problems caused by ADHD sometimes don't show up until later years for kids with AHDH Primarily Inattentive Type (back in the day we called it ADD, and if you had hyperactivity it was ADHD), but the disorder was always there.

I've talked to a lot of parents who had no clue their child had ADHD Primarily Inattentive Type until problems start surfacing in school - even as late as high school - but when I start asking the kid about problems with attention and distractability they say 'yeah, all the time'. Why they never said anything before varies from kid to kid. People with ADHD typically have higher than average IQ's and can compensate/coast through some school tasks. In high school it's harder to coast if you're required to take notes, learn material that you can't just figure out on your own, ect.

I hope you're all on the right track now!!

- Stacy

He's right that problems caused by ADHD sometimes don't show up until later years for kids with AHDH Primarily Inattentive Type (back in the day we called it ADD, and if you had hyperactivity it was ADHD), but the disorder was always there.

I've talked to a lot of parents who had no clue their child had ADHD Primarily Inattentive Type until problems start surfacing in school - even as late as high school - but when I start asking the kid about problems with attention and distractability they say 'yeah, all the time'. Why they never said anything before varies from kid to kid. People with ADHD typically have higher than average IQ's and can compensate/coast through some school tasks. In high school it's harder to coast if you're required to take notes, learn material that you can't just figure out on your own, ect.

I hope you're all on the right track now!!

- Stacy

hi, I think we are. Thanks to a lot of people. Stacy, you and everyone else who responded to my posts helped clarify my thinking and my research. I was so glad that I got to read your responses before the office visit. I knew what kind of questions to ask.

I didn't get into the "gluten connection" with him today. I confess I am gunshy on that issue, after being politely dissed on that issue by the therapist... and time is precious (yeah, I'm paying for it after all!) The important focus for today was the immediate. Understanding the diagnosis, why this has just surfaced now, and what to do about it.

My daughter has been gluten free since mid July, and she would be the first one to tell you she felt some benefit from that, and is still committed to that path. But, the diet alone did not address the anxiety, nor does she feel it will address this new diagnosis, at least in an immediate sense. If we had months to spare, we could wait longer. She knows that it can take time for the diet to complete its positive effect. She told me last night she wants the medication, because of the immediate demands she has to deal with in this, her senior year. She is just a month and a half shy of 18. As much as she wanted me to be at the appointment today, she also wants to be the captain of her own ship.

cutting apron strings is very hard work.

But the psychiatrist, my daughter, and I had a very productive conversation, about the diagnosis, about the medication, what to expect, what to look for...

I do feel good about this guy, and he encouraged both of us to contact him with any concerns. He honored my input as the mom (a feeling I didn't get from the therapist). And my daughter is still sticking with the gluten free diet. She is making her wicked good gluten free pizza for the family Saturday nite!

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Chances are if you have lumps on your body for years and the Dr. isn't concerned they're probably not lymph nodes. Chronically swollen lymph nodes would be something every Dr. would be concerned with.  Chances are you just have cysts ...
    It's different  for everyone, it can be a month or maybe a year. Most probably within a few months. This is assuming the symptoms are in fact related to gluten, which they may not be. 
    Hi Laura I'm so pleased you found answers.  This is very encouraging.  Seven years on from my own diagnosis I wish I could have some vitamin and mineral screening, I'm sure I'm still deficient. Cristiana