termcder

Celiac Vs. Gluten Intolerance - Interpreting Test Results

Rate this topic

I am a 56 year old male and after nearly three years of terrible digestive issues I finally abandoned mainstream medical and went to a holistic practitioner. He ordered lab tests and the results indicate a severe gluten intolerance. I had been tested for Celiac a few months ago and it was negative.

I have been on a liver detox diet which is gluten free and have felt terrific. But this is all new to me and there is just the slightest skepticism about the result. I've been thinking that the fruits and vegetables I am consuming were putting things back in order.

My symptoms were constipation, fatigue, queasy stomach, lightheadedness, weakness, brain fog, etc. Essentially I was wiped out head to foot. Felt like I was coming down with flu. I often described at as feeling "poisoned." Would come on over a couple of days and last for a couple weeks then go away.

The lab tests were based on saliva analysis and the result indicated a 65 (not sure what that relates to). The doctor said that my results were the highest he had ever seen. Also indicated a milk intolerance.

Is this sort of result compatible with a negative Celiac result?

Thanks.

wow, interesting!

What did your natural doctor have to say about the negative celiac test? Also, do you remember what kind of tests you got done to detect a gluten intolerance? Im only asking because Im considering asking for similar tests.

Are you going to pursue it more, or just stay off the gluten?

wow, interesting!

What did your natural doctor have to say about the negative celiac test? Also, do you remember what kind of tests you got done to detect a gluten intolerance? Im only asking because Im considering asking for similar tests.

Are you going to pursue it more, or just stay off the gluten?

yes, can you provide us with the specific names of the tests performed, their results, and normal ranges?

Thanks. I don't have a copy of the test results but it was performed at Diagnos-Techs. I'll get more details.

He said 17 was the highest he had seen and that 12 was considered a positive indicator. But I'm really not sure what I'm talking about!

I'd really like to learn more about the test as I have never heard of a difinitive test for GI.

I had a saliva test from diagnos-techs before I had the traditional celiac testing. My DT test was blatantly negative yet my traditional blood work (ttg anti gliadin) were wildly positive. IMHO, I'd take that test with a grain of salt.

That's what I'm concerned about. It almost sounds like an erroneous reading. I'll get more info.

Here is some information:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/21677/1/Sim...ease/Page1.html

The research team concluded that it is possible to measure salivary tTG-Abs with a high level of accuracy; both at initial diagnosis for celiac disease, and also while patients are following a gluten-free diet.

So the way I read this, this is an antibody test and if he is positive that indicates celiac disease not GI. Is that correct?

Here is what the actual test result reads:

Gliadin Ab, SigA (Saliva) 65 Positive Borderline 13-15 U/ml Positive >15 U/ml

I am going to get the results from the Gastro MD blood panel for Celiac also.