Rate this topic

Is there such thing as a gin distilled from something other than grains.

I know they say the gluten molecule is too large to pass through the distillation process but, I have read over and over of people who are still effected by vinegars, gin...etc

I would rather drink something that has not been distilled from grains at all just to be safe at this point and maybe experiment later when my system has evened out.

So does anyone know of a gluten free gin that has NOT come from grains?

Well, it depends to a degree on what you mean by "grain."

If you use the generally accepted definition of that word, then corn and rice are included, although they do not contain "gluten" in the sense that we mean by that word.

I am of the school that believe that gluten does not survive the distillation process, although peptide fragments do remain. I don't react to those fragments, although some celiacs do. I enjoy a classic Martini, and use Beefeater gin to make them. I have never had an adverse reaction.

Is there such thing as a gin distilled from something other than grains.

I know they say the gluten molecule is too large to pass through the distillation process but, I have read over and over of people who are still effected by vinegars, gin...etc

I would rather drink something that has not been distilled from grains at all just to be safe at this point and maybe experiment later when my system has evened out.

So does anyone know of a gluten free gin that has NOT come from grains?

The folks who are affected by vinegar are generally having problems with vinegar, not with gluten. Almost no vinegar is made from wheat and the wheat now has to be clearly marked. I can't name a product with wheat vinegar off-hand.

Malt vinegar is clearly marked as such and definitely should not be consumed by people with celiac disease.

As for gin, I'm also in the category that it's not a concern because of distillation.

richard

River

I also have no problem with gins or shochu, a Japanese alcohol often distilled from Barley.

I also consider myself very sensitive and cannot walk in to bakeries or breath around fresh baked goods.

Peter

I can tell you about sake and shochu but not much about gin. Are all made essentially the same way?

Ken