jststric

Any Ideas For Dairy Substitutes?

Rate this topic

I have been very intolerant of dairies for years and then all my gluten issues (and many others!) popped in about 3 yrs ago. I have done OK substituting soymilk and tofus for most of my dairies in cooking/eating. I have recently been told I have way too much estrogen in my body and was given a prescription for progesterone (I'm also 50 and peri-menopausal). I asked the doc if my eating/drinking so much soy adds to my estrogen problems and she said, "That's a good thought." Ok, before everyone suggests I go to almond milk or rice milk, I am also nut and rice intolerant. And bean intolerant. And egg-intolerant, lol. But back to "dairy". I have read of some drinking hemp milk but have never seen it and know nothing about it. Could it be a a plant-estrogen too? Do I need to simply give up on the idea of any kind of dairyish substitutes??? Thank you!

You can find Hemp Milk at health food stores and the big chains like Whole Foods. There are two major brands, Living Harvest, and Hemp Bliss.

Something in the Living Harvest gives me headaches, I don't know if this is a batch problem or a reaction to the rice syrup but I switched back to Hemp Bliss again.

It tastes sort of odd but once you get used to it no odder than any of the other milk substitutes. It's good diluted with water and sweetened over ice, with a sprinkle of cinnamon, for a "hemp horchata" drink, which is usually made with rice milk.

It's not a legume so I don't think it should mess up your estrogen levels.

If the progesterone is not a natural bio identical progesterone, switch to that type as the artificial ones can make you depressed. The creams with this are available over the counter, they work if you get the good, pricey, proven brand, and they don't have that bad side effect.

Vance's DariFree is a good substitute. My kids thought it was the closest in taste to milk of all the substitutes...especially good with cereal. This is the list of ingredients:

Maltodextrin (from potatoes), Natural Flavors (no MSG), Crystalline Fructose, Calcium Carbonate, colored with Titanium Dioxide (an inert mineral), Carrageenan, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Lactic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), dl Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin K1, Thiamin mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Biotin.

In Canada, the product is Dairy-Free by English Bay Batter. The ingredients list is similar. I noticed that they are changing from tetrapaks to a dry mix. It appears Vance's has already done so.

Michelle

I have been very intolerant of dairies for years and then all my gluten issues (and many others!) popped in about 3 yrs ago. I have done OK substituting soymilk and tofus for most of my dairies in cooking/eating. I have recently been told I have way too much estrogen in my body and was given a prescription for progesterone (I'm also 50 and peri-menopausal). I asked the doc if my eating/drinking so much soy adds to my estrogen problems and she said, "That's a good thought." Ok, before everyone suggests I go to almond milk or rice milk, I am also nut and rice intolerant. And bean intolerant. And egg-intolerant, lol. But back to "dairy". I have read of some drinking hemp milk but have never seen it and know nothing about it. Could it be a a plant-estrogen too? Do I need to simply give up on the idea of any kind of dairyish substitutes??? Thank you!

A few suggestions.

For Milk use Soy, Rice or Nut Milks

For Milk powder (in baking) use Better than Milk (soy or rice) http://www.foodservicecentral.com/storefronts/better.html

For Butter use DF margarine

For Cream use Mimic Creme: http://www.mimiccreme.com/

For Yogurt use nogurt: http://www.nogurt.com/

For Cheese use sheese a soy cheese alternative: http://www.blackduckimports.com/regular.cfm

Best Regards,

David