Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have been diagnosed with celiac disease for over 2 years and I have been suffering ever since with depression. I am having problems finding an antidepressant that does not contain any wheat or gluten. I am currently taking St Johns Wart but I do not feel that these are having an effect. Please could someone recommend an antidepressant that they have had success with taking.

Hope someone can help

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have been taking Zoloft. I won't say that it cures all of the depression, but I take a small dose and I really don't want to increase the amount that I take. I have read on here that Zoloft can casuse Collangeous Colitis, but the doctor says that he doesn't believe this to be true. I have developed Microscopic Colitis, since I have been taking it, but it may not have anything to do with the Zoloft. Good Luck!

paxil and xanax are gluten free too--i have taken both---its normal to be depressed too--its a lifestyle change we have to make and we mourn food--i read that we celiacs are addicted to gluten and we crave it--dont feel alone--you have to look at the plus side of things--you are alive--going gluten-free you are lowering your chance of stomach cancer, there is still a wide variety of foods you can eat and food definately does not keep us from having a good time--live life one day at a time--dont live for tomorrow, live for today and remember, we celiacs can do anything that anyone else does--we can be just as healthy, with some hard work--keep your chin up----deb

I'm currently taking Zoloft 50mg. My GI doctor suggested I take Zoloft also since the serotonin is not only utilized by the brain but the GI tract as well. I never heard of that before but hey.....I'm not a doctor (although I feel like I'm studying to be one sometimes!)