This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Anxiety.. Nutrition?

Blondie

Blondie Apprentice

I would like to know if someone is aware of other factors that can cause anxiety-symptoms or worsen anxiety-symptoms

OTHER THAN:

Vitamin B12-deficiency

Food intolerances

Cross Contamination

And also, things that can help with the anxiety, thanks in advance

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ranger Enthusiast

I don't know anything better than exercise to battle anxiety. Don't care for drugs, and studies have shown that exercise is as beneficial as drugs when it comes to anxiety and depession.

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
I would like to know if someone is aware of other factors that can cause anxiety-symptoms or worsen anxiety-symptoms

OTHER THAN:

Vitamin B12-deficiency

Food intolerances

Cross Contamination

Blood sugar is a big one. Here's an answer from the Mayo Clinic on diet and anxiety generally, not just for celiacs, but it may help: Open Original Shared Link

Folate deficiency is a possibility: Open Original Shared Link Vitamin D, calcium and magnesium deficiencies are also common in celiacs. I'm pretty sure that the latter two also lead to anxiety, but can't find links.

Many celiacs also have thyroid problems; these lead to anxiety as well.

Hope this helps.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

OTHER THAN:

Vitamin B12-deficiency

Food intolerances

Cross Contamination

Being under mental stress, a new change of any kind bad or good can bring about anxiety or worsen the condition. If you are looking for a natural remedy valerian , kava kava and cat nip are good at relaxing. Kava Kava has had some bad press but following directions and taken as needed shouldn't cause any concerns. Also, celestial seasonings tension tamer tea is very good. Steep it at least ten minutes though to release the herbs at more of medicinal quality. I find it helps a lot. My son who is obsessive compulsive used to have a ton of anxiety when he was younger and the tea helped calm him.

hangininthere Apprentice

Everyday toxin overload can cause anxiety too, if you have a sluggish system like I do.

I've got my anxiety under control the past few years, finally. Here's what helps me.

I only take these a few days at a time as needed, then off them a few days or weeks at a time.

I get my supplements at GNC, except for three at Walgreen's drugstore, and the cinnamon off my spice rack.

Magnesium, high dose 1,000 mg.

Black Cohosh

GABA

St. John's Wort

Cinnamon

Liquid sublingual mega B-Complex

And to detox:

Charcoal

Chicory Root

Liquid Chlorophyll

And if you're a shallow breather or breath-holder like me, just remembering to breath helps a lot too (I always forget to remember though).

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

Don't forget sunlight! It has been show to help prevent tons of diseases including depression. And I know it makes me feel more relaxed, so it should help with anxiety too.

Exercise is also big.

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
Magnesium, high dose 1,000 mg.

Too much magnesium isn't good either:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mrs.Doyle Newbie

Niacin has been of huge help for me. I started with 500mg, once a day and slowly worked up to 4 times a day. The first few times I took it, I had a "niacin flush" which is normal. It feels like a slight sunburn with an itch and it was strangely soothing, lasted about 45 minutes-an hour.

You can try googling orthomolecular medicine and anxiety together and you might find some other clues to your question.

Hay fever type allergies seem to impact my anxiety, as do petroleum based scents & pollutants. My husband's old aftershave would push me over the edge and I started every day an anxious mess until I figured that out and made him aftershave. Household cleaners and other chemicals you are exposed to might be effecting things. If you spend a lot of time in traffic (well, that alone can do it) but the exhaust fumes might be contributing.

Another thought, is that I often get so caught up in the need to "fix" myself that I perpetuate the anxiety and make it worse. There are certain magazines that I can't read for that blessed female week each month because the writing and advertising really hits my brain with the "you are broken, buy our product to fix yourself" message and I crumble into a neurotic mess. TV can effect me the same way, which is why I ditched it and watch my shows on Hulu now. The media all around us can do a number on our brains in terms of defining for ourselves what it means to be an acceptable person, "right" enough to belong to the community at large.

Are you sure it is anxiety and not frustration? I personally get the two confused often and when I realize I am frustrated and not anxious, it seems to change my experience and I can deal with the frustration. I'm not meaning to question how you are feeling, just something to ponder.

Can I ask what you are anxious about? Interacting with other people? Trusting that your food is gluten free? An upcoming change? About everything generally?

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Not to over-simplify, but: caffeine!

I cut out my daily coffee as the caffeine-crash was causing huge fatigue. The other day I had one cup of coffee and a few hours later had my first anxiety attack since going gluten-free.

Exercise and sunlight help keep me feeling good and I've learned to lay off the coffee... at least for now ;)

OTHER THAN:

Vitamin B12-deficiency

Food intolerances

Cross Contamination

Archived