Curly8

Anyone In Cleveland/akron/canton?

Rate this topic

Hi, wondering if anyone was in Cleveland to chat and share restuarants and grocery ideas?

Kim

Stow, OH

Hi Kim

There is a group from that area. Mike Eberhart has a gluten-free blog & he is a cookbook author as well. He just moved from the Cleveland area.....

We go to this area about four times a year to shop.

I love the Raisin Rack in Canton or Columbus. Canton has more gluten-free...

mamaw

Hi, wondering if anyone was in Cleveland to chat and share restuarants and grocery ideas?

Kim

Stow, OH

Nope,but down the pike in Pittsburgh

Raisin Rack in Canton has a celiac support group that meets regularly. Just around the corner and down the street for me but I seldom make it there because I am usually too busy. Good people and shopping there though. Giant Eagle has a gluten-free section as does Acme... sort of.

Chuck

Oh, I just remembered, BAM Cuisine here in North Canton started a gluten-free menu this past year. I still haven't tried them out as I am quite happy on my paleo routine. My son keeps saying I should open a paleo restaurant.

CS

HI - I live in North Royalton and have been to a few meetings around.....there is the Northeast Ohio Celiac group ( www.geocities.com/clevelandceliac ) and also the Great Cleveland Celiac Association ( www.clevelandceliac.webs.com ).

I liked the Raisin Rack in Canton, but I LOVED the Raisin Rack in Westerville by Columbus. That store was the best I've ever seen. Huge gluten free area and brands I've never seen before. Definitely a place to take a field trip to.

Where do you live? I'd love to talk to people around here about the restaurants they go to. We always seem to have restaurant problems!

Does anyone have tried and true places they go to?

The Man-Chu Restaurant is wonderful & has a gluten-free menu. We had the best general Tso's chicken there....

Denise is the buyer at the Raisin Rack in Canton & also the group leader there. SHe is very knowledgeable on gluten-free ....

I used to like the Columbus store better but since they moved across the street I think Canton is way better....

Chuck, where are you in Pittsburgh? I'm the founder of an independent gluten-free ministry in BUtler. We do alot . We also have a mini co-op for gluten-free. I test market gluten-free new products as well. We have over 100 registered members of course all don't attend every month. We also have a beginners group where it is more one on one. How long have you been gluten-free? Do you know we will be having a gluten-free seminar in Oct 09? You can send me a private message if you want more info.

mamaw

Hi. I live in Canton and have found several safe restaurant to eat in. I've been to the meetings at the Raison Rack, but mornings are bad for me. I shop there all the time. There's also the Mustard Seed Market near Akron, but R Rack has the best seletion of gluten-free stuff. Several mainstream groceries also offer gluten-free stuff, and there are small ethnic places that do to (for cheap!). Let me know if you need specific info - I'll do what I can, but don't eat out often.

The Man-Chu Restaurant is wonderful & has a gluten-free menu. We had the best general Tso's chicken there....

Denise is the buyer at the Raisin Rack in Canton & also the group leader there. SHe is very knowledgeable on gluten-free ....

I used to like the Columbus store better but since they moved across the street I think Canton is way better....

Chuck, where are you in Pittsburgh? I'm the founder of an independent gluten-free ministry in BUtler. We do alot . We also have a mini co-op for gluten-free. I test market gluten-free new products as well. We have over 100 registered members of course all don't attend every month. We also have a beginners group where it is more one on one. How long have you been gluten-free? Do you know we will be having a gluten-free seminar in Oct 09? You can send me a private message if you want more info.

mamaw

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I am actually in North Canton, Ohio. I have been to Pittsburgh... and much to my dismay never made it to Primanti's before my diagnosis. That was the one place I wanted to go... Now, uh, I think I shall never set foot in the place as I am pretty sure finding gluten-free food there would be highly unlikely. Been gluten-free since November 2008 when we begin to suspect celiac and Diane at Raisin Rack recommended the GP I now go to. She was a blessing, indeed!

Chuck

Raisin Rack in Canton has a celiac support group that meets regularly. Just around the corner and down the street for me but I seldom make it there because I am usually too busy. Good people and shopping there though. Giant Eagle has a gluten-free section as does Acme... sort of.

Chuck

Oh, I just remembered, BAM Cuisine here in North Canton started a gluten-free menu this past year. I still haven't tried them out as I am quite happy on my paleo routine. My son keeps saying I should open a paleo restaurant.

CS

I just went to BAM for the first time last week. I loved it! I had a fantastic gluten-free pizza! It was the first one that I have enjoyed since being diagnosed. :D

Been a bit since you posted this, but since I just joined..... :lol: I'm in the Akron/Goodyear Heights area myself.

Have you tried the pizza place in Stow called Alterri's? Gluten free pizza (pretty tasty in fact), and gluten free baked pasta - as well as twice a week they do gluten-free fried chicken and jo-jo's. I don't eat out often since the diagnosis, but it was great to find an option or two for when I'm out and about.

As for groceries, there is an amazing Asian market in Cuyahoga Falls that has proved to be a lifesaver for gluten free foods. I get huge packs of tapioca starch, potato starch, rice noodles, etc worlds cheaper than at the health food stores! If anyone wants the address I'll look it up.

Kim

Stow, OH

• Upvote 1

I live in Lorain, Ohio. I go to the Heines grocery store in Avon, Ohio and they have a dietician that will take a person through the store and help with the gluten free items. They also stock the gluten free beers. You should have an appointment so she is not busy. She will take her time with you also.

I live in Akron. We get most of DH's gluten-free items at Mustard Seed Market in Fairlawn. There is also a Mustard Seed Market in Solon. As someone mentioned above, Giant Eagle has some gluten free foods, and there is a natural foods market called Seven Grains in Tallmadge (a small city bordering Akron on the north side). Raisin Rack is a 40-45 minute drive from us, so I haven't ever been there. There is a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's near Cleveland that I'm dying to hit, but it's too far for regular grocery shopping.

Mustard Seed has a cafe at the fairlawn location, and they have a nice gluten-free menu, which changes frequently. They promise to do their best in avoiding cross contamination, but can't guarantee 100%. We have also found good gluten-free options at PF Chang, apparently Cracker Barrel has a gluten-free menu, and have managed to find workable options at our favorite mexican place (a small local dive). Quaker Steak and Lube has a gluten free menu, but you really have to keep on them if you go. They've screwed up DH's meals three of 5 of our last visits (croutons on salad, pita with the boneless wings, etc.).

Since DH isn't much for eating out, he usually only worries about it when we have family outings (my family does almost all holidays out now). His family is slowly coming around to how to deal with the gluten free eating.

Kim

Stow, OH

Hey Kim I live right next door to you in Munroe Falls, I grew up in Stow. I was just diagnosed with celiac in Nov. 2009 so I'm very new to this.

Kim

Hey Kim I live right next door to you in Munroe Falls, I grew up in Stow. I was just diagnosed with celiac in Nov. 2009 so I'm very new to this.

Kim

Hi Kim,

I live in Cuyahoga Falls, not sure if you have a sweet tooth and like bakery or not but have you tried mrs. P's gluten free bakery? Her treats are amazing, and she's in Stow too. I get all my cookies from her. Check out her website the treats are great :). Www.mrspsglutenfreebakery.com

Enjoy!

Stephanie