This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tinnitis And Dry Eyes

Jackpru

Jackpru Rookie

Hi everyone well here's another puzzle to get your heads round. :huh:

I am one of the "newbys" have been gluten, Dairy, Soya and Nightshade free for 2 months. Up until the weekend I have been coping but then on Sunday morning I woke up with a burst blood vestle in my eye which has gone on to become dry eyes in both eyes and then to top it all Tinnitus, which I occassionally have had in the past but this is continuous just doesn't stop.

I have cut down on some of my vitamin and mineral supplements hoping that it could be because my blood pressure has dropped but by doing this it only makes my joints ache because I need the high doses of Calcium well I say high, am or was taking 1200mg of Calcium with Magnesium and vitamin D.

The only thing I can think is perhaps now I am absorbing the natural vitamins and minerals could this be the reason.

Anyway I will leave it with you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jackpru Rookie

:lol: Its okay I'm not going mad but am thinking about what I am eating everyday while I am looking at other peoples problems and one thing that I have increased by having practically every day or every other day and that is baked Red Potatoes (potassium) is this lowering my blood pressure and causing the problems?

I think the first couple of weeks when I went on the diet, Iwas eating more rice noodles and brown rice with my meals, so will have to cut the spuds out for a few days and see what happens. What an exciting life we lead B)

tarnalberry Community Regular

*LOW* blood pressure is unlikely to cause a burst blood vessel. (*HIGH* blood pressure can.) I would *STRONGLY* encourage you to get in to the doctor as soon as you can. A SUDDEN change like this needs to be looked at sooner rather than later.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I agree about getting to the doctor ASAP, but also wanted to mention that tinnitus can be a symptom of B12 deficiency. Both dry eyes and tinnitus can be symptoms of autoimmune problems.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Exactly as she says. Broken blood vessels in the eye is one of the first signs of high blood pressure. Ringing in the ears often can be high blood pressure too. Call.

Evie4 Apprentice
I agree about getting to the doctor ASAP, but also wanted to mention that tinnitus can be a symptom of B12 deficiency. Both dry eyes and tinnitus can be symptoms of autoimmune problems.

I have (undiagnosed) tinnitus in both ears. Very high pitched. I just started taking sublingual B12 less 3-4 weeks ago. Any idea how long it might take when/if it might improve? I don't have HBP.

elle's mom Contributor

Do you mean a blood vessel burst like on the white part (sclera) of your eye? At first I thought you meant on your retina......that is definately due to blood pressure &/or atherosclerosis and is very serious not only to your vision, but also to your health in general. But if you meant on the sclera, it's really no big deal-looks worse than it is. Could take 1-2 weeks to resolve completely, will gradually look better each day. Cold compresses may/may not help. It's usually due to either being on a blood thinner, straining (lifting something heavy or sneezing hard), or completely "idio"pathic (that means most "idio"t doctors can't figure it out ;) I'm not sure if anything related to vitamins or being new to a gluten-free diet could have anything to do with it, I'm sure it's possible though. Your theory about the potassium sounds logical actually.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
Do you mean a blood vessel burst like on the white part (sclera) of your eye? At first I thought you meant on your retina......that is definately due to blood pressure &/or atherosclerosis and is very serious not only to your vision, but also to your health in general. But if you meant on the sclera, it's really no big deal-looks worse than it is.

Sorry, I don't agree with this. I work for an optometrist...a few weeks ago, one of my fellow workers had a blood vessel break in the white part (sclera) while at work. He immediately took her into his office to take a look, and very quickly took her blood pressure...it was 180/110...high blood pressure.

Jack, definitely see your doctor..if it's not your blood pressure, great, if it is, good that you went.

Evie

I have (undiagnosed) tinnitus in both ears. Very high pitched. I just started taking sublingual B12 less 3-4 weeks ago. Any idea how long it might take when/if it might improve? I don't have HBP.
I have tinnitus too, have had for years, as long as I can remember. Four years ago, it got much worse, a field of cicadas in each ear. I went to an ENT, he did hearing tests, a cat scan, blood work...found no reason for it. He said some times tinnitus comes on for no reason, and may last forever, or may stop one day, just like it started. Certain weather seems to bother mine more...some times, I seem to be able to ignore it. It never keeps me awake anymore...right now, it's very loud. Funny though, it is cicada season here, and when I step outside, they are so loud, they drum out my tinnitus. :P

I have very good hearing with some things, yet some voices are very hard for me to understand..they seem garbled. No ryhme or reason for it.

elle's mom Contributor
Sorry, I don't agree with this. I work for an optometrist...a few weeks ago, one of my fellow workers had a blood vessel break in the white part (sclera) while at work. He immediately took her into his office to take a look, and very quickly took her blood pressure...it was 180/110...high blood pressure.

Jack, definitely see your doctor..if it's not your blood pressure, great, if it is, good that you went.

Evie

I have tinnitus too, have had for years, as long as I can remember. Four years ago, it got much worse, a field of cicadas in each ear. I went to an ENT, he did hearing tests, a cat scan, blood work...found no reason for it. He said some times tinnitus comes on for no reason, and may last forever, or may stop one day, just like it started. Certain weather seems to bother mine more...some times, I seem to be able to ignore it. It never keeps me awake anymore...right now, it's very loud. Funny though, it is cicada season here, and when I step outside, they are so loud, they drum out my tinnitus. :P

I have very good hearing with some things, yet some voices are very hard for me to understand..they seem garbled. No ryhme or reason for it.

darlindeb-

Actually, I am an optometrist and I may have NOT been as wordy I should have in my previous post but let me clarify....I just mean that a subconjunctival hemorrhage, as described by "Jack" (if he truly meant on the sclera-or more precisely between the conjuntival and scleral layers), although it COULD be associated with blood pressure is most definately much less URGENT of a matter than the other possibility of say either a branch or central vein occlusion (on the retina)......a MUCH more serious and urgent possibility. In other words people who get subconj hems hardly ever have any visual &/or systemic sequelae in contrary to BRVO or CRVO......which almost always lead to visual loss & can be indicative of serious cardiovascular downturn.........that is all I meant. The situation you described from the other day at your work would be a very rare circumstance and I don't think I want to scare people like that. But to be SURE I would agree that, yes, Jack should still see a doctor, just to rule out an underlying hypertensive crisis (highly unlikely with a subconj hem).

Evie4 Apprentice
Evie

Deb, good to know. Today is especially loud and it turns out we are going into stormy weather. I'll have to keep my eye on these patterns. I've learned to tune it out for the most part, but days like today, I have to turn the TV up or the radio on for distraction.

Jackpru Rookie

Thanks for all your replies which I am taking on board. The blood vessal blood is on the white of the eye and is now beginning to clear.

I have always had low blood pressure and whenever it is taken at the docs it is low but I think sometimes it can suddenly shoot up although I have no proof of this.

My eyes have been badly affected by this gluten and I started to have cataracts appear in my late forties. I had a detatched retina when I was pregnant in my twenties and had to have an implant, which is what they did in the seventies. I had both eyes done in my early fifties for cataracts and my right eye had the vitreous gelly come loose, which floats around the eye continouslly and have been told by my eye consultant that they cannot do anything about this.

So as you can imagine anything going on with my eyes sends me into complete panick and I am terrified of now going to the docs with anything to do with my eyes. But yes I will probably go and get my blood pressure checked out.

By the way I is female :lol:

darlindeb25 Collaborator
I have always had low blood pressure and whenever it is taken at the docs it is low but I think sometimes it can suddenly shoot up although I have no proof of this.

When I get glutened, my blood pressure goes up...and I always had low pressure, well, I think very good pressure...98/60. Now' it's always 120/80, sometimes 130/80. One day, they took my blood pressure, and it was 149/90, my doc was so surprised, he immediately scheduled a test for my heart, which I can't remember right now, but everything was fine. I wonder if I had been glutened then. <_<

Eyes are scary, they are the windows to our world. I have something going on with my right eye now, and my boss isn't quite sure what to think about it. I have this, what I call "glare", more like a smudge on my eyewear lens...I had tried to clean that smudge off for 3 weeks, finally asked the optician to check out the lens, nothing there. My boss says all he found was this pre pre pre cataract beginning, which may not show up for 15 years, and that I shouldn't even know it's there. Oh well, whatever it is, I know something is going on.

He always tells us, most anything going on with your body, can be seen in your eyes first. He sends many people to their PCP, diabetes, thyroid, liver, high blood pressure. They usually come back and thank him. Too bad they can't see celiac/gluten intolerance there first! ;)

Sorry Elle, I thought you told us you are a pharmacist. I have seen many patients come to our office with this broken blood vessel problem, and leave to see the PCP because of blood pressure. Only going by what I have experienced, not trying to undermine you. Sorry.

elle's mom Contributor

It' OK, ;) I wish I could look in your eye and see the "smudge" you're talking about.......not that your doc isn't competent, I'm sure he is from the sounds of it. Has he dilated your pupils to rule out a retinal issue?

babysteps Contributor

Jackpru, if you want to keep track of your blood pressure on your own, your local grocery store (or in some areas town hall or library) may have a free blood-pressure station. Free is my favorite price!

Obviously this is *not* a replacement for a Dr. checking out your immediate issue, but it could help you figure out if your bp does spike at times.

Of course if your bp spikes very briefly you may not want to hang out at the grocery store just waiting for that to happen ;)

ang1e0251 Contributor

:lol: Its okay I'm not going mad but am thinking about what I am eating everyday while I am looking at other peoples problems and one thing that I have increased by having practically every day or every other day and that is baked Red Potatoes (potassium) is this lowering my blood pressure and causing the problems?

Ok, in your first post you said you were nightshade free but here you say you're eating potatoes. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't potatoes nightshades?

Archived