This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peanut Butter Not Agreeing..and A Dumb Gi Guy

runningcrazy

runningcrazy Contributor

Ive posted like 3 or something other questions so Im not going to type my whole history again, I think theres a place where you can read my other posts IF you want.

My question is, first before I get into it Im 13 year old girl, Ive been vegetarian for almost 7 years now and Im not changing that. Ive had problems for probably forever, when I was nine especially I remember stomach issues. Mainly constipation. But the reason we went after a diagnosis is because theyve been getting worse and worse.

My dumb gastroenteroligst we saw a couple weeks ago for the first time just said rude remarks to us and made us sound stupid. He said I just need to take beano because I probably eat a lot fo beans and thats why Im bloated. He kept saying stuff like doubting celiac, and he kept calling the blood test he was giving me(which was negative) the test for wheat allergy.1) Celiac is not a wheat allergy, right?

2)We ordered the full gene and stool panel from enterolab, (or whichever one costs 369dollars) which also had a free casein testing 4 days ago. We decided if its positive for antibodies that i should get a jumpstart so i went gluten free/ casein free 4 days ago, atleast until my results come. So far I havent had one headache(which i was having everyday) my bloating went down a lot and i felt better. I also wasnt burping up food which i was getting after every meal. Today i had peanut butter(adams natural) and immediatly had bloated stomach, burping up, crampy(slightly) and ive had a weird dullish stomach ache since i ate it(1 tbsp, 3 hours ago, still hurts). So my question is, all of my symptoms that went away with gluten free, besides the headache came back with the peanut butter. I also havent been eating peanut butter since i went gluten-free/CF. Could my problems be from peanut butter and not gluten at all? I guess not having the headaches is convincing toward gluten because besides gluten/casein and i guess peanut butter, nothing else has been cut out.

I doubt its cross contamination, we have been careful, i have my own cutting board, foods, i know to look for hidden things like soy sauce, barley malt, etc. The peanut butter has not been cc because the natural stuff gets so hard we use a spoon and scoop it in a bowl and heat it up, then spread it on bread, or whatever(I put it on a carrot)

So if it really is peanuts, would that be it. Gluten not even an issue? Could i just use sunflower seed or almond butter. Or would I need to avoid nuts. Or just avoid legumes becauise thats what a peanut is. Sorry, im confused. I LOVE peanut butter and generally eat it every day, not sure why i havent been eating it since gluten-free/cf.

And also, how long did it take you to get your enterolab results if you were tested, i know it says 3 weeks, but im hoping its sooner. Thanks! Sorry for the length!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shendler Rookie

1) Celiac is not a wheat allergy, however, you can have a wheat allergy. Celiac is an autoimmune disease.

2)In addition to having celiac you may also have other food problems. Do you generally have problems with peanuts or other nuts? Is there something else in the peanut butter you can be reacting to? What did you eat the peanut butter with? I suggest going on a food elimination diet once you find out the results of your tests so you can figure out what other foods can be causing you problems.

runningcrazy Contributor

I ate the peanut butter with a garden grown carrot because i love peanut butter and carrots. The ingredients are peanuts and salt, i dont think im reacting to salt, and ive never had a problem with carrots.

I have had issues with headaches, we thought the peanut butter was giving me headaches. My headaches were always from peanut butter on toast or a sandwich, i didnt get a headache with the carrot, just stomach problems.

I havent had a headache since gluten-free/CF

Thanks for the response:)

And also, isnt a wheat allergy more like hives, rashes, breathing troubles? I dont really know so sorry for being clueless <_<

shendler Rookie

When you have a food allergy you can get those symptoms when consuming the food, but it doesn't have to be that severe. I'm allergic to beef and when I eat it I only develop a headache. Maybe you should see an allergist to see if you are allergic to peanuts. Also this link may help you understand more Open Original Shared Link.

I would continue eating gluten free and see how you feel. Along the way you may find that there are other foods you can not tolerate and quite a number of people with celiac are that way. I suggest a food diary so you can keep track of those reactions.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

runningcrazy Contributor
When you have a food allergy you can get those symptoms when consuming the food, but it doesn't have to be that severe. I'm allergic to beef and when I eat it I only develop a headache. Maybe you should see an allergist to see if you are allergic to peanuts. Also this link may helpyou understand more Open Original Shared Link.

I would continue eating gluten free and see how you feel. Along the way you may find that there are other foods you can not tolerate and quite a number of people with celiac are that way. I suggest a food diary so you can keep track of those reactions.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

I do have one more question.

If say I was having issues with peanuts, do you think gluten could be eaten again, and the peanuts were secretly copying celiac symptoms? I know I should just wait to see if my enterolab come back positive or not but I am just impatient. Anyone who ordered enteroab before, how long did it take for results? I know it's 3 weeks according tothem, but did anyone get them sooner?

ohsotired Enthusiast

Peanut butter gives me stomach aches, even if I only eat a tiny bit. I'm ok with a handful of peanuts though.

But I also have serious problems with gluten.

So it's possible it's both.

Hope you find your answers soon!

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast

If say I was having issues with peanuts, do you think gluten could be eaten again, and the peanuts were secretly copying celiac symptoms? I know I should just wait to see if my enterolab come back positive or not but I am just impatient. Anyone who ordered enteroab before, how long did it take for results? I know it's 3 weeks according tothem, but did anyone get them sooner?

Some thoughts:

You could reintroduce gluten and lay off the peanut butter and see if you get bloated again. That might be an indication that you have a problem with both. (Or if you don't get bloated, it might indicate that it's just the peanut butter.)

You could try the peanut butter on celery, just on the off chance that there's some weird interaction between the peanut butter and carrot in your stomach.

You might well have difficulty digesting fats (as a lot of celiacs do). You might visit a grocery store or raid the pantry and look at nutritional information panels on products to try to find something with as much fat as peanut butter. In my house, the only thing that compares is pistachios; even boiled peanuts have nowhere near as much. Maybe the almond butter you mentioned would be similar. Anyway, try another high-fat food and see if you also feel bloated.

Otherwise, I echo the earlier replies that a: your gastroenterologist is an idiot and b: seeing an allergist (preferably a non-idiotic one) might be a good idea. You can search this site's Doctors forum with your hometown and hopefully find better doctors.

Good luck to you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

runningcrazy Contributor

Thanks everyone, these are all really helpful!

I guess I'll wait and see what my results are from enterolab,in the mean time steer clear ofgluten and peanuts.

We already decided we would not go back to my GI because we did basically EVERYTHING opposite of what he said and we were finally seeing improvement.

How long, if you tested through them,to get your results from enterolab?

jerseyangel Proficient

Could be a legume intolerance that made itself known after you cut out the gluten. Sometimes, other food intolerances will become apparent shortly after going gluten-free like soy, dairy, corn, legumes, etc.

I'm terribly sensitive to legumes--your symptoms sound more like a sensitivity than an allergy to me.

hannahp57 Contributor

i have had issues with peanut butter as well. i think for me it is the high fat content because peanuts are fine. if i eat too much (sometimes i think its just a bad day) i am in serious pain. i feel bloated, gassy and feel burning searing pains in my stomach like theres acid in there. its awful. i can tell a difference between those symptoms and glutening symptoms though... gluten is absolutely the most painful thing ive endured yet

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

did enterolab last month and it took 17 days. I already had a diagnoses but was interested in casein and genes. I have problems with peanuts, beans, and soy. A food diary will help tremendously in discovering other intolerances that you may have. Good luck!

Archived