momxyz

Rice Crackers

Rate this topic

hi all, I confess I am a newbie in the gluten free kitchen arena.

A coworker of mine did me a huge favor by giving me a sample of brown rice flour and her recipe for crackers. My daughter enjoys these (yeah!) and I do too. I will share the recipe and then ask some questions from you all!

this is a half batch of what my friend makes -

2 Cups brown rice flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/2Tbsp brown sugar

2 tsp basil

1 tsp marjoram

1/2 sitck unsalted butter

3/4 to 1 cup water

mix all the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, melt the butter in the microvave. Add the dry ingredients to the butter and mix together till well distributed. Add the water and mix to even consistency. Grease a cookie sheet with butter; put the mix on this and press into a rectangular shape. A 7 1/2 by 10 inch shape will yield 25 crackers, 1 1/2 in by 2 in; a 71/2 by 12 inch shape will yield 30 crackers of the same dimensions. Experiment to obtain your preference.

When baking the smaller 7 1/2 X 10 inch cracker: Bake at 350 degrees; after 10 minutes, pull from oven and use a pizza wheel to slice the dough into the desired pieces. Return to oven for another 40 minutes.

For the 7 1/2 by 12 batch: bake the initial 10 minutes, slice the crackers, and return for 35 minutes.

now my question to you all is this: we both love butternut squash. I was cooking both squash tonite while I was baking crackers, and I thought, how cool it would be if I could somehow add squash to this recipe, to make a heartier biscuit?

Brainstorms, anyone>

Butternut squash makes a very fine and delicious substitute for pumkin in a pie!

For the crackers, maybe you could start out by replacing a few tablespoons of the water with the squash puree and see how it goes? If that works and doesn't throw off the texture too much but isn't flavorful enough, replace a few more the next time?

cool idea! I think that substituting the squash for some of the liquid content is a great idea!