Becci

Vitamin D And Celiacs...

Rate this topic

I read in a book about Celiac, that Vitamin D helps Celiacs absorb vitamins better (calcium, iron, etc)...

Is there a certain kind I need to take?

I am going to the store in a few minutes, and would like to know if I need something other than a Vit D from Walgreens or CVS.

D3 is the kind to take.

I take 2,000 IU a day, as well as 2,000 mg vitamin C and 1,000 mg of fish oil.

Michelle

I have read that D2 and D3 are equally effective.

But the most reliable source of vitamin D is the sun. It does not need to be absorbed. Stand in the sun for 10-15 minutes WITHOUT sunscreen and your body will make all the vitamin D you need for that day.

I have read that D2 and D3 are equally effective.

But the most reliable source of vitamin D is the sun. It does not need to be absorbed. Stand in the sun for 10-15 minutes WITHOUT sunscreen and your body will make all the vitamin D you need for that day.

My understanding is that the body is not efficient at changing vitamin D2 to D3 (the type our bodies need), so D2 is not necessarily a good choice.

Yes, skin exposure to the sun is important too. However, that's difficult for those of us further north, who have winters that last 6 months of the year. Supplementation is essential to counteract the lack of skin exposure to sunshine, and potential side effects (such as SAD.)

Michelle

If not a vegetarian/vegan, then I understand cod liver oil is a good source, and a good source of fatty acids. I live in super sunny climes, including in the winter. I have read that D3 is best if you need to supplement.