MKat

Go Slowly Off Gluten Vs. Cold Turkey?

Rate this topic

I've been reading about gluten withdrawal symptoms (like fatigue and depression). When I did a mostly gluten free test for 3 weeks this spring I was extremely exhausted. I was also having thyroid issues - so it was one or the other or a combination of the 2 but I was a mess. BUT, my stomach was GREAT!! I went back on gluten for about 2 months to be tested and was miserable.

I have tested negative w/blood work and biopsy. My doc might do a genetic test at some point.

Anyway, to avoid the major gluten withdrawl symptoms again, is it possible to slowly go off gluten rather than go cold turkey? I realize this might not work because the longer you're off gluten it seems the more problems you have when you have some.

I also wonder how you tell if you have a gluten intolerance or just a wheat intolerance?? I was really hoping for a positive test result so I wouldn't have to play around w/stuff so much :)

if I were you I would just stop eating it all togejther. The more you eat it the more damage you do..so I would just face the withdrawal knowing you'll be a brand new healthy person soon

Plus, since you've done it before the switch may be easier because you've already gone tjrouh withdrawal!

I also think that you should do the cold turkey. One thing that might help with the withdrawl is some sublingual B12. By going off it slowly you are simply keeping the antibodies going until you finally quit. Be gentle with yourself and try to make sure you are doing things that you enjoy during the withdrawl period. The withdrawl should only last a week or so if you are not getting CC'd so make sure you read as much as you can about everything you need to be careful of.

cold turkey!!! the longer you let gluten linger in your diet, the longer it will take for your body to heal itself! the sooner you eliminate the stuff from your diet, the sooner you'll start to feel better!! the withdrawal symptoms are nothing compared to the aftermath of a glutening in my opinion

I think when quitting anything it's easier to go cold turkey. Otherwise you can keep telling yourself "this is the last one!" indefinitely. Because this is a health issue, it's all the more important to quit right away.

I've been reading about gluten withdrawal symptoms (like fatigue and depression). When I did a mostly gluten free test for 3 weeks this spring I was extremely exhausted. I was also having thyroid issues - so it was one or the other or a combination of the 2 but I was a mess. BUT, my stomach was GREAT!! I went back on gluten for about 2 months to be tested and was miserable.

I have tested negative w/blood work and biopsy. My doc might do a genetic test at some point.

Anyway, to avoid the major gluten withdrawl symptoms again, is it possible to slowly go off gluten rather than go cold turkey? I realize this might not work because the longer you're off gluten it seems the more problems you have when you have some.

I also wonder how you tell if you have a gluten intolerance or just a wheat intolerance?? I was really hoping for a positive test result so I wouldn't have to play around w/stuff so much :)

If you have a gluten intolerance or sensitivity, just stop eating gluten....period. It's not heroin you are trying to dump, just gluten. If you suffered from exhaustion, that is not a symptom of stopping gluten as you should start feeling better immediately, if you have truly gone gluten-free. It may take time to heal, but you should feel better in many ways, right away. The exhaustion was most likely from your thyroid problems. I have Hashi's and by the time I was diagnosed, the exhaustion was mind-boggling, it was so extreme. The exhaustion from Celiac paled in comparison to the exhaustion from low thyroid and I was severely anemic with multiple vitamin deficiencies to boot!

Have you treated the thyroid problem? It makes such a profound difference!

Cold turkey, without question.

richard

Ohh I'm going to be the one person to say I slowly went off it. I had read about how some people had crazy reactions to cold turkey, and I just felt better by slowly going off for that reason and others. I felt like everyday I got more comfortable with it. I weened it out for 3 weeks and at the start of the 4 week I was 100% gluten free. In that 3 week time, I set up "my" kitchen, bought gluten-free food, bought the new flour, bought cookbooks, books about celiac disease/gluten-free, found store that carried gluten-free foods, went to a celiac disease chapter meeting in my area ect.. At this point for me there was so much I just couldn't stomach that it was never a "one more" it was time for me to mentally deal with all these changes that were happing.

I'm not sure what or if there is the right way or best way to do this, I just know that I eased into and I have felt 100% better.

Cold turkey, absolutely. Even if you feel bad for another week or two, you will soon feel so much better, you will wonder what took you so long!

Cold Turkey, I was so sick that before I had my biopsy I was told don't worry about eating a gluten-free diet. So I was eating gluten-free without a problem.

Best of luck

Definitely cold turkey, but there is such a learning curve with figuring out what does and doesnt have gluten in it in the beginning that most likely it will take awhile to be 100% free anyway (at least for me thats how it was).

:)