This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chex Honey Nut gluten-free

Liddle4

Liddle4 Contributor

My 7 year old has been gluten-free for about 4 weeks now. It just hit me he has trouble at breakfast with his stomach hurting and he is eating the gluten-free Honey Nut Chex, is anyone else having a problem with this cereal?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

There is another thread about Honey Nut Chex started today or yesterday, and yes, other's are having problems. You should probably stop letting him eat them.

hannahp57 Contributor

i got sick from them... not quite gluten sick but i cant even look at them now. rice chex treat me just fine though... i have no idea why. kinda disappointed

• 2 weeks later...
DanAbimytwomiracles Newbie

Yes! I actually just called General Mills about this very issue. They are supposed to get back to me, but we will not be eating any Chex for a while just to be safe.

PLEASE call GM, they need to hear from more people in order to take this seriously.

chiroptera Apprentice

My daughters and I (who are gluten-free) have gotten sick from all of the gluten-free Chex cereals except the rice chex. I did send them an email and they asked that I call their customer service department to discuss but I have not done that yet; I will though.

We were very disappointed because they are often much less expensive than the other gluten-free cereals. Now we make sure to look for the Environ Kids cerealss on sale; we love those.

When I say sick, I mean those lovely gastro symptoms that haunt you long after you've eaten. :huh:

tpineo Rookie

Per General Mills, all the chex labeled gluten-free (including the honey nut chex) are made in separate facilities to make sure there is no cross contamination. Are you sure you have a new box of chex that says "gluten-free" on it? The old boxes are still on the shelves some places. Also, it could be the milk on the cereal that is causing the problem. Often at the beginning of the gluten-free diet people are lactose intolerant until they heal. Hope you figure it out- we all know it is hard when your kid is hurting and you can't figure out the cause. Tania

GFM Apprentice
Per General Mills, all the chex labeled gluten-free (including the honey nut chex) are made in separate facilities to make sure there is no cross contamination. Are you sure you have a new box of chex that says "gluten-free" on it? The old boxes are still on the shelves some places. Also, it could be the milk on the cereal that is causing the problem. Often at the beginning of the gluten-free diet people are lactose intolerant until they heal. Hope you figure it out- we all know it is hard when your kid is hurting and you can't figure out the cause. Tania

Just wanted to say that I got a different response by e-mail from General Mills on 7/17/09 when asking about cc. Here it is.

"General Mills offers several products that are labeled gluten-free. Please check the package label for the gluten-free statement on the front/side/back of the package. Only products that can be verified to be gluten free will be declared as gluten free on the label. It is important to check the product label each time you purchase a product because it has the most accurate information about the product in the package.

The General Mills Chex cereals are not produced in a dedicated facility, but do undergo additional evaluation. Any General Mills product that makes a gluten-free claim has stringent programs and precautions in place to assure the product meets gluten-free requirements as proposed by the FDA. We manage production of our products carefully, including thorough sanitation and cleanout procedures, and batch testing. Analysis has been done to assure that there is no detectable gluten in the product, including evaluation for cross contact issues."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Same here....we had been eating the Rice Chex and the other varieties for a few months. Over time, I began getting GI symptoms, and my dd was very irritable, tired, all her classic gluten symptoms.

Now that we quit eating chex all together, we are back to normal. I was really dissapointed, b/c we were so excited to be able to eat regular cereal again that didn't cost so much. About the FDA standards for gluten free, there really aren't any yet, isn't that right? I know the 20ppm is recommended, but is there really anyone verifying the compliance of companies? I remember a few months ago there was one company that had gluten free chicken nuggets that had up to 2000 ppm of gluten in them, yet stores were still stocking them.

Reminds me of the peanut butter recall in the past...companies were self regulated in regards to batch testing for salmonella, and knowingly sent out tainted products. It's not the same thing really, but after reading in detail about that debacle, I realized that there is alot of work to be done to step up requirements for food safety. We try to eat as little processed food as possible, and stick with companies that use dedicated facilities, to play it safe.

LDJofDenver Apprentice

I've been eating the regular gluten-free Rice Chex for quite a while and have no problems with it.

However, I got all excited when they came out with some new ones (gluten-free) and bought the cinnamon one. I tell you, every time I would eat it I wouldn't feel very well. Took me a few times to pinpoint it to the "new" cereal. Once I quit eating it and switched back to regular Rice Chex, it didn't happen anymore. I threw away almost a whole box of the cinnamon chex!

Sigh. We try so hard.

Archived