This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fairs, Carnivals, Amusement Parks...

cbear6301

cbear6301 Explorer

I was doing okay with the gluten free diet... I made it through treat days at work, parties.. but this summer has really been horrible...I love going to the fair..but really don't see the point.. I miss this stuff so much.. I know its bad for me, I know it will lay me out for a long time, I know I am healthier but darn I really miss fair foods...I was going to take my kids to an amusement park but not sure how to handle that either..

To the experienced... what do you do? Do you avoid these places? Do you have any advice, hints..

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

cbear6301, I'm not sure which Amusement Park you want to visit, but I can say that Hershey Park in Pa does have gluten-free meals available. I was just there last week with the Grandchildren...

Two Thumbs up for Hershey Park!......

Roda Rising Star

I can sympathize. While I was on vacation to visit my parents I attended a local rib festival that my brother was competing in. Everything smelled soooo.. good. I couln't have any of the ribs, funnell cakes, fries etc. I did take a chance and I had some cotton candy and taffy and was fine with both. I just ate before I went so I was not hungry. It was worth the visit because I got to see my brother get first place in the amateur division. I am planning on taking the family to the local fair next month. If the kids/husband want something I won't deny them just because I can't have it. I've learned to accept it and focus on having fun and spending time with my family instead of focusing on the food. My parents are wanting to go to FL to Disney next Feb. I have heard that it is a pretty gluten free friendly place to visit but we will probably will do most of our own cooking anyways.

Mskedi Newbie

The fairs around here I've been to always have a baked potato and/or corn-on-the-cob booth. They may not be the most satisfying things, but they're tasty and can get you by, at least.

Depending on which amusement park you're planning on going to, you might be pleasantly surprised with the options. It definitely doesn't hurt to call ahead.

Of course... I'm writing this before making my way to the fair this year, so who knows how optimistic I'll sound after going.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I hear you - yes it sucks but yeah, it's healthier....

I go fo the sno cones...my daughter loves them too. Things are expensive anyway - I truly pack food (& water) wherever I go anyway. It helps avoid temptation.

mamaw Community Regular

:huh: For our fairs usually the greasy fries are okay but you do need to check with each vendor! Not healthy at all! The other thing the kids always want are the funnel cakes. SO I make funnel cakes at home & let them get their fill & by the time we reach the fair the desire for funnel cakes is gone!We also take a bag of junk food with us that they do not get on a daily basis... at the end of the day we have a dish of ice cream.

hth mamaw

Then we recover from the sugar junk food highs......

LDJofDenver Apprentice

I know it's not as good as partaking in all your old favorites while at the fair, but one thing that really helps me is that eat before I go. Then I'm not overwhelmed with the "wanting" when I smell the goodies, just busy having fun, doing rides, checking out the people and music, etc.

And you may find a thing or two that is safe, you just have to be the investigator!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

daphniela Explorer

I like to get sliced apples with carmel dip. I am watching my weight so even if I wasn't Celiac, I wouldn't eat most of that junk!

cbear6301 Explorer

great suggestions....

My whole family went gluten free...and it turns out that they all feel better so it is hard for my 12 and 16 year old to go to the fair.. so we will have to check into those options...

and funnel cakes at home... by chance do you use a gluten free funnel cake... that would be awesome.. I think I miss that the most.

Cotton candy is okay? I wondered..

We live in Iowa but used to live in PA.. miss Hershey Park..I am checking into Adventureland and the state fair....

thank you guys so much!!! thanks for putting this into perspective for me...sometimes I just need a reminder..

ang1e0251 Contributor

My family has been in fair concessions for five generations. We are mostly candy makers but also do some meal items. The gluten free items we made are:

cotton candy

caramel apples (dairy)

fudge (dairy)

taffy

popcorn

roasted peanuts

butterscotch corn

soft drinks

lemon shakeups

snocones

corn on the cob

Italian sausage (no bun)

That ought to enough of a fair fix for any cravings!

Archived