This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chex Mix

desschneider

desschneider Newbie

If anyone could please help, I am new to this. My daughter has celiac disease and we are looking for a chex mix like recipe. I noticed on the corn and rice chex it said malt and that is bad right? Does any one know of any subsitutes for those cereals. Thanks!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Malt CAN be made from something other than barley but it almost never is. Rice and Corn Chex cereals are not gluten-free.

You can sub Rice Crunch 'Ems and Corn Crunch 'Ems. I find them at our natural foods store and at some Krogers. Of course there's no real substitute for the Wheat Chex.

If you need a recipe I'd bet you can find one easily by searching the Web.

richard

gf4life Enthusiast

The Original Chex Party Mix recipe (from a box of Chex cereal) altered to make it gluten-free:

2 TBSP Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce (it's gluten-free)

6 TBSP butter

1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt (Lawry's is supposed to be gluten-free)

3/4 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

4 1/2 cups Health Valley Corn Crunch'Ems cereal

4 1/2 cups Health Valley Rice Crunch'Ems cereal

1 cup mixed nuts

1 cup gluten-free pretzels

1 cup small gluten-free garlic flavored rice crackers or other gluten-free cracker (to replace the bagel chips)

Heat the oven to 250 degrees. melt butter in a large roasting pan in the oven. Stir in the seasonings. Gradually stir in the remaining ingredients until evenly coated. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container. Makes 12 cups of snack.

minibabe Contributor

that sounds so good, I used to eat chex mix all the time, but now well you know its not gluten-free. I will have to make this and bring it for a snack. Thanks !!!

Guest nini

thank you SOOOOO much for the recipe for Chex mix! I am sitting here eating a bowl of it as I type!!!! OMG it's so yummy! I thought I would never be able to eat a chex mix again! (I had to trek across town to go to Whole Foods to find the Health Vally Rice and Corn Crunch Em's though!)

gf4life Enthusiast
I had to trek across town to go to Whole Foods to find the Health Vally Rice and Corn Crunch Em's though!

I'm sure it was worth the trip!

God bless,

Mariann

Guest nini

Oh yes, it was SOOOOOO worth the trip across town!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived