JBaby

Need Food Fast

Rate this topic

Did bloodwork,got results 2 days ago, low positive results but diet the first time around worked. Going on vacation 15-22nd and need items I can heat up in microwave if i get hungry which is like every hour on this diet. Going to be at the beach so most things will be fast food gluten or seafood, neither of which I can eat. There wont be a refrigerator, but a microwave will be there. I have yet to see anything microwaveable other than rice. PLease send ideas. Thanks

JBaby

You can get cooked chicken that comes in a pouch or can. Be sure to read all ingredients. Not all are gluten free. My daughter likes this mixed with a pouch of microwavable rice, either plain or chicken flavored.

Canned vegetables are your friend! We get the single serve ones with the pop top and eat them right from the can. We really love green beans.

You can also get kidney, black or refried beans and eat them on corn tortillas or with corn chips. Again, be sure that what you are buying is gluten free. You can get small cans/jars of bean or cheese dip for your chips. Some of these things are going to be more than a serving so you'd have to eat them within a couple of hours, share with a friend or throw out the leftovers.

Hormel chili, tamales and beef stew are all gluten free. To me, the tamales don't taste like real tamales, but we like to eat them mixed with black olives and strips of green peppers and white onion. Just heat through. Buy small vegetables so there won't be any waste. Shelton's chicken and wild rice soup is gluten-free.

Other shelf stable things would be small cans of fruit, individual containers applesauce, some brands of beef jerky, pepperoni (can get from minimus.biz, but probably not in time for your trip) and some kinds of cereals. Mainstream cereals would be some of the Chex (look for gluten-free on the box), Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles.

There are many fresh fruits and vegetables that will keep at least for a few days without refrigeration. These would be peppers, onions, whole carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, apples, oranges, pears and bananas. There may be a few others I'm not thinking of. You can use a fork or a knife to poke a few holes in a baking potato, nuke it until tender, then split up and serve with canned chili.

In the future, you might want to stock up on some shelf stable meals that are gluten-free. Here are some. Not all are gluten-free, but some are.

http://www.myownmeals.com/

Fresh fruits and veggies that will keep (apples, oranges, bananas, under-ripe peaches, mangos, tomatoes, zucchini, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, beets, etc. are all ones I saw at the store today), canned/packed tuna/chicken, canned soups/chili/beans, canned fruits and veggies, hot cereal (cream of rice, quinoa flakes, etc.), nuts/dried fruit...

i have had luck baking a loaf of banana bread with pamela's mix. i took it with me to San antonio when my fiance graduated AF basic training. it stayed fresh all five days i was there in an airtight container and a cooler. i would bake a loaf the day before you leave and you'll have at least one bread product for the first couple days. you can pack crackers to take with you, some of my favorites are glutino and schar and nutthins. i like them with cheese and lunch meat but you probably cant do that very easily without a fridge. there are little individual sized apple sauce and fruit cup containers. i prefer fresh fruit though. also dried fruit like craisins would travel very well along with mixed nuts and granola.