glutengal

Constipation Still...

Rate this topic

I am still having problems with constipation and have tried the suggestions given to me for the last 2 days (ground flaxseed 2 tbsp. , magnesium 600mg, lots and lots of water and very little meat. I eat fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds, very little dairy. I did not have constipation before the gluten free diet and for 4 days had no bm and the last 2 days only a couple of very small floaters that are medium brown. I am not sure what is going on. Has this happened to anyone else?

Why would going gluten free suddenly cause constipation? I really don't even feel the need to have a bm at all which is weird. No straining either. Does it just take more time for the flaxseed and magnesium to work? Any suggestions on what else to try?

Sorry so many questions. I just need some good advice.

I learned after getting all my food triggers out of my system that "going" every day certainly isn't a normal thing....that many people normally only go every few days. That was not the case for me before, but I've learned that THAT was caused by all the stuff in my system that wasn't good for me. I don't go every single day any longer. You, admittedly, said you don't feel the need or bloat or pain. And any supplemental changes I've made has taken a good two weeks to start kicking in. Just a few days may not be enough time. I would guess that if you aren't feeling badly, or the need, then perhaps you are worrying needlessly.

Depending on which fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds you're eating, that might be considerably less fiber than you were getting before. Maybe think about amping up the rice and beans. I had accidentally put myself on a low-fiber diet, great for people with diverticulitis, not so good for anybody else (including me). I have a feeling that a lot of celiacs do this. I'm doing a lot better eating tons of vegetables.

Good luck! Hope you find your answer soon.

I am still having problems with constipation and have tried the suggestions given to me for the last 2 days (ground flaxseed 2 tbsp. , magnesium 600mg, lots and lots of water and very little meat. I eat fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds, very little dairy. I did not have constipation before the gluten free diet and for 4 days had no bm and the last 2 days only a couple of very small floaters that are medium brown. I am not sure what is going on. Has this happened to anyone else?

Why would going gluten free suddenly cause constipation? I really don't even feel the need to have a bm at all which is weird. No straining either. Does it just take more time for the flaxseed and magnesium to work? Any suggestions on what else to try?

Sorry so many questions. I just need some good advice.

Most gluten free flours and replacements are much lower in fiber than whole wheat things or even wheat things you were probably using previously. Theres not much way around this, i fing taking one teaspoon of psyllium husk before bed to be helpful. Ease into it first, starting with about 1/2 teaspoon in water for a few days, then bump it up to one full teaspoon as you adjust. Good luck:)

You also may want to consider some magnesium. Magnesium and a little less calcium work great. If you want a quick fix, magnesium citrate or other magnesium drinks, although not pleasant tasting, will do the trick. Thats at last resort, a magnesium supplement would be gentle though.