Rate this topic

I have been gluten free mostly eating fresh meat, salads, veggies, fruits, almonds and sunflower seeds, brown rice and just water to drink and I seem to be more constipated than before I started gluten free. I do very limited dairy, yogurt and minimal cheddar and swiss cheese maybe twice a week. Have not had a bowel movement in about 4 days now.

Has anyone else had this problem? Please let me know your experiences and what helped.

Thanks

I have always been a meat eater, but became much more of one once all my food intolerances kicked in. It was the few safe things for me. I found that sudden shift into more protein made me constipated also. Make sure you get plenty of veggies and fruit and try not to o.d. on the meats. Also, if you are suddenly getting alot more iron in your system, that will do it also till your body gets accustomed. I had to start taking iron supplements and that did it for a bit. Give any kind of solution a couple of weeks to see if things turn around for you.

Getting the proper amount of magnesium should open things up. Work your way up to about 600 mg a day.

I have always been a meat eater, but became much more of one once all my food intolerances kicked in. It was the few safe things for me. I found that sudden shift into more protein made me constipated also. Make sure you get plenty of veggies and fruit and try not to o.d. on the meats. Also, if you are suddenly getting alot more iron in your system, that will do it also till your body gets accustomed. I had to start taking iron supplements and that did it for a bit. Give any kind of solution a couple of weeks to see if things turn around for you.

I have only been eating meat at dinner and just a small piece of boneless chicken breast on turkey chop. Maybe this is still too much?

Flax is a natural laxative, and I find that eating Perky's Nutty Flax Cereal every other day keeps me normal. There's always the old standby....stewed prunes. I alternate between diarrhea and constipation, depending on what I have been eating lately.....be careful not to "overdose" on the flax or prunes, otherwise you'll be looking for a remedy for diarrhea. Lately I've been eating 3 dried apricots a day, and that has worked even better for me. If you're taking any kind of vitamins or meds, perhaps you might try a stool softner. Walmart sells the least expensive brand.

I have been gluten free mostly eating fresh meat, salads, veggies, fruits, almonds and sunflower seeds, brown rice and just water to drink and I seem to be more constipated than before I started gluten free. I do very limited dairy, yogurt and minimal cheddar and swiss cheese maybe twice a week. Have not had a bowel movement in about 4 days now.

Has anyone else had this problem? Please let me know your experiences and what helped.

Thanks

Every now and then I take a small swig of M.O.M. (cherry flavor. Mint to me is awful), but only if I've been having problems for three days or more. My regular routine: Two fiber pills in a.m. and 2 in p.m. Raisins in my cereal. I find my two biggest no-no's are cheese and rice. Even rice products stop things for me. Lots of water. Lots of dried fruit - apricots and prunes and raisins are the best. You'll find out what's best for you through trial and error.