This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Charlotte Hilton Andersons Blog - Huffington Post

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

Hold on to you hats when you read this:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momxyz Contributor

know what? I think deep down she still has "issues" and this is her way of projecting them on others to feel more secure about herself.

I couldn't find to place to add a comment or I would have written this to her myself.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Hold on to you hats when you read this:

Lisa

You warned us!

I went to get my hat

read the article and comments and then the other persons comments on soy allergies..............

AND BARFED IN THE HAT.................. :ph34r::blink:;)

Guess we are just going to have to get used to this.

I hate when people write about the poor waiters who have to deal with food allergie sufferers!

I was a waitress for years ............HS and College .....................It never bothered me one twit to try to help someone out with special needs.

TIMES THEY ARE AND WILL.............KEEP CHANGING.

Takala Enthusiast

Go get a bigger hat when you read this author's (Charlotte Hilton Anderson) actual blogsite, The Great Fitness Experiment:

The latest blog entries from July 2009

"A life without regret ?" about her sending her boyfriend to jail who sexually abused her. "Anything but ambivalent....many mistakes were made and some of them were mine."

"The Diet Wars: Girl on Girl Sabotage" about supermodel Heidi Klum sending Victoria Beckham (who is one of the thinnest celebrities on the planet) cupcakes for her birthday. Also has a description of her time working as a waitress, when she'd sabotage customer's menu requests if she thought they were too annoying.

"We'd generally do no more than an exaggerated eye roll but if she kept complaining and sending it back to get "fixed", well then, we'd, um, fix it. Especially if she was a teeny tiny gorgeous model type. It was like we felt it was our duty to fatten her up. And punish her for being more gorgeous, successful and rich than we lowly waitresses..... But we'd pour oil and butter over her veggies. We'd pre-butter her rolls. We'd *gasp* switch out her diet Coke with real Coke.....All of which is not to say that you should fear your waitress every time you go out to eat. We saved this awful behavior for the select few who made royal pains out of themselves...

"Captain Obvious Says Sleep Deprivation causes Sugar Cravings": about her eating gummi bears and chocolate chips instead of a meal

"Does Being Overweight Set up a child for abuse?" about how she thinks overweight children are more likely to be sexually abused

"Everything you know about stretching is wrong:" supposedly doing a stretching routine before exercising is now wrong. This is accompanied by 2 photos of overlimber women hyperextending their joints and descriptions of young women overdoing it with the conclusion that stretching is harmful.

(note. At this point, as an over age 50 women with arthritis and auto immune disease who STILL manages to do low- impact athletics that many people at this point have given up or won't attempt, without much in the way of pharmaceuticals and with a daily stretching yoga and physical therapy routine, I am willing to call this woman a neurotic dingbat with "issues" who has no idea what she is talking about. )

I also found another site that had one of her less bizarre blog posts copied, that one was about being a vegetarian. From the description it sounds like she lives on bean and vegetable soups, homemade bread, and salads.

Now there is nothing wrong if you want to live like that, but where, then, exactly do you get off telling other people that their eating habits are eccentric ?

This was at the beginning of that excerpt:

Here (as a result of my begging & stalking) by popular demand: the inimitable Charlotte of The Great Fitness Experiment.

We all know her.

We all love her.

We all wanna be her. Enjoy.

Uh, no, actually, we don't.

Misery loves company. Not.

We don't have to get "used to this" at all. Just because somebody else has a mental problem about their own food consumption or other emotional issues, does not mean for one second that we don't have auto immune disease or food intolerances or actual allergies, and we don't have to accept the bad information and abuse they are willing to dish out because they can't figure out what to do with their feelings.

She mentioned that she had unusually pale skin- maybe she ought to spring for a genetic test and she if she's got HLA DQ 2 and DQ8. :blink::angry:

mysecretcurse Contributor

That was stupid.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

the huffington post isn't really a credible news source. i don't waste my time reading it because all of their articles are generally inaccurate!!

Lisa Mentor
the huffington post isn't really a credible news source. i don't waste my time reading it because all of their articles are generally inaccurate!!

Understood and agree! It's is disheartening that there are prevailing attitudes out there that have access to full media distribution.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
I hate when people write about the poor waiters who have to deal with food allergie sufferers!

I was a waitress for years ............HS and College .....................It never bothered me one twit to try to help someone out with special needs.

TIMES THEY ARE AND WILL.............KEEP CHANGING.

I agree with you! My husband and I own two restaurants and cater to food allergies so my staff is on top of things. The only thing they hate is when people are very rude. For instance, my 18 year old daughter is a busser at our fine dining one and when she approached the table to give them water the lady said to her very snooty "Will you take away this wine glass (we preset tables with wine glasses and take away if wine is not ordered) I am a celiac and can't have wine! My daughter said she was biting her tongue not to reply that her mom is a celiac and drinks wine all the time. She gave my poor wait staff a hard time for the rest of her visit. We certainly don't mind the food substitutions ect but a polite attitude would have been nice.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I agree with you! My husband and I own two restaurants and cater to food allergies so my staff is on top of things. The only thing they hate is when people are very rude. For instance, my 18 year old daughter is a busser at our fine dining one and when she approached the table to give them water the lady said to her very snooty "Will you take away this wine glass (we preset tables with wine glasses and take away if wine is not ordered) I am a celiac and can't have wine! My daughter said she was biting her tongue not to reply that her mom is a celiac and drinks wine all the time. She gave my poor wait staff a hard time for the rest of her visit. We certainly don't mind the food substitutions ect but a polite attitude would have been nice.

Excelent!

so agree with you.

No matter how snooty the waiter or waitress is i never give 'snotty' back........i just try to educate so the next celiac who comes in behind me won't 'pay' for my behavior.

i tip so well when a waitress/waitor does a great job.....don't go out often but they remember me when i come back.

A good tip shows them we care.

summerteeth Enthusiast

Ugh... stuff like this makes me upset. I was a waitress when I was 18. I had no clue what celiac disease was... but I remember more than one patron that had cited celiac disease (also Crohn's, soy allergies, and corn allergies). I was more than happy to run back and forth to help them out because I figured that was my job - I was getting paid to make sure they enjoyed themselves. Now, four years later, I have been diagnosed with celiac disease and I am on the opposite end of the conversation. And I can't express enough gratitude when someone genuinely wants to make sure my meal is satisfactory.

All these "celiac is a hoax" articles are really leaving a bad taste in my mouth. So I can't eat everything that you can? So what? I didn't realize I was such an inconvienence to journalists/bloggers...

hannahp57 Contributor

i commented on it. i think she's an idiot but thats just me.... i was diagnosed three years ago and had never heard of it. why would you choose this because of a celebrity?

"oh! elizabeth hasselbeck is gluten intiolerant so i should be too!" i never even heard of her before lol

wow so its okay to be a vegetarian as long as you are for the right reasons... but celiac without proper diagnosis. heaven forbbid :lol: people dont think and write at the same time

Archived