This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

New, Tried Alots Of Food And Fustrated

kpatillo

kpatillo Newbie

Hi, I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star
Subway

I

tarnalberry Community Regular

If you eat out and packaged foods all the time, you are going to get glutened. And if you're getting glutened once a week, you're not healing.

I would highly recommend three things:

1) taking half a day on the weekend and making two or three large meals that you can have leftovers from during the rest of the week

2) recruiting your parents (whichever cooks most) to help make you gluten free foods when you're too busy; yes, it's asking them for a lot of help, but when you need help, you need help!

3) learning what things you can make at home quickly (really, if you can't find 10 minutes to make lunch, it's time to reset priorities - being rushed constantly, particularly while eating, doesn't allow the sympathetic nervous system (which dampens digestion) to shut down)

Some ideas on the last one:

If you make rice ahead of time, and keep it in the fridge, you've got a base to make fried rice (takes about 8 minutes, using frozen veggies and eggs), to make stir fry (takes about 10 minutes using meat and frozen veggies), to make a soup (frozen shrimp, frozen veggies), etc. (Add five minutes to chop up fresh veggies.) Making a tuna salad takes about 10 minutes, and that includes mixing up the tuna, chopping half a red onion, a whole tomato, and lettuce.

There are a lot of options for really quick meals, and they will keep you healthier, and gluten-free.

(Of course, I don't - despite the post - mean to imply that you should never ever eat out or grab food on the run. Everyone else can help with that far better than I can.)

daphniela Explorer

I don't think the meat at Taco Bell is gluten free. I could be wrong. For a quick meal there are rice noodle bowls bt Simply Asia that are gluten free. I have found them at Walgreens and CVS as well as regular grocery stores. Chef Boyardee makes a chicken and rice microwaveable bowl that is free of gluten ingredients.

hannahp57 Contributor

you are SO much braver than i am. i cannot make myself eat any form of fast food other than a salad. and i cant even eat most of the dressings because of stupid MSG

make you are inquiring about safe ingredients and food handling at all these places. is every fryer dedicated? have they made sure that they washed there hands before they put your burger patty on the lettuce? is the enchilada sauce safe at every location?

im going to restate what was previously mentioned: if you are eating at fast food places often you are going to get glutened. you may not be sensitive to CC but the damage can be happening still. i got glutened at a nice sit down restaurant that had a gluten free option menu and the waistaff and kitenstafff has previously proven themselves very knowledgable about safe practices. i had eaten there before no problem. but while one visit may go perfectly the next time, someone can misunderstanf or forget. whatever the case may be. fast food is not worth it i promise.

mamaw Community Regular

Taco Bell meat is not gluten-free...

KathiSharpe Apprentice

I hate to tell you this, but McDonald's chicken has wheat in it:

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:

Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn

gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80,

xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates.

CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT.

That's what goes in that salad you've been eating.

Ditto for McD's french fries:

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid

pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with

TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent).

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK *(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

Open Original Shared Link

I've said before and I'll say again - there's a tremendous market "out there" for a "natural" fast food joint (you know, where food is really food)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast
I hate to tell you this, but McDonald's chicken has wheat in it:

Grilled Chicken Breast Fillet:

Chicken breast fillets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn

gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80,

xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates.

CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT.

That's what goes in that salad you've been eating.

Ditto for McD's french fries:

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid

pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with

TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an anti foaming agent).

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK *(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

I've said before and I'll say again - there's a tremendous market "out there" for a "natural" fast food joint (you know, where food is really food)

The fries are gluten free. See the link below and click on McDonald's fries or search this forum for many, many, many, many, many conversations/debates about the fries. My son and I both eat them about once a week with no ill effects.

mamaw Community Regular

As I have more time now I read your post again.Just because something states organic doesn't mean it is gluten free ( organic rice krispies)

Protein burgers or fake burgers are not always gluten free.Fried rice can also include soy sauce again not gluten-free. Wal-mart & LaChoy or San J are gluten-free soy sauces.

It appears you may be getting gluten quite often.

Here is a great place to order a few things from. For bagels, english muffins & pizza --- Joans gluten free great bakes.

Bristol buns for burgers, deli sandwiches are delicicious

For ficeille italian rolls & baguettes, Everybody Eats are the best

Protein bars are not my idea of foods but they do come in handy. Pure Fit, Zing or Comfort Bars are truly great.

Whole Foods has a gluten-free bakery dept. They have several breads . I like their breads for grilling (pannini type things)

If you like earthy breads the Anna's Bread mix is wonderful. Schar also makes a good mix as well as Pamela's.

Pamela's cake mixes are very good

Conte's makes ravioli, pierogi's & pizzas plus frozen meals that are very good.

Celiac specialities has the world's best gluten-free donuts! Plus the stuffing mix is easy & great tasting.

If you like to make your own things then Betterbatter flour is a one to one replacement flour.

Other good ones or top of the line are: Domata living FLour, we love their seasoned flour!

Jules flour blend

Meister's flour blend

I also use annalise roberts cookbook often & her flour mixture. the best.......

Gary West Meats has jerky & steak strips that are very tasty.

Bi-Aglut pasta are excellent.

All the above are mail order. In my area that is the way we have to go to get the best of the best in gluten-free.

If you are a beer drinker Green's is the tops.....3 varieties

Hth

mamaw

Archived