This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sherry Pecan Cake (using Betty Crocker Cake Mix)

CalicoSue

CalicoSue Contributor

I kept some of my most favorite gluten recipes with the hope that one day, someday, I could eat gluten again. :) I had a few cake recipes using Betty Crocker

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kylie Explorer

That sounds absolutely delicious. I hadn

missy'smom Collaborator

That's a great idea. Did you use all the same amounts of extra ingredients? I have grandma's old recipes like these for chocolate kahlua cake and a yellow cake with some other type of alcohol. These will be great for the holidays this year. I'm gonna tell my sister. She'll be thrilled that we can bring back at least one more traditional recipe. She already converted the rum ball recipe to gluten-free. Can you tell that grandma liked things with alcohol in them? :lol: She was one to give us a spoon of cherry brandy for a cough. Never touched alcohol except for cooking though.

Sorry to ramble on, this just brings back so many memories!

Puddy Explorer

MMMMMM....sounds delish! I was going to do the same thing this weekend.....try an old recipe with the new mix. Quick question.....was the cake much smaller? I think the new BC mixes are for one layer instead of two. Thanks!

CalicoSue Contributor

To answer a few of the questions about the Sherry Cake. I used the exact same ingredients from an old recipe using the Betty Crocker gluten cake mix as a base

rebe09 Contributor

I did not know B.C. had gluten-free cake mixes! Would I find that in the health section of the grocery store or in the regular baking aisle? Very exciting!

Puddy Explorer

Thanks, Sue! A frosted layer cake sounds like heaven. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
digmom1014 Enthusiast

For all of you bakers, the gluten-free Betty Crocker cake mix works well with the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook. It is so nice to have coffee cake again! The bake times are tricky though, I use the temp. suggested and about 15 min. before the required bake time I start looking at the cake.

BethJ Rookie

Thank you! This sounds wonderful. I was hoping somebody would try using old gluten recipes with the new mixes. We just got them locally last month and I bought four boxes.

A Christmas tradition at our house is a rum cake and last year I told DH he would have to get somebody else to make it for him. He was not pleased but I wasn't going to allow any flour loose in my kitchen.

Maybe I'll get brave and try the old Bacardi Rum Cake recipe with the new gluten-free mixes. If anybody else has tried it, I'd love to know how it turned out.

Archived