This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help 3yr Old Sondiagonsed With Gluten Intolerance

MomtoCaleb

MomtoCaleb Newbie

:blink: I just found out last night that my three year old son has a gluten intolerance. He is just 20lbs and is very tiny for his age. We went thru all sorts of testing including a blood Celiac test which came back negative. I found out thru a friend about a test that could be done in the states to test for gluten intolerance and figured it would come back postive. Caleb doesn't seem to have any stomach problems other than having diaherra a lot when he was breads and pastas. I need some ideas on what to feed for breakfast especially since he usually has Cheerios and bagles. I don't know where to begin. This morning I looked thru my cupboards and everything had some sort of wheat in it so I really don't know where to start. Any information would be awesome. Thank you soo much.

Jenn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Welcome!

Try these cereals by Envirokidz

Open Original Shared Link

EnviroKidz Organic Peanut Butter Panda Puffs and Gorilla Munch Cereals are gluten free and taste good! The Crispy Rice Bars, Berry are also good. You can proabably find them in the health food section of your local grocery store, or in a health food store. Good luck!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Fruits and veggies are always a good option.

Also here are brands that will list wheat,rye, barley, oats right on their label and will not hide it under any ingredients.

Aunt Nelly's

Balance

Baskin Robbins

Ben & Jerry

Betty Crocker

Blue Bunny

Breyers

Campbells

Cascadian Farms

Celestial Seasonings

Country Crock

Edy's

General Mills

Good Humor

Green Giant

Haagen Daz

Hellman's

Hershey

Hormel

Hungry Jack

Jiffy

Knorr

Kozy Shack

Kraft

Libby's

Lipton

Martha White

McCormick

Nabisco

Nestle

Old El Paso

Ortega

Pillsbury

Popsicle

Progresso

Russell Stover

Seneca Foods

Smucker

Stokely's

Sunny Delight

T Marzetti

Tyson

Unilever

Wishbone

Yoplait

Zatarain's

Conagra, Utz and Frito Lay have some gluten free products as well.

Also Foods by George has english muffins both plain and cinnamon and I toast them and put cream cheese on them and they taste extremely good.

Cybros makes good rolls to.

Envirokidz is a good brand..they have cereal bars and cereals that say gluten free on the box.

Glutino has breakfast bars that are gluten free the apple and blueberry are good but the chocolate in my opinion is not.

Kinnikinnick has bread, donuts, etc that are sooo good

Hope this helps :D if you need anything else let me know

CMWeaver Apprentice

With my girls being 4, I too was very concerned with what to feed them when we began the gluten-free diet.

The EnviroKids cereals are a favorite of theirs. The Gorilla Munch resembles the mainstream product Kix. There is also a PB Gorilla Munch as well as a Frosted Flakes that are gluten-free. You may also come across information about Malt-O-Meal cereals. Malt-O-Meal had three mainstream cereals that are gluten-free, Corn Bursts (like Corn Pops), Puffed Rice, Fruity Dyno Bites (like Fruity Pebbles), and Cocoa Dyno Bites (like Cocoa Pebbles). In December of 04, they had this information on their website but I've read recently that the cereals aren't gluten-free any longer. Infact, I just checked their site and the question about gluten-free cereals is no longer mentioned under Nutritional Questions. I just spoke with a rep and she said that come the summer, they will be starting to add Wheat Starch as an ingredient. So I'd stick to the EnviroKids.

I purchased the book "Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food for Kids" by Sheri Sanderson and I actually use it alot. Good recipes for Apple Fritters, Coffee Cake type things. I'll be glad to share the recipes (just email me if you'd like them :D

I also usually prepare a batch of gluten-free waffles and freeze them. I can usually get about 10 waffles from a recipe.

momof2 Explorer

I was where you are now about 10 months ago! The best thing that I did after my daughter was diagnosed, is I made a trip to a local co-op grocery store. I cried as I walked through the parking lot, but after I saw the amount of gluten free foods that were available for my daughter, I smiled as I left the store (with a cart full of good food for my very sick daughter!) As another post said, the Envirokids cereals are what my daughter lives on. Cocoa and Fruity pebbles are also gluten free! I wish you the best in your quest for gluten free foods to fill your little guys tummy!

Boojca Apprentice

My son is 3 too! He was diagnosed at 2 1/2 last June with celiac disease, though. Have you had your son tested for a wheat allergy, or are you sure it's all gluten?

Here are some GREAT things I've discovered that my son just ADORES:

Gluten free playdough: I've tried making it, it's a flop everytime. Invest the $20 in the bucket of assorted colors from www.discountschoolsupply.com it's WELL worth it!

Book: run, don't walk, to wherever you can get Danna Korn's book "Kids with Celiac Disease : A Family Guide to Raising Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Children" (I got mine from amazon .com) I have a copy, the grandma's both have copies, and our daycare provider has a copy. It's a GREAT resource.

Snacks: dried cranberries and peanuts; Envirokidz makes "rice crispy" type bars, my sons favorites are the peanut butter and the chocolate ones. He loves ice cream and popsicles, flourless peanut butter cookies, fruit salad, etc...

Nuggets: mock mcdonald's chicken nuggets (made with ground chicken and plain potato chips) are great

I know there's more, but I just can't think of it all.

Bridget

lstroud Newbie

I read most of the responses to your question but wanted to make sure to add "frozen waffles" to your list. Trader Joes has great gluten-free bananna waffles and they're not very expensive. My 3 staples for breakfast for my 3 year old son are Environkidz cereal, gluten-free cinnamon toast (I buy the bread in the store but the brand name is escaping me at the moment) and the waffles. As mentioned to you by other people the Environkidz ceral and bars are great. Very reasonably priced at Trader Joes if you have one near you.

My son was diagnosed at 1 year old and of course it was very stressful. He is in pre-school 5 days a week now and I was so worried about him eating gluten-free. I'm very lucky-the school staff is awesome and he has his own "drawer" of food.

Anyway, hope this helps. It's so overwhelming at first finding all the gluten-free food, but trust me, it gets easier!!! And remember, McDonalds hamburger happy meals are gluten-free without the bun (not breakfast but can come in handy when you need to do the fast food thing).

Take care and good luck to you...Lisa :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived