dubstogsdill

Changing This Recipe To Gluten-free

Rate this topic

Hello! I want to make this recipe for some friends that have to eat gluten-free. Do I need to add xanthan gum to this, or just substitute gluten-free flour? Thanks in advance!!

Strawberry Bread

3 cups flour

1 tsp. soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. salt

2 cups sugar

2 (10 oz.) packages frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed

I would add some xanthan gum. Or use prepared ready to use flour with added xanthan gum as it is VERY pricey. I made cookies with gluten-free flour and no xanthan gum and it ended up as chocolate chip crumble.

You will need to substitute xanthan or guar gum or use a gluten-free flour with it already added. I would suggest that you purchase a pre-mixed gluten-free flour like Bob's Red Mill or Pamela's.

It looks very similar to another recipe I converted. You can probably just swap out the flour, but I would recommend a blend rather than just straight rice flour, for example. You will need to add xanthan gum, something like 1 to 1 1/2 t. It is pricey, but if you do a lot of baking, it's worth it. You use small amounts so it lasts a long time. I just recently bought more after buying my first bag a year ago.

My advise is to make muffins with this recipe. Muffins rise better without falling than bread IMO. Buy a gluten-free all purpose flour mix. Make sure it has zanthan or guar gum.

Gluten-free bread making is a very tricky business with a long learning curve. At least it was for me, and I'm a long time experienced bread maker. Actually, I pretty much gave it up as the results were just too disapointing to me. Perhaps my love of bread was just too much to substitute with gluten-free.

If you are not baking these the same day they are to be served, I would freeze them, and heat in the microwave later. gluten-free bread does not keep well unless frozen.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck, lm