This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brain Fog Help Please...!

wschmucks

wschmucks Contributor

Hi everyone, I'll try to keep this as compact as possible. I have Celiac and have been gluten-free for 10 months and on the SCD for 6, I have not gotten gluttened in about 4 months (lentils manufactured in wheat plant). I also started thryoid medication for a very mild case of hypothyroid which after about 2 months seems to have cleared my SEVERE constipation which was my primary symptom of Celiac. SO I thought the thyroid medication would clear the constant brain fog, but my thyroid seems to be balanced well and the brain fog is here on a bad level. Hard to do anything, cant concentrate, cant do anything-- total zombie. I have been to several Drs and no one knows whats wrong. I work out at least 5 times a week and eat very healthy. My test results for vitamins weren't too bad some deficencies here and there namely: folic acid (which i am now supplementing), and zinc but thats it. SO....I can do the whole sublingual B12 thing even though ive never been deficent in B12....but are there ANY other ideas or thoughts I have just missed 2 years of my life and need to rejoin the general population on this planet (or get hit by a car--JK).

Thanks for your help. - Whitney

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jststric Contributor

I know when I was taking a full load of supplements, fish oil seemed to help my brain fog quite a bit. Are you getting enough of the essential Omega 3's or whatever it is they always say we need? I've also heard that Vit. D helps with that some. If you pic is a current one, you seem much too young to be entering into any kind of peri-menopausal symptoms, which WOULD include major brain fogs. BUT, you could be one of the lucky ones that go thru all that in their 30's instead of 40's???? Have you had those type of blood tests done? Just trying to brainstorm a bit and that's about all I have. One more thought.....could be be affected by some other type of food? Are you eating alot of any one thing? You could try eliminating some of those one by one just to see. I wouldn't wish more food intolerances on anyone. But best wishes to you in finding out soon!!

wschmucks Contributor

Funny you mention the Premenipause...cause I havent had my period in 2 years. I'm 25 and the Dr treating me for the Thyroid tested my sex hormones and all of them were low: estrogen, testosterone, progestrone etc. so I am using a progestrone cream and estrogen cream for about the last 2 months. It hasnt really seemed to help though, so I'm not sure-- but i definetly have low hormones. I have done just about every food test in the world and I really dont think its linked to a food. I spent tons of money on food sensetivity tests all of which never helped anything and was a waste. If i havent had my period for that long is it possible that I'm premenopausal?? I did get three opinons on the test results one Dr (who was awful) said they were normal (even though the bold letters said out of range), and another said I could treat it or not treat it depending on how it made me feel.

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
Funny you mention the Premenipause...cause I havent had my period in 2 years. I'm 25 and the Dr treating me for the Thyroid tested my sex hormones and all of them were low: estrogen, testosterone, progestrone etc. so I am using a progestrone cream and estrogen cream for about the last 2 months. It hasnt really seemed to help though, so I'm not sure-- but i definetly have low hormones. I have done just about every food test in the world and I really dont think its linked to a food. I spent tons of money on food sensetivity tests all of which never helped anything and was a waste. If i havent had my period for that long is it possible that I'm premenopausal?? I did get three opinons on the test results one Dr (who was awful) said they were normal (even though the bold letters said out of range), and another said I could treat it or not treat it depending on how it made me feel.

You probably want to read this: Open Original Shared Link

And find better doctors. Have you been checked for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)? It appears to be associated with celiac disease.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I would also give sublingual B12 a try. If you have been taking supplements with folate that can cause a false higher reading on the B12. Also for many of us the low normal limits that are gone by with B12 testing are too low and supplementation is needed.

Archived