Sandi*

Can Stool Test Show Antibodies That Were Missesd By Blood Test?

Rate this topic

I am wondering whether the stool test done by enterolab could show antibodies that were missed by the regular blood test. I've had tests for celiac before - blood test at the GI's office, home blood test (Biocard), upper GI endoscopy, coloscopy, and finally the camera pill. All was negative for celiac disease. The only thing that was found was an inflammation of the colon (which my doc didn't even tell me, I only found out yesterday when I was reviewing my file, at least he did write it down).

Anyways, the curious thing about the blood test was that my IgA levels were very low (10 whereas the normal range is 70-400). I know this can affect the acuracy of the results. I'm thinking about doing the Enterolab stool test. My question is, though, would my low IgA cause a false negative? I don't want to waste $$$ on a test that may not be valid for me.

I'm also undergoing a gene panel testing, hopefully I will get the results soon. However, I'm really scared that all the tests will be negative. I would love to have some proof that it's not just in my head and I should stick to the diet. Also, it would help me decide if I need to avoid just wheat or actually gluten. I do feel much better when I avoid wheat but I'd like to know how strict with the diet I need to be. Avoiding wheat only is definitely much easier.

I'm actually a bit jealous of people on here who got dx by the "gold standard", went on the diet and got better. My whole life I've been told "it's IBS, eat more fiber and stop worrying about it". I'm just sick of doctors and "professionals" who don't get it.

Sorry for typos, I'm using my iphone while waiting in a doctor's office (orthopedist).

Anyways, the curious thing about the blood test was that my IgA levels were very low (10 whereas the normal range is 70-400). I know this can affect the acuracy of the results. I'm thinking about doing the Enterolab stool test. My question is, though, would my low IgA cause a false negative? I don't want to waste $$$ on a test that may not be valid for me.

I'm also undergoing a gene panel testing, hopefully I will get the results soon. However, I'm really scared that all the tests will be negative. I would love to have some proof that it's not just in my head and I should stick to the diet. Also, it would help me decide if I need to avoid just wheat or actually gluten. I do feel much better when I avoid wheat but I'd like to know how strict with the diet I need to be. Avoiding wheat only is definitely much easier.

Hi Sandi,

Considering that you're IgA deficient, a blood test is useless. If you're still eating gluten you might want to go looking for a gastroenterologist who's willing to do an endoscopy. You could also get tested for an allergy to wheat, but is it really that much more difficult to avoid rye, barley, and oats? I find that rye is very easy to avoid! Barley is not that difficult either once you realize that "brown rice syrup" = barley in disguise. There are sooo many other grains :) The genetic test could also give you some answers. Don't panic if you're not a DQ2 or DQ8 (although you could be)... post the results on here and other people will help you interpret them.

Hi Sandi,

Considering that you're IgA deficient, a blood test is useless. If you're still eating gluten you might want to go looking for a gastroenterologist who's willing to do an endoscopy. You could also get tested for an allergy to wheat, but is it really that much more difficult to avoid rye, barley, and oats? I find that rye is very easy to avoid! Barley is not that difficult either once you realize that "brown rice syrup" = barley in disguise. There are sooo many other grains :) The genetic test could also give you some answers. Don't panic if you're not a DQ2 or DQ8 (although you could be)... post the results on here and other people will help you interpret them.

Thank you for your answer. I'm actually trying to get an appointment with a GI doctor that got good reviews online, but cannot get a hold of anyone in her office. I think it might be closed for summer while she works at a hospital or something. However, I'm staying away from gluten right now. I had some pizza bread last week (I though I could get that appointment soon so I should eat it anyway) but I was in so much pain the next day that I decided it's just not worth it.

As for avoiding gluten, yes, avoiding other grains would not be much harder. However, I'm always paranoid about things that are hidden gluten sources, such as certain candy, bouillon cubes, meals that other people prepared and claim are gluten-free but may actually not be... This is why it'd be easier to avoid just wheat or even other gluten-containing grains. I try to prepare most of my meals but often I just need to grab something convenient.

Yes, I will post results when I get them, although I will probably stick to a gluten-free diet anyway.

I actually did have an allergy test, I forgot to mention that. Nope, nothing, as usual. All of my doctors aways tell me how healthy I am. Well, why am I always in so much pain? Go figure...

How long ago was the endoscopy? If you are not going to have it redone then you may just want to try the diet strictly for a bit. Enterolab can test if you are recently gluten free and I personally would think about getting the test. They also gene test for more than just the typical DQ2 or 8 so that can be quite helpful also. They do not diagnose celiac but they can tell you if you are forming antibodies. They can also test for antibodies to other proteins like casien (milk), soy, egg and can test for yeast and malabsorption. Some of us are very hard to diagnose and your very low IGA might be a factor in the Enerolab testing also. If and when you decide to order the tests do email or call them first to discuss whether the low IGA might negate some of the tests.

Yes, I will post results when I get them, although I will probably stick to a gluten-free diet anyway.

I actually did have an allergy test, I forgot to mention that. Nope, nothing, as usual. All of my doctors aways tell me how healthy I am. Well, why am I always in so much pain? Go figure...

I am glad to see that you are going to stick with the diet.

Celiac doesn't show up on allergy testing. Celiac is an autoimmune reaction and allergy is a histamine reaction. Some allergists can guide folks through an elimination diet but those are becoming fewer. I also had a hard time with being diagnosed because of false negative blood tests. It can be very frustrating and disheartening. Hang in there and hopefully the diet is the answer for you.

..... Barley is not that difficult either once you realize that "brown rice syrup" = barley in disguise.

I know there's been some controversy on this in the past (reminds me of bleu cheese controversy), but I'm pretty darn sure there are loads of gluten-free products from reputable companies using brown rice syrup as a sweetener.

I know there's been some controversy on this in the past (reminds me of bleu cheese controversy), but I'm pretty darn sure there are loads of gluten-free products from reputable companies using brown rice syrup as a sweetener.

I agree, not all the brown rice syrup uses barley malt, some do though so it is best to call the company and ask before use. The biggest danger seems to me to the companies hiding it malt in the flavorings. If it is in a small enough amount companies can consider it a flavor and flavoring does not have to be declared as to it's components.

I'm one of the "lucky" ones who got a positive diagnosis from the blood panel, and damage visible in the subsequent endoscope. :) My husband, however, had all of the classic symptoms and had a negative blood result and negative biopsy. If memory serves me, his IGA number was low.

He decided to spring for the Enterolab stool test, where the antibodies were clearly seen - - a lot of them. There was also a large percentage of fat present in the stool, again indicative of malabsorption issues.

DH went gluten-free right away, and all of his symptoms disappeared within a month or so. He's a new guy. :)

How long ago was the endoscopy? If you are not going to have it redone then you may just want to try the diet strictly for a bit. Enterolab can test if you are recently gluten free and I personally would think about getting the test. They also gene test for more than just the typical DQ2 or 8 so that can be quite helpful also. They do not diagnose celiac but they can tell you if you are forming antibodies. They can also test for antibodies to other proteins like casien (milk), soy, egg and can test for yeast and malabsorption. Some of us are very hard to diagnose and your very low IGA might be a factor in the Enerolab testing also. If and when you decide to order the tests do email or call them first to discuss whether the low IGA might negate some of the tests.

The biopsy was 3 years ago, the latest blood test (the home test was last year). Since then I've been on the diet on and off (felt a bit better, then had a bad day, decided it wasn't worth it, and so on). It's a good idea emailing the lab before.

I didn't know this. Definitely something else to watch out for :(.

I'm one of the "lucky" ones who got a positive diagnosis from the blood panel, and damage visible in the subsequent endoscope. smile.gif My husband, however, had all of the classic symptoms and had a negative blood result and negative biopsy. If memory serves me, his IGA number was low.

He decided to spring for the Enterolab stool test, where the antibodies were clearly seen - - a lot of them. There was also a large percentage of fat present in the stool, again indicative of malabsorption issues.

DH went gluten-free right away, and all of his symptoms disappeared within a month or so. He's a new guy. smile.gif

Emily, your husband's response to the diet and the stool test are exactly the answer I was looking for! Did he also have the gene tests? If so, how did he do on that one?

Emily, your husband's response to the diet and the stool test are exactly the answer I was looking for! Did he also have the gene tests? If so, how did he do on that one?

Nope, he did not have any genetic testing done. His brother was diagnosed with a positive blood panel about three years ago. We're certain it's on their mom's side - - she has had symptoms all of her life, but will probably always eat gluten. :(

I am wondering whether the stool test done by enterolab could show antibodies that were missed by the regular blood test. I've had tests for celiac before - blood test at the GI's office, home blood test (Biocard), upper GI endoscopy, coloscopy, and finally the camera pill. All was negative for celiac disease. The only thing that was found was an inflammation of the colon (which my doc didn't even tell me, I only found out yesterday when I was reviewing my file, at least he did write it down).

I'm actually a bit jealous of people on here who got dx by the "gold standard", went on the diet and got better. My whole life I've been told "it's IBS, eat more fiber and stop worrying about it". I'm just sick of doctors and "professionals" who don't get it.

Sorry for typos, I'm using my iphone while waiting in a doctor's office (orthopedist).

I had a negative blood test and decided to WASTE my money on enterolab, it also came back negative. I had a biopsy this past monday after going on a gluten challenge for two weeks. The doc said it looks like celiac, we have to wait for biopsy results to make it official. So upset I wasted the money with enterolab!!!!!

My blood test was negative but I went gluten free anyway. After one year I decided I had to know more. I knew biopsy and another blood test were out of the question so I did gene testing through enterolab. It was a good investment. My results showed I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene. I showed the results to my doctor who said he felt comfortable diagnosing me with Celiac based on my positive response to the diet and the gene results.

Anyways, the curious thing about the blood test was that my IgA levels were very low (10 whereas the normal range is 70-400). I know this can affect the acuracy of the results. I'm thinking about doing the Enterolab stool test.

Hi ~ I'm trying hard to figure out what's wrong with me, and what you are describing is sounding too familiar. I was "diagnosed" gluten intolerant... then did some research and now I want to know what exactly that means. I don't have $$ for biopsy to know if I have celiacs... but that doesn't matter to me as much as a mis-diagnosis.

I just got copies of my lab work from my naturopath, and he said I was gluten intolerant since birth and I should avoid gluten for life. But when I look at the actual lab results ~ the F14 Giladin SIgA tested negative 7. That just doesn't sound right.

My labs were as follows:

CS1: +3 candida, +1 saprophytic fungi

GP2: no parasites

MB2 Total intestinal SIgA: <11 (normal range is 400-880)

MB3 Intestinal lysozyme: 4 (normal is 6)

MB4 Alph Anti-Chymotrypsin: <14 (normal is <60)

FG1 Chymotrypsin: <3 (normal is >9)

no allergy to milk, soy, egg

F14 Gliadin Ab SIgA: 7 negative

I feel 100 times better on a grain free /sugar free diet, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something... and I'd like to know if anyone else had low chymotrypsin levels and what that means for you. I just want to make sure this is the right diagnosis... I don't want to end up with pancreatic problems (or maybe I have them already :huh: )

Hi ~ I'm trying hard to figure out what's wrong with me, and what you are describing is sounding too familiar. I was "diagnosed" gluten intolerant... then did some research and now I want to know what exactly that means. I don't have $$ for biopsy to know if I have celiacs... but that doesn't matter to me as much as a mis-diagnosis.

I just got copies of my lab work from my naturopath, and he said I was gluten intolerant since birth and I should avoid gluten for life. But when I look at the actual lab results ~ the F14 Giladin SIgA tested negative 7. That just doesn't sound right.

My labs were as follows:

CS1: +3 candida, +1 saprophytic fungi

GP2: no parasites

MB2 Total intestinal SIgA: <11 (normal range is 400-880)

MB3 Intestinal lysozyme: 4 (normal is 6)

MB4 Alph Anti-Chymotrypsin: <14 (normal is <60)

FG1 Chymotrypsin: <3 (normal is >9)

no allergy to milk, soy, egg

F14 Gliadin Ab SIgA: 7 negative

I feel 100 times better on a grain free /sugar free diet, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something... and I'd like to know if anyone else had low chymotrypsin levels and what that means for you. I just want to make sure this is the right diagnosis... I don't want to end up with pancreatic problems (or maybe I have them already :huh: )

I may be reading those incorrectly, but it appears as if your total serum IgA is extremely low which probably means you are IgA deficient (not uncommon for celiac disease - unusual but not extremely rare according to the research I've read). This would mean that your gliadin IgA will never register a positive test even though you are having a positive dietary response to a gluten-free diet.

Thanks Korwyn!

That is great information. I've been trying to decide if I should go in for a biopsy... but I don't have insurance ~ and if it comes up negative I would be a little upset for having spent so much money. And it sounds like having low serum IgA could affect the outcome. Plus dealing with it is the same... have to avoid gluten.

I've been searching for answers for about 12 years... reading these posts here make me feel I'm in the right neighborhood. I just wish this all would be easier to diagnose and understand.

Yes, if your total IgA is low, all the IgA type tests, including enterolab, will register low too. But the fat malabsorption test form enterolab will be high, maybe that is why they add it in, to catch the IgA deficient people.