This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mac And Cheese

Liddle4

Liddle4 Contributor

I made my son (7 newly diagnosed) mac and cheese. He loves it but want to make sure all ingriedents are gluten free:

1/2 pkg gluten-free noodles

1/2 stick butter

small velvetta cheese block

milk

Today I may add some shredded Zuchinni to hide in some green vegetable.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

If I recall correctly, Velveeta is gluten-free, but since it is a Kraft product, any gluten will be clearly disclosed in the ingredients. Milk and butter are inherently gluten-free.

hannahp57 Contributor

Those ingredients should all be safe. i think you're good!

i made mac and cheese yesterday... i decided to brown hamburger and add that to make a hambuerger heper type meal (only healthier and gluten free!). it turned out okay but the sauce that i thought was going to be too cheesy seemed to disappear once the meat was stirred in. the dish had very little taste. i need to 1.) season the meat next time-i spaced this time haha and 2.) figure out if the sauce should be increased or made in a different way than for regular mac and cheese when meat is added.

any thoughts, ideas, hints from anyone would be great!

nasalady Contributor
Those ingredients should all be safe. i think you're good!

i made mac and cheese yesterday... i decided to brown hamburger and add that to make a hambuerger heper type meal (only healthier and gluten free!). it turned out okay but the sauce that i thought was going to be too cheesy seemed to disappear once the meat was stirred in. the dish had very little taste. i need to 1.) season the meat next time-i spaced this time haha and 2.) figure out if the sauce should be increased or made in a different way than for regular mac and cheese when meat is added.

any thoughts, ideas, hints from anyone would be great!

Here is a really decadent comfort-food type recipe from my Gluten Free Recipe Archive blogsite. It's my take on a macaroni and cheese casserole with meat and a veggie added (in this example I have chicken and broccoli, but I also do tuna or salmon and green peas, or hamburger and broccoli, or whatever). The possible variations are endless....you can use different cheeses, etc., according to what you and your family like.

5-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese Casserole with Chicken and Broccoli

Ingredients:

2 C cooked chicken, cut into 1 inch cubes

2 C steamed broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces

3 T butter

3-4 T sweet rice flour

2 C heavy cream or half-and-half

2 C chicken broth

2 tsp salt, plus more for water

1/4 tsp ground dry mustard

1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

3 T onion flakes

1/2 tsp garlic powder

2 C grated sharp white cheddar cheese

1 C grated medium cheddar

1 C grated monterey jack

1 C grated Jarlsberg

1/2 C grated Parmesan

1 pound gluten free elbow macaroni (or whatever gluten free pasta you prefer)

NOTE: cheese amounts are approximate....you can use more or less cheese according to taste and just how decadent you want this dish to be! I tend to use more.... :)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350

hannahp57 Contributor

thanks! looks like meats absorb the sauce so you have to make more of it. that sounds really good (and a good way to sneak veggies in on my hubby- :P )

• 2 months later...
AJSmom Rookie
I made my son (7 newly diagnosed) mac and cheese. He loves it but want to make sure all ingriedents are gluten free:

1/2 pkg gluten-free noodles

1/2 stick butter

small velvetta cheese block

milk

Today I may add some shredded Zuchinni to hide in some green vegetable.

Yummy! Sounds good. I will try this with my 3 1/2 year old. Mac and cheese is something he's really missing.

I also like the ideas of "hiding" veggies...he does not likes any veggies.

GottaSki Mentor

Steamed cauliflower is another add-in to mac-n-cheese...in fact it is the only cauliflower my kids eat regularly.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rothane Newbie
Steamed cauliflower is another add-in to mac-n-cheese...in fact it is the only cauliflower my kids eat regularly.

That's the cornerstone of this recipe. It's easy to convert to gluten-free -- just use gluten-free elbows and breadcrumbs (which are optional anyway). Best mac n' cheese recipe I know.

Open Original Shared Link

Wolicki Enthusiast

I add a box of defrosted frozen butternut squash to macnchz. Kids love it, and the orange blends right in to the cheese, so they never know!

Rothane Newbie
I add a box of defrosted frozen butternut squash to macnchz. Kids love it, and the orange blends right in to the cheese, so they never know!

Ooh, I love butternut squash. I might try subbing that for the cauliflower next time.

• 3 weeks later...
rbeccatexas Rookie

If you're in a time crunch Amy's makes an awesome frozen gluten free rice mac and cheese.

AJSmom Rookie

I've made this twice and he loves it!!! Thank you for adding to my list of food he'll eat.

I also found some duck pasta that is very cute...it make this so fun.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I make this recipe, super easy and my kids love it--

Cook 8oz pkg noodles

Drain noodles, in pot add:

1 can evaporated milk

16oz pkg shredded cheddar cheese

2 cups of shredded (squeeze out all the water) zucchini or 1pkg (thawed) pureed squash, or 2c pureed cauliflower

stir till cheese is melted, add noodles, lightly toss to cover noodles with sauce

bake 350 till top is gold brown--or in my dd's case, almost burnt ;)

If you have a vita-mix blender, you can make the cheese sauce in that while the noodles are cooking. Process on high for a few minutes until the cheese is melted, then add to the drained noodles

Archived