abwredesign

So Nervous... Endoscopy This Morning After Having A Weak Positive Blood Test Result..

Rate this topic

I thank all of the people on this web site for getting me through days of anticipation. I have been reading about this for days. I am leaving soon for an endoscopy. I am so nervous. I really hope that this is the answer to all of the "issues" that I have lived with for over 20 years! I read these posts and relate to so many of you! My story: Colitis diagnosis after the birth of my son, 21 years ago. needless to say, many bowel problems, all that have been described on this site. Low Thyroid. Hair loss. Osteopenia. Just recently, went to a rheumatologist for what I thought was arthritis, swelling in my wrist, pain and swelling in my thumb joints, back pain, pain all over. He took blood, the results showing a vitamin D deficiency. He then sent me for more blood work, suspecting Celiacs. Imagine my shock when the results came back as weak positive, no arthritis.

That brings me to today. I have made the decision to try a gluten free diet regardless of the biopsy results. I am writing because of the confusion. the rheumatologist said that a positive is a positive, The gastro that I was referred to , who took more blood for genetic testing etc. said not necessarily. I am so confused. Have you all had this type of mixed messaging from Doctors? I have been given a referral for a nutritionist as well. Help!! I am not sure what to think, but know that I have to be patient. Does anyone understand what a weak positive means???

Thank you for reading this and look forward to your responses....

I thank all of the people on this web site for getting me through days of anticipation. I have been reading about this for days. I am leaving soon for an endoscopy. I am so nervous. I really hope that this is the answer to all of the "issues" that I have lived with for over 20 years! I read these posts and relate to so many of you! My story: Colitis diagnosis after the birth of my son, 21 years ago. needless to say, many bowel problems, all that have been described on this site. Low Thyroid. Hair loss. Osteopenia. Just recently, went to a rheumatologist for what I thought was arthritis, swelling in my wrist, pain and swelling in my thumb joints, back pain, pain all over. He took blood, the results showing a vitamin D deficiency. He then sent me for more blood work, suspecting Celiacs. Imagine my shock when the results came back as weak positive, no arthritis.

That brings me to today. I have made the decision to try a gluten free diet regardless of the biopsy results. I am writing because of the confusion. the rheumatologist said that a positive is a positive, The gastro that I was referred to , who took more blood for genetic testing etc. said not necessarily. I am so confused. Have you all had this type of mixed messaging from Doctors? I have been given a referral for a nutritionist as well. Help!! I am not sure what to think, but know that I have to be patient. Does anyone understand what a weak positive means???

got back from procedure. findings :gastric polyp and possible area of narrowing at the D1/D2 level. Will have to wait a week or so for the celiac result. Anyone understand this?? Thanks.

There are several antibodies that could be tested for. Do you know the name of the specific test that was weakly positive?

This is extremely common and I'll tell you why. The gastro doc is the one who will want to do an endo, not only to complete all the testing protocol that was drilled into his head during med school but because, and here is the issue that upsets some people, he makes lots of money doing endoscopies. Not to say doctors are all evil money mongers BUT the doctor will make a large amount of money, directly to him, for doing the test. Doctors are in business to help people but they also need to make money, like everyone else.

Your Rheumatologist is correct....a positive is a positive and with all your other symptoms combined, I would say that you are 99% sure of being a Celiac.

Having the endo is really up to the patient. You may want to have one because some people need to see damaged villi on a photograph for dietary compliance and to put their mind at ease about the diagnosis. For those with very high test scores and symptoms, where it's obvious they have a gluten problem, they may choose to skip directly to the diet.

A weak positive means that your numbers were probably lower on the test but high enough to be out of range for normal. You may not have accrued enough damage yet for the blood work to show very positive but it still means you are making antibodies to gluten. A huge word of caution......if you have a weak positive blood test, it could possibly mean that your endoscopy may come back negative. This does NOT mean you do not have celiac disease!!!!!!!! Damage can be patchy and doctors may miss damage if they take only a few samples. It's a real problem for some. Unless you have major gut damage, it could make it very hard to diagnose celiac disease. The real test will come when you do a dietary trial. If the gastro tells you it's negative for celiac disease, do the dietary trial anyway and take what he says with a grain of salt. Sounds like your Rheumatologist is better at it than the gastro so you may want to talk to him again.

Good luck!

There are several antibodies that could be tested for. Do you know the name of the specific test that was weakly positive?

I think it was IGA?? the # was 25, I was told that 20 - 30 is considered a weak positive. spoke with the Dr. this afternoon, and she did say that she repeated the test, I will have all the blood work results later in the week. Thank you!

This is extremely common and I'll tell you why. The gastro doc is the one who will want to do an endo, not only to complete all the testing protocol that was drilled into his head during med school but because, and here is the issue that upsets some people, he makes lots of money doing endoscopies. Not to say doctors are all evil money mongers BUT the doctor will make a large amount of money, directly to him, for doing the test. Doctors are in business to help people but they also need to make money, like everyone else.

Your Rheumatologist is correct....a positive is a positive and with all your other symptoms combined, I would say that you are 99% sure of being a Celiac.

Having the endo is really up to the patient. You may want to have one because some people need to see damaged villi on a photograph for dietary compliance and to put their mind at ease about the diagnosis. For those with very high test scores and symptoms, where it's obvious they have a gluten problem, they may choose to skip directly to the diet.

A weak positive means that your numbers were probably lower on the test but high enough to be out of range for normal. You may not have accrued enough damage yet for the blood work to show very positive but it still means you are making antibodies to gluten. A huge word of caution......if you have a weak positive blood test, it could possibly mean that your endoscopy may come back negative. This does NOT mean you do not have celiac disease!!!!!!!! Damage can be patchy and doctors may miss damage if they take only a few samples. It's a real problem for some. Unless you have major gut damage, it could make it very hard to diagnose celiac disease. The real test will come when you do a dietary trial. If the gastro tells you it's negative for celiac disease, do the dietary trial anyway and take what he says with a grain of salt. Sounds like your Rheumatologist is better at it than the gastro so you may want to talk to him again.

Good luck!

thank you for your response. I am lucky, my Dr. called me this afternoon and agrees that I should try a Gluten free diet. She is pro-active and I am really happy with the care that I am getting. I have an appointment with a nutritionist tomorrow afternoon. i think you are correct about the Rheumatologist-I do have a follow-up with him after the 8 weeks of vitamin D is finished. I am hoping this diet will change how I feel!!

thank you for your response. I am lucky, my Dr. called me this afternoon and agrees that I should try a Gluten free diet. She is pro-active and I am really happy with the care that I am getting. I have an appointment with a nutritionist tomorrow afternoon. i think you are correct about the Rheumatologist-I do have a follow-up with him after the 8 weeks of vitamin D is finished. I am hoping this diet will change how I feel!!

Good luck to you....it sounds like you are well on your way to the gluten-free lifestyle! If gluten is your problem, you will be amazed at all the little and large problems

that may actually go away just by eliminating gluten from your diet. It can be life changing! If you need any help with the food aspect of it, just ask here. You'll get better idea's than at most doctor's offices! ;)