Larryceliac

Is Rose Wine Gluten Free

Rate this topic

I just got tested again, after being gluten free and I am more severe with my results... going back to the DR today but the only thing I can think of would be Rose wine... which I was told was gluten free, but does anyone know if it really is or isn't?

Wine, regardless of the type, is simply not something I worry about. There are some here who do, but I am certainly not one of them.

Cheers!

:)

I just got tested again, after being gluten free and I am more severe with my results... going back to the DR today but the only thing I can think of would be Rose wine... which I was told was gluten free, but does anyone know if it really is or isn't?

My husband and I are both celiacs, and we've definitely been glutened by wine. We drank a Pinot Noir one night and both experienced symptoms afterwards. It was the only thing that was new or different in our diet at that time.

I emailed the owner of the winery (it's a small family-run winery, California central coast area) and he responded that yes, they use barrels from a cooperage in Burgundy that seals the barrel heads with rye paste!

Apparently many European coopersmiths use wheat paste or rye paste to seal barrels. American-produced barrels are usually sealed with materials that don't contain gluten. So this problem is very winery specific. You'd have to find out if the winery that produced your Rose uses barrels that have been sealed with wheat or rye paste.

JoAnn

P.S. There is also the issue of how sensitive you are to minute amounts of gluten...some of us are WAY more sensitive than others. It sounds like you're one of the sensitive ones. :(