This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are There Any Corn/potatoe Chips That Are 100% Safe?

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

I was eating Tostitos corn chips for a long time but found out they are unsafe. any suggestions? thx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast
I was eating Tostitos corn chips for a long time but found out they are unsafe. any suggestions? thx

Yeah, Tostitos leave me feeling a little yuck. I like Mission Corn Tortilla chips... more like strips. :huh: A little more expensive, but IMO much better and they've never bothered me. Lay's Stax are also supposed to be made on dedicated lines, last I checked, if you want a potato chip.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

We eat Stax and Kettle brand potato chips. Both say gluten free on package.

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Terra chips are my gluten-free (and corn-free) favorite :P

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

Check out UTZ QUALITY FOODS, Hanover, Pa. 17331 .... They clearly mark the chip bags, "This is a Gluten Free Food"... Great Chips....

jasonD2 Experienced

Well its says gluten-free but it most brands dont describe the processing/packaging conditions & if there is risk for cc-

BTW, are Frito corn chips safe? i always eat those when im on the road

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast
Well its says gluten-free but it most brands dont describe the processing/packaging conditions & if there is risk for cc-

BTW, are Frito corn chips safe? i always eat those when im on the road

Stax are made on a dedicated line. There is no risk of CC. Frito corn chips are gluten free but not made on a dedicated line. Some people have issues with Frito Lay products because of this. My own son gets leg cramps when he eats too much Lays.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I agree with UTZ's chips...they are good. I can't eat Kettle chips, they make me sick. I tried them when I was on vacation in Mich, because they do not have UTZ there.

I used to eat regular Lays chips all the time, never had a problem with them...the bags from Plano Texas are ok...but, they changed their oil from sunflower/safflower oil to sunflower/corn oil, I won't touch them anymore.

hannahp57 Contributor

Open Original Shared Link

i eat tostitos quite often (twice just this week already) because i had looked it up and they were considered a safe food. according to the website they still are? where did you see they are no longer safe?

jasonD2 Experienced

well they are not made on dedicated lines and some people feel ill after eating them...ive been eating them on the road recently and my gluten antibody was high on my retest so there may be a connection but cant say for sure

nasalady Contributor

My husband and I shop at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods a lot. TJ's is very good at marking their gluten free foods (including potato and corn chips) with a little "g" for gluten free. They literally have dozens if not hundreds of foods on their gluten free food list which you can download from their website. Whole Foods also has dedicated gluten free sections.

I don't know if you live close to a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods, but if so, that's my suggestion.

JoAnn

cooki.dough Rookie

I didn't see them mentioned yet, but Open Original Shared Link chips are amazing corn chips which come in a large variety of flavors and are certified gluten-free. My personal favorites are the olive or the jalepeno, but like I said, there are tons to choose from and they are very very tasty!

foodiegurl Collaborator

My absolute favorite chips are Xochitl corn chips. They say they are gluten-free right on the package and are made with non-GMO, organic corn. They are a bit pricey, but worth it to me. They sell them at Whole Foods as well as some mass grocery stores.

msmini14 Enthusiast

I love Rice Works, the Salsa Fresca is by far the best! My dh and I eat mission chips, havent had a problem and pretty good with some hummus.

• 3 weeks later...
nutrifoodie Apprentice
I love Rice Works, the Salsa Fresca is by far the best! My dh and I eat mission chips, havent had a problem and pretty good with some hummus.

I LOVE "food should taste good" chips... they are so yummy and don't have yucky ingredients!

Juliebove Rising Star
Check out UTZ QUALITY FOODS, Hanover, Pa. 17331 .... They clearly mark the chip bags, "This is a Gluten Free Food"... Great Chips....

I just got an order from their website. Single serve bags for back to school.

Juliebove Rising Star
I just got an order from their website. Single serve bags for back to school.

Oops! They made a boo boo. You can order 60 assorted or bags of your choice of items. I did my choice but it seems instead of 10 bags of honey BBQ chips, they sent crab. Apparently daughter doesn't like crab. She put them in a basket and she's giving them to her dad for his birthday. Hehehe.

• 2 weeks later...
CeliacJosie Newbie

Rice Works and Lundburg chips are amazing! 100% Gluten free. But if you're allergic to corn, (for anybody on here who is) don't eat them. But Cheecha Krackles are great if you can't eat corn!

• 6 years later...
cinnamoneel Newbie

i believe FSTG and kettle contains dairy.

do stax, mission and tostitos contain GM foods?

riceworks and lundberg contain sesame.

has anybody tried deep river or proper crisps or ten acre?
all 3 contain some allergens.
i believe ten acre contains soy.. becos they are GFDF.
i believe deep river contains dairy.

so, can anybody recommend brands of allergen-free chips/crisps?

kareng Grand Master
7 hours ago, cinnamoneel said:

i believe FSTG and kettle contains dairy.

do stax, mission and tostitos contain GM foods?

riceworks and lundberg contain sesame.

has anybody tried deep river or proper crisps or ten acre?
all 3 contain some allergens.
i believe ten acre contains soy.. becos they are GFDF.
i believe deep river contains dairy.

so, can anybody recommend brands of allergen-free chips/crisps?

I think it depends on what you are " allergic" to.  Maybe ask for chips without your allergens?  People can be allergic to anything.  

I would think plain chips would not have dairy, but maybe flavored one.  Just potato, oil and salt.

Archived