jkr

Biopsy Results

Rate this topic

I got my results today from my biopsy and they were positive - I do have celiac. I posted before that I had an endoscopy last year for iron deficiency anemia and the GI didn't do a biopsy. I should have been more insistent last year but anyway I'm glad it's over. I'm one of those who wanted the offical diagnosis even though my blood tests were very abnormal. I forgot to ask him for a copy of the report but he said my intestines were very atrophied.

I wonder how long it will take me for my intestines to heal. He said I don't need any more endoscopies. I guess future blood tests will show how they are healing.

I got my results today from my biopsy and they were positive - I do have celiac. I posted before that I had an endoscopy last year for iron deficiency anemia and the GI didn't do a biopsy. I should have been more insistent last year but anyway I'm glad it's over. I'm one of those who wanted the offical diagnosis even though my blood tests were very abnormal. I forgot to ask him for a copy of the report but he said my intestines were very atrophied.

I wonder how long it will take me for my intestines to heal. He said I don't need any more endoscopies. I guess future blood tests will show how they are healing.

Although none of us wish celiac disease on anyone, it's wonderful to know for certain! I'm glad you know.

As to healing, most people seem to say that by 18 months to 2 years on the gluten free diet they felt 100% healed. Some with minor damage heal much faster, of course. I don't really know how fast the villi re-generate in general, but imagine that it does vary with the level of damage done.

Please be aware that many of us have had to cut other foods out of our diets (besides gluten foods), such as dairy, soy, corn, grains in general, etc., at least temporarily. Dairy is frequently a problem if the villi are very damaged, because the villi produce the enzymes needed to properly digest dairy products.

Good luck to you!

JoAnn

Although none of us wish celiac disease on anyone, it's wonderful to know for certain! I'm glad you know.

As to healing, most people seem to say that by 18 months to 2 years on the gluten free diet they felt 100% healed. Some with minor damage heal much faster, of course. I don't really know how fast the villi re-generate in general, but imagine that it does vary with the level of damage done.

Please be aware that many of us have had to cut other foods out of our diets (besides gluten foods), such as dairy, soy, corn, grains in general, etc., at least temporarily. Dairy is frequently a problem if the villi are very damaged, because the villi produce the enzymes needed to properly digest dairy products.

Good luck to you!

JoAnn

Thank you!