This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peripheral Neuropathy

ksymonds84

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

For the past year or so I've had an occasional burning on the top of my left foot from the small toe to almost ankle bone that comes and goes. In the last couple of weeks my little toe on same foot has a tingling pins and needles burning feeling. It is worse in the morning. I don't recall banging it or anything and there are no lesions or bunions ect on it. Could this be peripheral neuropathy? The tips of my fingers will feel tingly as well but usually after I've been on the computer for hours.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yes it could be. Have you mentioned it to your doctor? In celiacs it can sometimes come from a B12 deficiency. Sublingual B12 will help in that cases.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Yes it could be. Have you mentioned it to your doctor? In celiacs it can sometimes come from a B12 deficiency. Sublingual B12 will help in that cases.

I see him on Thursday. The toe thing started after the gluten challenge. It really screwed up my system! I think I'm starting to get a little paranoid over everything. Good thing i only have to wait 3 more days to hopefully getting some answers! BTW, I tried a sublingual b-12 and the sorbitol gave me a canker sore where I placed in under the tongue. I will try to find one that doesn't have sorbitol or wait to see if i am low in b 12 and see if he wants to prescribe something. Thanks for replying. :)

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

If you can't tolerate the sublingual B-12 because of the additives you find in them, then the injections are not a big deal at all--if you are low in B12, the doctor can either have you come into the office to get the injections or can have a nurse teach you how to do them at home and write you a prescription for the B-12 and the needles. Unfortunately, the B12 nasal spray is insanely expensive (at least on my insurance it is). I think that official normal levels are in the 200-1200 unit range, but you should really be up over 400 units since between 5-10% of the population actually gets neurological symptoms if they dip below 400.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Which brand did you try? I use Jarrow Methylcobalamin B12. It contains Xylitol, not Sorbitol, it doesn't bother me. It has no wheat, no gluten, not boy, no dairy, no egg, no fish/shellfish, no peanuts or treenuts. It's the best I ever use.

You shouldn't take it before seeing your neuro anyways. It's best to have your B12 level checked before starting a supplement.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Which brand did you try? I use Jarrow Methylcobalamin B12. It contains Xylitol, not Sorbitol, it doesn't bother me. It has no wheat, no gluten, not boy, no dairy, no egg, no fish/shellfish, no peanuts or treenuts. It's the best I ever use.

You shouldn't take it before seeing your neuro anyways. It's best to have your B12 level checked before starting a supplement.

Thanks Deb, I looked over old threads and found someone else looking for a non sorbitol and discovered Pure Advantage. It is also a Methylcobalamin 12 but not fake sugars. I see my doctor on Thursday so I probably won't even get the on line order until after then. I've been taking the other form of b12 cyanoobalamin in a slow release of 2,000mcg since Friday, will that mess the testings up? I can skip then next 3 days.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks Deb, I looked over old threads and found someone else looking for a non sorbitol and discovered Pure Advantage. It is also a Methylcobalamin 12 but not fake sugars. I see my doctor on Thursday so I probably won't even get the on line order until after then. I've been taking the other form of b12 cyanoobalamin in a slow release of 2,000mcg since Friday, will that mess the testings up? I can skip then next 3 days.

It could so mention it to your doctor. If it is a tablet you swallow and you are celiac you may not be absorbing it in pill form, the reason why we need sublinguals or shots. Also if you take folic acid that can also give a false high reading. B12 is not a vitamin that is toxic in large doses so a trial on it if no other reasons for the neuropathy is found might not be a bad idea.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
It could so mention it to your doctor. If it is a tablet you swallow and you are celiac you may not be absorbing it in pill form, the reason why we need sublinguals or shots. Also if you take folic acid that can also give a false high reading. B12 is not a vitamin that is toxic in large doses so a trial on it if no other reasons for the neuropathy is found might not be a bad idea.

How much B-12 do you take? The Pure advantage I ordered is 500mcg per spray. BTW, ordered the soy panel and following your suggestion to avoid soy. Do you avoid soy lecithin as well? I was soy lite for awhile because soy milk gave me problems but didn't worry about soy lecithin in chips ect but avoided hydrolyzed soy protein.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
How much B-12 do you take? The Pure advantage I ordered is 500mcg per spray. BTW, ordered the soy panel and following your suggestion to avoid soy. Do you avoid soy lecithin as well? I was soy lite for awhile because soy milk gave me problems but didn't worry about soy lecithin in chips ect but avoided hydrolyzed soy protein.

The sublingual I take has 3000 mcg. I avoid all soy except for the lecithin. Luckily I don't seem to have any problems with it. I do have to avoid soy in all other forms including the oil.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I'm with Raven...no soy. I can also handle soy lecithin, nothing else.

Also if you take folic acid that can also give a false high reading. B12 is not a vitamin that is toxic in large doses so a trial on it if no other reasons for the neuropathy is found might not be a bad idea.

I didn't know this, had never heard it before. I take Folic Acid, was told you should when taking B12. :o

I take 5000mcg of B12 daily. In June, my neuro told me to keep taking the same dose, said my neuropathy has improved slightly. Thing is, this week, my hands have been falling asleep at night again, meaning my carpal tunnel is in a flare (another form of neuropathy). I got my braces out for tonight, and I hate wearing them. :(

Jackie927 Rookie

Walmart sells B12 sublinguals. I found them there yesterday. They had 2500 mcg. gluten-free, soy free and more free.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I got my braces out for tonight, and I hate wearing them. :(

Wouldn't you think they could design some that aren't so durn uncomfortable. :angry: I have to brace my feet sometimes for a different reason and have also had to use the hand ones. Makes trying to sleep interesting.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
Wouldn't you think they could design some that aren't so durn uncomfortable. I have to brace my feet sometimes for a different reason and have also had to use the hand ones. Makes trying to sleep interesting.

Oh yeah, for sure. If the people designing these had to wear them, you can bet they would be comfy. Mine are so restrictive, have big metal pieces on both sides. My old ones only had one metal strip. These have a much nicer fastening strip though. I also do not understand why both of my hands have to be bad, instead of just one like some people. :rolleyes: My carpal tunnel is an inoperable one. It has been doing very well, no problems at all, haven't had my braces out for over a year. I recently was glutened and am wondering if that had anything to do with the change. I also just started exercising with 3# weights in each hand, that may be the villian too. :( Stupid, worn out body!!!

I feel for you, my feet would have such a fit with braces, they hate anything touching them!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Oh yeah, for sure. If the people designing these had to wear them, you can bet they would be comfy. Mine are so restrictive, have big metal pieces on both sides. My old ones only had one metal strip. These have a much nicer fastening strip though. I also do not understand why both of my hands have to be bad, instead of just one like some people. :rolleyes: My carpal tunnel is an inoperable one. It has been doing very well, no problems at all, haven't had my braces out for over a year. I recently was glutened and am wondering if that had anything to do with the change. I also just started exercising with 3# weights in each hand, that may be the villian too. :( Stupid, worn out body!!!

I feel for you, my feet would have such a fit with braces, they hate anything touching them!

In my case I never really even had carpel tunnel, the nerve problems were a direct result of the antibodies attack on my nervous system. With this only happening when you get glutened I am wondering if perhaps that might be the case for you. I remove the metal in most of my splints and found they work just as well without them. Also the last time I had to get braces for my ankles I went to a sport supply store and they had ones that were much more comfortable and use straps and velcro to support rather than metal. I don't know if there might be something available for wrists but you may want to check. The other bonus was that in the Althletic store my splint was less than $25 for almost the identical one I got at the orthopedic surgeons the day before for $70!

ang1e0251 Contributor

My hands had been falling asleep at night too. They haven't done that in a long time. I did Not want carpal tunnel to return! But in hindsight, I forgot to take my B12 for several days and I bet that was it. Also I have varicose veins and I have one spot that is so painful and burning behind my knee. This time it was hurting again and that's when I realized I'd forgotten to take the B12. Now it's calm again. Now I know!

ang1e0251 Contributor
Walmart sells B12 sublinguals. I found them there yesterday. They had 2500 mcg. gluten-free, soy free and more free.

What kind were those? My Walmart only sells the cyanoobalamin not the methyl kind.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Is there a best time to take B-12 such as morning only ect? Also, since I only bought a 500mcg a spray should I spray twice or divide up the doses?

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Is there a best time to take B-12 such as morning only ect? Also, since I only bought a 500mcg a spray should I spray twice or divide up the doses?

I usually take it in the morning. I think you could either double up or do a spray in the am and one in the afternoon. I would spray under the tongue to insure that it is absorbed well as it needs to be absorbed my the mucous membranes.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
With this only happening when you get glutened I am wondering if perhaps that might be the case for you.

I've been glutened before though, without this happening. I'm thinking it's probably the weights, they're causing the aggravation. I just came back from my walk, my left hand was complaining, my feet were buzzing...maybe it's this horrible humid weather we are having. It's been the weirdest summer. My CFS symptoms seen to be in a flare, the fatigue is terrible. Before my walk, I took a nap, quite by accident! ;) Am I rambling? :P

• 1 month later...
gracetruth Newbie
I'm with Raven...no soy. I can also handle soy lecithin, nothing else.

I didn't know this, had never heard it before. I take Folic Acid, was told you should when taking B12. :o

I take 5000mcg of B12 daily. In June, my neuro told me to keep taking the same dose, said my neuropathy has improved slightly. Thing is, this week, my hands have been falling asleep at night again, meaning my carpal tunnel is in a flare (another form of neuropathy). I got my braces out for tonight, and I hate wearing them. :(

Hello, I am new here and go by "GraceTruth"; what a wonderful forum. I would like to share some information

I read about taking B12 supplements (when being over 75 mcg. per day)combining with mercury in the body which usually leeches out from our old mercury-silver fillings when we brush, get our teeth cleaned, and even chew (possibly only certain foods; I don't recall) and in particular when we have these fillings removed even by the best of alternative dentists who use rubber dams while doing the removal, ionizers to capture some or hopefully most of the vapors, and use damp cloths on our noses while removing......the claim by the medical report which I am sorry to say I have no clue where I read it so it will come off as opinion now for what it is worth....was that using B12 as a supplement in excess of 75 mcg could be dangerous to our health as it has the ability to combine with mercury which most of us in America have who have mercury -silver fillings and could cause cancer and if my memory serves me correctly the commentary was referring to breast cancer in particular. I must tell you that I did trust a commercial I saw on t.v. by a Christian couple who take super doses of B12 daily for mental clarity and I tried the product that they promoted which gave me about 1,000 mcg daily for about a week or more and a few months later after doing this which was a month or so I believe after I had three mercury/silver fillings removed I came down with the shingles and felt extremely ill. Shingles sometimes can be a harbinger of cancer. A few weeks after coming down with the shingles in August of 08 I was discovered to have a spider like looking spot in my right breast which was read to be a possible breast cancer indicator....I went on an anti cancer diet for a week with supplements high in anti oxidants and in particular whole fruit mangosteen juice containing xanthones known to knock out cancer cells and stayed off of all sugars and other juices as sugar is known to feed all cancers I have heard, and then after a week or so was sent for another mammo and was told it looked alright now. Well, now a year later and they have found:

"new calcifications in my right breast" where the other suspicious spot was last August. I researched over the net and was feeling positive at first that it appears that studies have shown several sites stated that 80 percent of calcifications in the breast are typically benign however after reading another report I became concerned. It stated that when a calcification has a spider web type appearance then that type was often associated with cancer of the breast and unfortunately that is what the spot looked like last Aug of 08; the technician had allowed me to view it last year...this year I did not think to ask the new technician....and later someone said.."they are not supposed to show you the xray after they take it" (supposedly later you can see it after it is read by the radiologist as it is legally our right to see our records). So, now, I take only B12 in small amts at about 75 mcg per day. My neuropathy which started most severely came about last fall a few months after the shingles had taken hold in my back onthe right side and had started down my right arm under my arm pit and toward my elbow and stopped there. I used lysine to combat the shingles, taking that amino acid daily by capsule, bought at the health food store. It seems to help people I know when combatting the herpes virus, all kinds (from chickenpox to shingles to cold sores for example). I also applied Bragg's organic raw apple cider directly to the red spot on my back where the shingles originated and that was the ONLY thing that took away the pain and it was after about a few minutes....no lydacaine patch or hydrocodone worked as the dr. had prescribed only that simple folk remedy treatment and I have shared that with the med. doctors and they loved hearing it for other patients as it is an extremely painful thing to have shingles. Regarding the xylitol posts which originally helped me find this site as I wondered how it worked with those having celiac as a world renknowed doctor believes that is what I have after talking with him by phone recently and I must say after getting off of gluten I am feeling so much better internally with my intestinal problems that I have had all my life which was diagnosed as IBS for years (irritable bowel syndrome), I now want to continue using a new chocolate product that contains xylitol if at all possible so ended up here reading some posts and then found this one on B12 also, so here I am.

I found it much more interesting and viable a comment to read that perhaps because xylitol comes in most cases from the corn husk (and there may be allergies to corn for some with celiac) rather than xylitol coming from Birch bark as it once did primarily, than believing that it may give diarrhea and that could be the problem one should worry about most. I don't personally believe that xylitol, fromwhat I have researched gives diarrhea except when it is used in excess and that is something that people might want to test out for themselves. It seems to be a subjective thing to use xylitol when having celiac and I wouldn't want to steer anyone away from a product that they might find beneficial when baking and I personally believe that that should be their call and something they need to figure out for themselves. I hope that this helps. I think it is important to remember to observe the rule of giving our opinion if we cannot quote research which is why I have been careful to state that I "think" I read, and I "believe" and it is my "opinion" so take what you read here as opinion and find out for yourself through further research about the B12 for ex. in excess of 75 mcg combining with mercury in the body and the use of xylitol when having celiac. Thank you for listening; I hope my comments have been helpful to at least one person if not more than that. Yes, I am long winded but had a lot to share; I apologize if this is upsetting to anyone for any reason. Blessings, GraceTruth

gracetruth Newbie
I've been glutened before though, without this happening. I'm thinking it's probably the weights, they're causing the aggravation. I just came back from my walk, my left hand was complaining, my feet were buzzing...maybe it's this horrible humid weather we are having. It's been the weirdest summer. My CFS symptoms seen to be in a flare, the fatigue is terrible. Before my walk, I took a nap, quite by accident! ;) Am I rambling? :P

I am so grateful to have found a post and forum where so many people seem to share maladies I myself have been suffering from on and off in particular for the past five years or so and more so in the last year. I have shared some discoveries I have made that made me feel better and hope that by doing so here that some of you may try what I did and improve in your health as I have on some level anyway.

Here goes, I go by "GraceTruth" and I just posted a very long post already below. I apologize for being a chatterbox. I have a lot of information I do want to share which my doctors have found remarkable and worthy of listening to and felt was very informative to them. I have always kept close watch on my health over my 61 years trying to understand what I may have done or changed that may have brought about various negative responses in my body.

sometimes I have kept journals about my health and what I ate and my symptoms that followed for example but not always. My memory is not as good as it once was when younger so take my words as "opinion" however some may be fact but I dare not say that as I don't want to steer anyone wrong here. Below I told the forumof my experience with shingles last Aug of 08 and must tell you that I have had an odd occurrence for many many years even decades before that whereby every May and August or early Sep I would come down with some clear pimples starting from my scalp and moving down toward my feet and the bottom of my feet would prickle at times like needles sticking in me in various spots at the bottom of my feet. I have for many years now believed that it was the chicken pox virus that goes dormant inside after having it as a child and comes out I have been told when older when our immune system gets severly run down and appears as the dasdardly "shingles" which at times can be a harbinger, a warning sign of cancer coming on but not necessarily so don't get into fear over this as that is the worst thing any of can do is to fear something. It is best I have found to have a healthy respect and take seriously this possibility but never to fear it just deal with it logically and purposefully. The action I have discovered that has worked for me is to take lysine (an amino acid that comes from food); it balances another amino acid called arginine I have read that is often found in abundance in chocolate, seeds, and nuts. In the old days when eating chocolate chip cookies I noted that when taking milk which contains the opposite of arginine found in chocolate,....good ol lysine...I did not tend to get run down and get a virus that may be going around....but if not taking the milk with the chocolate...I was more apt to get a cold sore or virus or shingles. I had eaten a ton of chocolate the day before I came down with the shingles last Aug of 08. Anyway, I believe that due to some damage done to my nerves in my right hand (which was the same side my shingles had been on on my back last Aug of 08) and this damage to my right hand nerves was i truly believe after an electrode test was done on my right hand by a chiropractor who was testing me for which metals and anesthesia was best for me when getting dental treatment by his friend an alternative dentist....who removed mercury silver fillings with what their group believed was the safest method (I have come to realize that unless you go to Dr.Huggins in colorado and use his group and pay 6 to 15 thousand to remove them in one day or in two weeks every other day in exactly the order he knows how to do it...very complicated to explain...then I had better leave them in) as the result of taking it out one can find by doing research is much more dangerous than leaving them in ...so much mercury is being entered into your system when removing and so much more than over your lifetime slowly I have heard)....anyway...this electrode test seems to have injured hopefully temporarily the nerves in my right hand which may have awakened the sleeping giant of the shingles (herpes) virus which may have been lying dormant in my nerves on my right side (my med. dr. agreed with my logic on this) and then neuropathy occurred in my right hand and with it a "migraine in my hand" which my doctor said could happen to some people....strange I know but that is what she said...anyway...my finger tips turned purple and numb and ice cold and my hand was itchy and had red spots in some places.....I prayed for inspiration and felt inspired to type in "itchy painful fingertips" or something in a medical site that asked for symptoms and did a search and came up with "tons of stuff on vasculitis which led to Buerghers disease (spelling?) anyway...that is what smokers get and I have never smoked cigarettes.

I did more searching on the good old web and found someone had commented on scleraderma like my good friend has and this led to me finding out that scleraderma can involve having calcium deposits in one's skin as one type of scleraderma.

I also realized I had a severely low Vit D3 level and my med. doctor told me that at least 80 percent of Americans and in particular in the northeast where they do not get much sunlight in the winter suffer from extremely low vit.D levels. I have been very poor about taking my prescribed supplement once a week of 50,000 units of D3 and now in the past month as well as last fall when my hand was acting up with that neuropathy and I must tell you that made all the difference inthe world. I have an opinion which my colonoscopy surgeon and my m.d. are very fascinated with and feel may be correct....that Vit. D being very low with many people I personally have met including my own trait and having been diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis (that went back to plain old low thryoid disease after taking vit. D) , and at one time myasthenia gravis (a muscle disorder that I was able to overcome with supplements) and

vasculitis (which I overcame by getting back on the Vit D andalso taking cod liver oil and liquid colloidal mineral supplement from an alternative health practitioner, and staying off the deadly nightshade family of foods namely:

potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, and all peppers, sweet and hot, and ketchup and fries in particular as they come from tomatoes and potatoes obviously and by taking only a calcium supplement that had other minerals with it that would help get the calcium not into the end of my right hand thumb (where I had to have a calcium bony deposit removed this past spring) and not into my skin which I do believe with all my heart were nothing more than calcium crystals that felt like little needles and actually sharp pointy things like crystals in my skin of my right hand and finger tips in particular where I believe they get stuck in small capillaries as they can't move out of there once in there...so have to have magnesium, vit. K, vit D, vit A, phosphorous, and other minerals like selenium and such to help the calcium be picked up and transported into the bones where it is supposed to go and not left to circulate in the bloodstream alone where it may be getting trapped into the capillaries thus causing prickly painful neuropathy and tingling... (now this is all theory...and my doctors love it...but it is my opinion...and not yet proven...however) my experience was that after taking the vit D and the cod liver oil (vit d and A are in that) and the selenium, zinc too, and copper (zinc and copper need to be in a ration of 8 to 1 I have read) and staying off of calcium supplements that do not contain phosphorous and magnesium and vit K and only taking the supplement now and then...and to tell you the truth I am afraid to take any calcium supplement at all and feel safer getting my calcium from organically grown dark fresh greens and foods high in calcium like black olives for example and chick peas (garbanzos which I am not sure yet is good for celiac..anyone know?).....so my vasculitis and neuropathy went completely away within a few days after doing this....and I am now a believer....that is my story....now since having had my calcified cyst taken off my right thumb however...they find calcifications in the tissue of my right breast....hmmmm....did the misplaced calcium that used to go there...now find a place to sit in my breast ?? don't know.....but it sure is interesting....so am back taking my Vit D3 (also I have called it vit D at times for short), and selenium (which I read fights breast cancer) so am doing this and am on a gluten free diet after talking with a world reknowned doctor (MD and surgeon) by phone the other day and he believes that I have celiac disease and so am doing the diet and feeling so much better I must say....and taking the Vit D3 by my med dr. (personal care doctor) and taking a liquid colloidal mineral supplement and supporting my adrenal glands with herbs that were near total exhaustion after having "betar test" and "muscle testing" by a local alternative holistic healer and my fibroid cysts in my breast seem to have melted away or whatever they do (just as they did years ago in six months after taking selenium mineral tabs) and my doctor then was amazed...after doing a repeat mammo...) and am thinking only positive and healthy thoughts, staying away from negative people right now, and praying and eating organic foods and absolutely no sugar as that feeds cancer and drinking oxygenated tap water using a machine that someone bought for me as oxygen in the cells fights cancer as opposed to opening up a body cavity and exposing cancer to "air" and having it grow faster ..I would like to note that "air" is not the same as "oxygen" ...air contains nitrogen and hydrogen as well as oxygen and is a different molecular compound than pure "oxygen", so the statement that "air is oxygen and causes cancer to grow " must be totally falacious; you decide, as it is now known by the medical field that cancer within the cells and within the (closed) body kills cancer cells....interesting is it not? Anyway, if after eating gluten free diet, staying off of large amts of B12 supplements, taking supplements known to carry away heavy metals outof my body (do research on net for more on that) and

also taking dark organic greens and supplements like super blue green algae and selenium and other minerals(In liquid form) and Vit D3 like I was supposed to be doing consistently for four years and have not been good about it, and staying away from sugar for a month or two, I am going to request another mammo...and then decide to have a biopsy or not as I have heard that if it is cancer and you biopsy it...then it could spread....as you break open the protective capsule that contains it in the breast.....so I'll get back to you and let you know how I do on this regimen...and I may have missed something....that I take in addition to these things...also exercise and a lot of drinking of good water.....and no sodas at all (sodas leach out precious calcium from bones and teeth and esp. the country's fave that is black looking and loaded with sugar and caffeine; you know the one..that is the all time worst....it acidifies your ph in your body and sets up an environment for disease....it is better to have an alkaline environment and that helps with all disease.....do research on that one and you can find out a lot. I have taken lemon juice in good clean water with stevia powder (from a leaf...safest sugar I have ever found) and that is from a health food store and it is not a sugar but a food and a natural sweetener from nature...yummy...and hoping it is okay with celiac ....should be but don't know...yet...have to do research....and or take it plain lemon water....and the acidin it actually has the opposite effect on the body and alkalizes the body making it more of a ph environment that does not so easily promote disease....I find it relaxes me and I also sleep better ...now how that works with the intestines and celiac I don't know yet....better do research on that too....am hoping I can still take it now that I know I have celiac...my three grandchildren all have it and their father too. Well . ..hope this helped someone. GraceTruth

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Shingles usually are stress related, and I'm betting you got shingles simply because you were so worried about having the fillings removed. I have read removing the fillings can be much worse than just leaving them alone. My daughter had shingles when she was 15 (shingles may flare at any time from stress too)because of too much stress in her life, she was taking drivers training with a very cruel teacher, she is now 27 and still does not have a drivers license and no desire to have one.

Open Original Shared Link

Should I have my mercury fillings removed?

Most experts agree that it is best to leave existing mercury fillings in place unless they need to be removed for other reasons. During removal, the heat of a dentist's drill can efficiently vaporize the mercury, resulting in significant inhalation of this toxic metal. In addition, the drill can chip out small bits of the filling, which become embedded in cheeks and gums. These chips can then release mercury directly into the body. So removing mercury fillings can actually increase your exposure to mercury.

There is controversy on both sides of this. I feel there may be more damage removing them, then just leaving them alone. Only my opinion.

As for B12...research on B12 has proven using it is perfectly safe. The value of having B12 is much more prelevant that being deficient. I have gluten ataxia because of B12 deficiency, which was caused by years and years of eating gluten that was poisoning me, causing major deficiencies. I have been taking B12 for 5 yrs, first 1000mcg, then 3000mcg, and now 5000mcg. My neuro is now seeing proof that B12 is healing my nerve endings, and he told me to continue with this dose. There is no proof that B12 causes cancer.

The decreasing trend was most marked in women with higher folate and vitamin B(12 )intake. However, test for interaction was not statistically significant (p = 0.29). CONCLUSIONS: High folate intake was associated with decreased breast cancer risk. Vitamin B(12) intake may modify this association.

B12 actually is a healing supplement and very good for people to use.

gracetruth Newbie
Shingles usually are stress related, and I'm betting you got shingles simply because you were so worried about having the fillings removed. I have read removing the fillings can be much worse than just leaving them alone. My daughter had shingles when she was 15 (shingles may flare at any time from stress too)because of too much stress in her life, she was taking drivers training with a very cruel teacher, she is now 27 and still does not have a drivers license and no desire to have one.

There is controversy on both sides of this. I feel there may be more damage removing them, then just leaving them alone. Only my opinion.

As for B12...research on B12 has proven using it is perfectly safe. The value of having B12 is much more prelevant that being deficient. I have gluten ataxia because of B12 deficiency, which was caused by years and years of eating gluten that was poisoning me, causing major deficiencies. I have been taking B12 for 5 yrs, first 1000mcg, then 3000mcg, and now 5000mcg. My neuro is now seeing proof that B12 is healing my nerve endings, and he told me to continue with this dose. There is no proof that B12 causes cancer.

gracetruth Newbie

gracetruth Newbie

Yes, I agree that I have heard that taking B12 is useful in many ways and with healing nerves. I typically am big on taking all supplements as long as they are in balance with other vits and minerals. I have heard that if we take B12 for example it is important to take in combination with B-complex supplement which contains all the other B vits as well including a small amt. of B12 so that the B12 will work in concert with the other B vitamins and not leave us unbalanced and even possibly creating a need for more of the other B vitamins. I know years ago when going through menopause and emotional times due to it my m.d. had me take a B6 supplement for some depression I was experiencing as he said it often was low when women were going through hormonal changes like that but I did take it with a B Complex pill which also had a small amount of B6 in it as well.

I will do some searching on the net to see if I can find that study which I believe it was regarding large amounts of B12 taken into the body when there are significant amounts of mercury in one's system. In my case I am sure there was as I had not only three of those mercury silver fillings taken out over a six week period but oh maybe two or three years earlier a dentist who didn't know what he was doing completely drilled out one of those fillings and I remember feelings tiny pieces flying around all inside of my mouth and I'm sure I also swallowed some not to mention the vapors which he had no clue about using an ionic machine for capturing at that time (and it doesn't necessarily get all the vapors either I am thinking) ....after that treatment...I said..."I am concerned that I have had a lot of mercury released into my system"....this is before many people were talking about mercury removal so openly...and he later had his secretary write to me and ask me to never come back to his office....hmmmm.

Hey, thank you for the comments. I notice you copy and paste urls at the bottom of your posts. I will try to do the same. Now I have to figure out how to do my profile. I find those to be an interesting "read". It sure is tough trying to figure out how to start a whole new regimen and lifestyle with this celiac. My intestines feel a bit sore now and I have to figure out if I stand to eat the general mills rice chex again for breakfast.....is whole milk okay for most with celiac? I am sure it is subjective, individualized. I am so so tired lately....is that a symptom? of celiac? GraceTruth

Archived